Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Shows
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2008, 10:33 AM  
Coming two

How to start showing?

I have considered showing my horses before but have absolutely no clue as to where to start.
I have :
Moon- almost two months, registerable half arab (paperwork pending), Rainbow, 15 years registered arab
Ruby- 8 year old grade (best guess is morgan cross)

None have been shown before and I have never even been to a show. I would appriciate any info as to where to start. I don't even know if Ruby can be shown since she is grade.
missa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:36 AM  
Bombproof Member

Start going to your local shows and watch. That would be a good start. Join clubs and help out and learn about showing.

Your grade horse can do local shows but not breed shows.

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:16 AM  
Coming two

Closest thing to a show around here is rodeos. Actual show shows take place two hours away. I think there is an AQHA show this month.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:13 PM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missa View Post
Closest thing to a show around here is rodeos. Actual show shows take place two hours away. I think there is an AQHA show this month.

Don't be shell shocked when you go to an AQHA show. Big money there in tack and show clothes, not to mention big money horses !!!!

Old 07-10-2008, 12:24 PM  
Coming two

I don't doubt it for a second. I have seen some pics of show clothes and wondered why in the world you would want to be that shiney. I am wanting to concentrate on halter for Moon (obviously at his age), so is bling show clothes needed for that?
Also I am unfamilar with all classes. What could I show Rain and Ruby in?
Old 07-10-2008, 12:27 PM  
Kid Safe

Do you not have a local 4H? Go to one of their shows.

I wouldn't start out at the AQHA ahows, those are the big wigs who have been doing it for years.

You just want to get your feet wet and test the waters. I bet if yousniffed around you will be able to find soem local shows that are small enough to learn and have fun
DoBeSassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:28 PM  
Bombproof Member

In a local/open show, just a nice pair of good fitting, nondfadded jeans and long sleeve shirt will do. Nice hat,belt and boots. Nice fitting leather halter/lead w/ or w/o silver.

You could go into their age specific classes, their breed specific classes, grooming classes, showmanship classes. Some shows are doing in-hand trail now.

Just get some show bills and look.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:29 PM  
Kid Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by missa View Post
I don't doubt it for a second. I have seen some pics of show clothes and wondered why in the world you would want to be that shiney. I am wanting to concentrate on halter for Moon (obviously at his age), so is bling show clothes needed for that?
Also I am unfamilar with all classes. What could I show Rain and Ruby in?
For a smaller show, a nice long sleeved shirt should be fine.

And it depends on what they do. Most shows have speed events, like barrels poles, etc.

You could enter anything you want just to try it out. Then go home and work onthe events you found to be the most fun.
DoBeSassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:34 PM  
Seasoned

Send a message via Yahoo to Diamond_Y
Missa, not sure where in OK you are located, but HAT (Horse Association of Texoma) puts on shows monthly. There are a lot of small local horse clubs in north Texas, Red River Horse Club are Hunt County Horse Club are two that I'm acquainted with.
Diamond_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:36 PM  
Long Yearling

Here is a link to something I found when I did a search http://www.oklahomahorseonline.com/c...r/calendar.htm

Also, if you have no idea about showing, find even a local 4H show and go and watch. Go to the AQHA show and watch. Make notes of what classes you liked and what you think you can do with your horses. Do you like pleasure classes or games. Patterns or rail work? English or western. Another resource would be the local 4H, most of them have a website with the handbooks online, they are free for you to access and it will give you and idea of what to practice. Here in MN we have local saddle clubs everywhere and the 4H is strong here. If you want the link to the MN 4H info let me know I can PM it to you.
cindyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:53 PM  
Coming two

I wasn't going to show in AQHA, I was just going to watch, don't even own a qh anymore. My niece is in 4h and the only 'horse' related shows is all speed events (aka rodeo events). Rain was/is used for playin on the barrels but I have never took her full out on them, just played around at the trot. Ruby I am still learning about what she does and doesn't know. I plan to try her out on the barrels when I can get to the arena. I have always rode western and recently purchased my first english saddle and started riding in it. Most likely I would need to stick to western/ in hand events. I am not a barrel racer and do not want to compete in it.
Diamand Y- I am about two hours north of you.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:57 PM  
Seasoned

Send a message via Yahoo to Diamond_Y
Check out HAT, here's their website: http://www.hat-texoma.org/

They do have events in southern OK.
Diamond_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:31 PM  
Weanling Member

With your Arabian and half-Arabian, you can join AHA and have access to a list of local Regional clubs around you. You pay for membership in AHA as well as a Regional club, and boom, you're in the Arabian show world.

Some fun, low key classes to start with are Sport Horse in-Hand, Sport Horse under Saddle, Halter Showmanship, In-hand Trail (in some regions, not for points). Arabian Halter classes are extremely competitive, and your horse needs to be in absolutely peak condition. For Sport Horse, it's a little more laid back. Just a clean bridle on the horse, and some light pants and a blouse for you.

Unfortunately, Western Pleasure at Arabian shows is pretty ridiculous in terms of cost. $1200 saddles are "cheap".
grullatobiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:43 PM  

With the AHA you can find out if they put on any community shows. This is where people start in our area that can't afford the Class A shows.

We have 3 high point shows a year. AHAN loves to get new people in to show. The people at the Nebraska shows are very helpful. I would go watch first and start asking questions.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:22 AM  
Weanling Member

I'M NOT TRYING TO BE MEAN!!!!!!

if i were in your situation, i would find a trainer who shows and has students showing, too. take lessons. go to shows with the trainer. and maybe show a lesson horse instead of your own a few times to get the hang of it.
just to get your feet wet on a been-there-done-that horse.

then maybe show your own horses.

good luck.
2manypets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:33 AM  
Newborn Member

A trainer is definitely the way to go. It is frustrating to show and not know why you aren't placing - you'll have a better time if you take some lessons first and get some guidance about what your horses' "niche" is - are they more english type? western type? games? A good trainer can help you figure out your horses' talents and enhance them.
astarte is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Shows