Horsetopia Forum

Horsetopia Forum (http://forum.horsetopia.com/index.php)
-   Shows (http://forum.horsetopia.com/shows-21/)
-   -   What's your horse show pet peeve? (http://forum.horsetopia.com/shows/54738-whats-your-horse-show-pet-peeve.html)

Ney 04-18-2007 05:50 AM

I ride at middle school- and high school-level RIFNA shows, and from what I've heard, those are a lot more gentle than a lot of the higher-up English shows.

At any rate, it really makes me mad when the shows start late. I live an hour away from the show barn, so when they ask me to be there at 8:30 on a weekend when I could be catching up on sleep that I missed from going to school, I like to think it's reasonable to expect that they'll keep with the schedule unless something important comes up. *shrug*

Also, at one show, the judge asked us to use only half the ring (which seemed kinda silly, since there were five riders, but okay) and this one younger girl stayed on my horse's butt the ENTIRE TIME. I'd cross the ring to get away from her, and she'd follow me. Every. Single. Time. And all through the class, the judge kept asking us to spread out. :/

I also really can't stand it when the girls wear ariat/tailored sportsman/any other expensive brand breeches that don't fit. Either their britches are sagging off of them, or they're getting a little too close for everyone's comfort.

Hairnets make me angry too, but I've been told that I'm just going to have to get used to that.

doyle82 04-18-2007 06:05 PM

This just happened to me this week.
I'm all gung ho and excited aobut my first show this weekend for the season. It would have been the first walk, jog, lope class Ki & I have ever done. Figured it'd be great practice before our riding club's open shows start in May.
Well, the barn hosting the show just pulled the entire Western Division off the class list! :shock:
They don't evan have an adult class for any seat! Its English or nothing if I want 3 gaits.
No way am I showing English after working all winter and spring on Western and riding one handed.

Lopin 04-18-2007 07:34 PM

I think the outfits are the best part! 8-)

Doyle, sorry to hear that they pulled all the western classes; that sucks! Any idea why?

Ney, I had a simliar incident at one of my National Finals. The girl was on the side of me the entire class. I'd slow down, so would she. I'd speed up, so would she. I'd cut, she'd cut. I'd head towards the inside, she'd still be there. :roll:

Dreams 04-18-2007 08:04 PM

A big pet peeve of mine at horse shows are people who practice showmanship in the halter make up area. Competitors are trying to do last minute touchups on their horses and bang someone slams their horse into you doing a pivot or is walking in front of you, your mentally preparing for your class and wham they stop dead and begin backing up at a fast pace. I've seen so many near wrecks because of this and the person practicing the showmanship is completely oblivious to it. That is not the time or place for that.

doyle82 04-19-2007 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lopin
Doyle, sorry to hear that they pulled all the western classes; that sucks! Any idea why?

They're a dressage barn and although they advertise lessons in all seats it seems to me that they really only do huntseat and dressage instruction.

Where they aren't overly encouraging of Western riders, they don't normally get alot in the class so they pulled it. I'm fine that they pulled the division but at least give an open Adult Division so you could ride any seat!

Perrys_mama 04-19-2007 09:58 AM

Quote:

Ney, I had a simliar incident at one of my National Finals. The girl was on the side of me the entire class. I'd slow down, so would she. I'd speed up, so would she. I'd cut, she'd cut. I'd head towards the inside, she'd still be there.
That's a strategy in Irish Dancing...two competitors (sometimes 3) on the stage at once dancing to the same music but with different choreography, competing for the judges' attention. Remember, lots of flippy little kicks and jumps in Irish, and there are often some spectacular collisions ;)

Are horse classes like that? Maybe by riding your butt she was trying to make it look like your horse was pokey?

More than likely, her horse wouldn't listen to her though...the horse figured YOU made the better "lead mare".

paso_lover 04-19-2007 10:09 AM

People that look down upon other because they have a horse of a different breed that does not typically jump or game, then start rumors to discredit your credibility :angry4: :angry5: angry9: . Yep that's what they did to me.

Linebacker55 04-19-2007 05:57 PM

Quote:

Ney, I had a simliar incident at one of my National Finals. The girl was on the side of me the entire class. I'd slow down, so would she. I'd speed up, so would she. I'd cut, she'd cut. I'd head towards the inside, she'd still be there. :roll:

huh... sounds like a spur to her horse was in order :twisted:

Crazy4paints 04-19-2007 06:18 PM

Spoiled rotten students with rude,obnoxious, trainer wannabee's that constantly think they are the ONLY people at the show grounds..

People who squeeze right up against your trailer so close that you can barely get your horse out, or open the doors.

doyle82 04-19-2007 06:22 PM

ohoh! I've got one!
People who takes their $30,000 horse to a small (and I mean small) little mini shows.
Whats the point in spending all that on the horse if you're only going to show in minin shows?

Lopin 04-19-2007 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perrys_mama
Maybe by riding your butt she was trying to make it look like your horse was pokey?

More than likely, her horse wouldn't listen to her though...the horse figured YOU made the better "lead mare".

No. She was trying to cover me up from the judges. I know who her trainer is and I could hear him telling her to do it. :evil:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linebacker55

I wish! :lol:

This was one of the riders from the same trainer who a couple years earlier literally smushed me in one of my classes. We were working the first way of the ring and there were only 4 of us in the class. Me and 3 of his riders. :roll: The judge called for the walk the first way of the ring and one girl was ahead of me, one was on the side of me and the other was in my back pocket (literally). :evil: I was trying to figure out what to do (he was definitely doing it on purpose, you could hear him yelling at his riders telling them where to go!) and he yelled to two of his girls to stop so naturally I had to hit the brakes to avoid hitting the girl ahead of me and then the girl behind me plowed right into the back of my horse. Real nice. Other trainers and people were NOT happy with the stunt he pulled. How stupid (and childish!)

So needless to say, I was not suprised with what he pulled at that show.

Then the show following the National Finals, I was working my horse in the ring late at night and it was just me and this 'low life trainer' on a horse. He was coming SO close to me, he was actually brushing up against my horse and our stirrups were hitting. I was so mad, but I kept my cool and said real smugly, " _____, I don't know why you're wasting your time trying to screw us up, it doesn't bother her at all."

He has stayed away from me from that point on. :D

Linebacker55 04-20-2007 05:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perrys_mama
Maybe by riding your butt she was trying to make it look like your horse was pokey?

No. She was trying to cover me up from the judges. I know who her trainer is and I could hear him telling her to do it. :evil:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linebacker55

I wish! :lol:

This was one of the riders from the same trainer who a couple years earlier literally smushed me in one of my classes. We were working the first way of the ring and there were only 4 of us in the class. Me and 3 of his riders. :roll: The judge called for the walk the first way of the ring and one girl was ahead of me, one was on the side of me and the other was in my back pocket (literally). :evil: I was trying to figure out what to do (he was definitely doing it on purpose, you could hear him yelling at his riders telling them where to go!) and he yelled to two of his girls to stop so naturally I had to hit the brakes to avoid hitting the girl ahead of me and then the girl behind me plowed right into the back of my horse. Real nice. Other trainers and people were NOT happy with the stunt he pulled. How stupid (and childish!)

So needless to say, I was not suprised with what he pulled at that show.

Then the show following the National Finals, I was working my horse in the ring late at night and it was just me and this 'low life trainer' on a horse. He was coming SO close to me, he was actually brushing up against my horse and our stirrups were hitting. I was so mad, but I kept my cool and said real smugly, " _____, I don't know why you're wasting your time trying to screw us up, it doesn't bother her at all."

He has stayed away from me from that point on. :D

Well I can tell you honestly that you are an exemplary exhibitor! I am not that nice at all. I would have spurred the horse boxing me on to the rail,and if that trainer got too close and rubbed stirrups with me I would have spurred him!

Hey gotta use those nice shiney spurrs for something! :twisted: :twisted:

KatieMae 04-20-2007 06:05 AM

Now, I don't know how much this still applies in shows, but I severly dislike people who don't acknowledge the "red ribbon in the tail" tactic... I can't tell you how many people I have seen jump down somebody's throat because they walked their horse 4 feet behind theirs, the horse with no red ribbon, then critisizes the person for not knowing their horse kicks... Of course, you can't assume no horse will kick, but still.. Common Courtesy!!

And to whoever mentioned Coaching from the side lines, I whole heartedly agree... If I had a dollar for every trainer that I've listened to in the middle of my own class, screaming across the arena to their student to put their heels down... I'd be bloody rich!

I also saw somebody mention people being late/holding up classes... I have a great story about that. I had been on the back of my horse for 3-4 straight hours in the amazing 95 degree Florida weather when I got down to my last 3 classes, 2 over fences one on flat.. Well, this "well known" trainer decides that his older students were not to ride unless he was presant (brings me right back to coaching from the side lines) so he demanded that his 4 younger students ride their 3 classes back to back... Which means, I had to wait for another 15, 20 or so minutes.. So not only did his 4 students ride back to back while he held up BOTH show arenas, he rode the same 3 classes as I, and nearly fell off over 2 foot fences only AFTER coaching a student from the sideline to step into her outside stirrup causing her, and her entire saddle to fall off thanks to lack of a girth check.

(deep breath) All in all, I've stopped showing as of late :)
And that concludes my rant..

doyle82 04-20-2007 06:07 AM

The good thing for me last year showing the Green Horse Division was that I was the only Western rider.
So, they couldn't box me in if they wanted to! They would have had to walk their horses to keep pace with my jog! :D

irishmusic 04-23-2007 08:15 AM

Bad Judging!! 'nuf said...

Politics!

Warm-up rings..... I had words yesterday with a trainer that was weaving her horse through heavy traffic at a canter going the wrong way . Watched as riders had to yank their horses to get out of this trainers way.

shorty45177 04-23-2007 10:56 AM

One word, DOGS! It's a horse show, not a dog show. Even if ur dog is trained and quiet. the people who let their dogs run free to pee all over my hay and stall decorations and fetch brushes of mine to take to their master. It's just not cute anymore. I have 3 wonderful dogs. All are good around horses BUT THEY STAY AT HOME. There is nothing like having a happy puppy worming its way under your horses feet as you enter the pen, or barking all night becaause master is out drinking around the camp fire with friends and puppy is locked in camper howling. this is why we never get sleep. I love dogs just not at a show.