Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Shows
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2009, 06:02 PM  
Yearling Member

Un-Registered horses in the show place

So I have always wanted to know this, and am extremely curious to hear what everyone has to say. I've never shown but am interested to do so in the future. So just bare with me here as this may be a really stupid question to some people

Ok, so can un-registered horses show in the big main shows or no? I know that there are the pinto shows, QH shows, etc etc...but is there a place for un-registered horses other than open shows? Does it depend on the type of riding, western, dressage, hunter, etc?

In Horse and Rider this month, there was an article about an un-registered horse, Jackyl, who ended up being a champion roping horse. How did he go about doing this?

Just curious! If someone could explain, that would be greeeaaattt....

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2009, 06:23 PM  
Bombproof Member

Could have been a Champion (World) Roper on the PBR circuit ??

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:38 PM  
Long Yearling

I think if it's a discipline show, ie/dressage, roping, reining, breed isn't a requirement. You might not do as well, because the judges do tend to favor certain breeds for certain sports. I have no idea about super high level showing, but I remember several unregistered horses or non-traditional breeds (QHs, Apps, etc) at one of the regional dressage shows I used to go watch.
bubbleslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:31 PM  
Kid Safe

It really just depends. Some associations don't require the horse to be previously registered. ARHA requires the horse be registered with a stock horse type registry. BUT not all associations are like that. I have no idea what the requirements are for NRHA, USEF, NBHA etc.

I think you would have to research the assoiciation you want to be in.

my opinion? I could really care less what the horse is, as long as it does it well.

On the other hand, I would not stick $5000 worth of pleasure training on a grade horse, not worth it cuz not enough shows... If there were more that would be a different story.

Heck, around here there aren't even enough open (money) shows for me to even try to go to an all-breed show. But if there was, I would be there reguardless of what kind of mutt my horse was.

The only reason why I decided on a quarter horse was because I knew there were AQHA shows around here.
Sirita_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:50 AM  
Greenbroke Member

We (my daughter) only shows open shows. Dressage, eventing, jumpers... My ex-husband grew up showing AQHA and the politics were/are a real turnoff. Who you ride/train with is as import as how well you ride... I love a sport where an unknown underdog has a chance to compete and win against the big names!
Miichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:06 AM  
Started

I would stick with the open shows for now....that way you can see how well she does in the open shows and then if you want to pay the money for entry fees and the money to haul the horse and everything and you feel your horse has a chance at the big shows...then look into the big shows. I think you will find that the open shows are just as fun
Old 11-24-2009, 10:08 AM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirita_88 View Post
my opinion? I could really care less what the horse is, as long as it does it well.

On the other hand, I would not stick $5000 worth of pleasure training on a grade horse, not worth it cuz not enough shows... If there were more that would be a different story.

Heck, around here there aren't even enough open (money) shows for me to even try to go to an all-breed show. But if there was, I would be there reguardless of what kind of mutt my horse was.

The only reason why I decided on a quarter horse was because I knew there were AQHA shows around here.
I agree completely. I'm not planning on putting thousands of dollars of training into Lena because she is not registered. She could only do open shows, trail riding, etc. So far, I am really impressed with how she is coming along, but there are many people who have started talking to me about her and then as soon as I say she isn't registered, their temperment changes right away.

Miichelle- If I started showing, it would only be open shows, but it just got me to wondering. Especially since I am not 100% sure on Lena's future with me. I have heard about the politics involved with shows and it does turn me off a little!

Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 11-24-2009, 10:24 AM  
GV4
Yearling Member

You can take them as far as your pocketbook and abilities are able to! It just won't happen under a breed specific show. Here is the ultimate example.
http://www.oconnoreventteam.com/ocet...e_OConnor.aspx
GV4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:05 AM  
Kid Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miichelle View Post
We (my daughter) only shows open shows. Dressage, eventing, jumpers... My ex-husband grew up showing AQHA and the politics were/are a real turnoff. Who you ride/train with is as import as how well you ride... I love a sport where an unknown underdog has a chance to compete and win against the big names!
I don't believe that is true. There is just as much politics at the local saddle club... If not more.

I do not have a trainer, I do not associate with anyone. Everyone is very nice to me and I win all the time, even in amateur and open classes.

I have brought 2 people with me that both thought they had no chance, and that the people were all snobs. Both of them were amazed at the hospitality they recieved at the shows.

I have been to open money shows where the WRONG horse definately won while a horse that was a given LOST because it was shown by a big name trainer

So there are politics everywhere IMO.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:39 AM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirita_88 View Post
I have brought 2 people with me that both thought they had no chance, and that the people were all snobs. Both of them were amazed at the hospitality they recieved at the shows.
I should give these shows a fair chance. I guess, it is not that the politics turn me off, but this "rumor" does intimidate me!

GV4- Lena and I won't be going anywhere for a while then, as my pocketbook is running low! But that is nice to know, thanks for the example!
Old 11-25-2009, 09:57 PM  
Greenbroke Member

To each his own. I want to know why my horse placed as it did. In dressage a copy of the test is given to me so I can see why I was given the score I was (or my daughter since it's been years since I've shown). And jumping (and eventing) is pretty straight forward. Did the horse jump the fence or didn't it? I love the competion but not based stricty on one judge's opinion. Never could get into rail classes or hunters, too subjective...
Miichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:28 AM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnBum View Post
Could have been a Champion (World) Roper on the PBR circuit ??

PBR is bull riding. How about PRCA, which is rodeo? A lot of good rope horses have no papers, and the same is true for a lot of barrel horses. There are several "professional" roping associations where one could compete, as well as the Barrel horse associations. Of course, rodeo and speed events aren't considerd "showing" by some folks, they are contests.
theoldbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:30 AM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miichelle View Post
To each his own. I want to know why my horse placed as it did. In dressage a copy of the test is given to me so I can see why I was given the score I was (or my daughter since it's been years since I've shown). And jumping (and eventing) is pretty straight forward. Did the horse jump the fence or didn't it? I love the competion but not based stricty on one judge's opinion. Never could get into rail classes or hunters, too subjective...

That's why roping, sorting, penning, barrels, other speed events appeal to so many folks: the performance determines the outcome, and the clock and the score are objective.
theoldbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:50 AM  
Bombproof Member

In registered shows like AQHA, APHA, IBHA, etc., etc., have to be registered. Rodeo's, NBHA do not have to be registered. You will have to check with the other type of discipline shows like reining, dressage, which there are others than the breed shows that may not require a horse to be registered.

I quit showing halter, WP, etc., etc. because of the Politics which IMO is a lot more than the speed event shows due to as Theoldbear pointed out, time clock dont lie.

Actually going on 6 years
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:46 PM  
Newborn Member

I show in a small local "Association" show. Two of them actually. At Tri Lakes they have a variety of events. Halter, western pleasure, 2 english classes (flat), gaited classes. Later that evening they have speed events. Only the gaited mare I ride is registered.. I took 2 horses. My appendix did hunt seat equitation, and english pleasure. We qualified for the state horse show. I went, but did not place. This is my first year showing . I was just happy to be there and perform to the best of my ability.

But me and my horses worked hard to have that chance. At the shows, a minimum of 3 were in gaited halter and up to 15 later in the season. I NEVER didn't place in that class. This was my horse's first time in the show ring.

English minimum of 3 in first show and up to 18 later. We did place under at least one judge all but one time.

I think there were about 20 shows. My appendix also did barrels. Our first year in that too. He knew when the western saddle, bit change and he got to wear his boots that it was time to speed up! We went from 26 seconds as complete beginners to 18 seconds (2 seconds behind the top runners) in one season. also got a 1st place in arena race, and a 2nd in poles. I am extremely proud.

All done at local "open" shows. For points toward year end prizes. At tri-lakes some people are not very sociable, but as you meet people they will introduce you to others. Now I have a lot of new friends. The judges are different every time you show. Still some politics, but not too bad.

The 2nd place I show is the local County Saddle Club. Much more friendly- only speed events and no pleasure. So it isn't people with high dollar horses who stay at trainers during the week and show on weekends like at tri lakes. BUT a lot of people in this club also show at tri lakes. So I knew people from there.

I have had mostly good experiences with open shows. Other than the announcer not paying attention to "Tack Change" on a card and me missing a class.

I also do NBHA. Plan on showing in SSHBEA- Spotted Saddle Horse Breeder and Exhibitor Association next year at local events. Plus all my horses are barefoot. Gaited horse does fine with no shoes and I don't ride on rocks. So I save money by doing that.
blue_rose2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:21 AM  
Yearling Member

Both of my daughters horse are un-registered and she does quite well at the many local shows we go to each year. The barn we board at the trainer is into the QH scene and tries to push us that way and buy a QH so we can show QH. Everytime they tell me how much this show or that show costs my jaw just drops. I could never afford to do what they do. They went to the Congress this year and spent thousands.
We enjoy our local riding club shows. You get to know the people personally and form friendship. My daughter is very competivie in the ring but can laugh and joke with the same girls outside the ring.
Horse Show Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:15 PM  
Kid Safe

Okay, this is getting OT, but like horseshowmom said...

I show AQHA, but I belong to TQHA and only show at the TQHA sponsored AQHA shows (it's our state club) But the points are AQHA and we get lots of out of state point-chaisers, even WC come to tennesee. Anyways, we are definately friends outside the ring. Yes, the first few times I went I didn't get talked to a lot because nobody new me, but really once my horses started beating thiers the doors opened wide. It sounds snotty, but I just started showing up more and they knew who I was. After that we hang out, laugh, joke, and have a tonnn of fun. Everyone knows eachother, we have fun classes like costume, dog costumes, dog trials, themed classes like "hillbilly" for the hillbilly circuit, "dare your trainer to ride a reiner" was a youth fundraiser, trainers drew names out of a hat and we had reiners brought in, The trainers had like 10 min to warm up thier horse. People bid on which trainerw would win the class. that was hilarious to watch, some pleasure trainers were clueless lol.

But we are one big happy family. Sure, we have big names come but we all get along and laugh. At the end of the day we all hang out at our trailers and have a good time! They are expensive, but I don't believe there are that many politics involved, and that's my opnion. These judges are PAID and spend a lot of time and money getting thier cards, they aren't going to jeprodize thier careers. But it does have OPIONIONS and some judges like a certain look more than others, and that's just something you have to deal with. You KNOW you are good when every judge you show under likes you =).

In my saddle club we had Teenagers, or adults who have been showing there forever judge the classes, and let me tell you, they were biased. Heck, I won my halter class every time because my horse was a pretty color went to the state, took 6th out of 45 in halter by a supposedly certified judge. Go to an AQHA show.. and I get placed at the bottom of the halter classes every time. Go figure....
Old 12-06-2009, 08:30 PM  
Weanling Member

I have an unreg. Morgan cross quarter horse. I Have shown him in open english flat, western pleasure (anything at an open western/english show). I also had him in Hunter/jumper, and roping. He been in Provincial barrel racing, team penning, cattle sorting (could quilify for Nationals). Before we had him, he apparently was shown in eventing, dressage, and driving. You can show a horse in pretty much anything that isn't breed or colour related. If your horse is like a Buckskin, Palomino, Pinto, etc you can find registeries for these colours, and then you can show them on that circuit.
AllAroundCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:15 PM  
Halter broke

The ONLY shows where the horse has to have papers are breed shows. AQHA, APHA, etc.
Unregistered horses can show in NCHA, NRCHA, NRHA, as well as Dressage, Hunters, Jumpers, Eventing, etc.
Actually a Mustang placed in the top 10 at the Snaffle Bit Futurity once. I also had a friend who rode a Mustang in NCHA compeitions and another who competed (and won) up through 4th level dressage on a BLM Mustang.
So really as long as you are callous enough to ignore snooty "breed" people you can ride your unregistered horse just about anywhere.
madel_equestrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:23 PM  
Halter broke

The ONLY shows where the horse has to have papers are breed shows. AQHA, APHA, etc.
Unregistered horses can show in NCHA, NRCHA, NRHA, as well as Dressage, Hunters, Jumpers, Eventing, etc.
Actually a Mustang placed in the top 10 at the Snaffle Bit Futurity once. I also had a friend who rode a Mustang in NCHA compeitions and another who competed (and won) up through 4th level dressage on a BLM Mustang.
So really as long as you are callous enough to ignore snooty "breed" people you can ride your unregistered horse just about anywhere.
madel_equestrian is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Shows