Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Shows
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2009, 08:23 AM  
Long Yearling

Team sorting vs ranch sorting?

So I have a friend wanting to get involved in "team sorting" at one of our local arenas this winter, there is going to be a bunch of practices then there is going to be a buckle series... She was telling me about this "team sorting" and asked me if I wanted to go.. I said sure who would be our other team member.. she said there is only two on the team... I thought team sorting was three people on horse back in an arena "sorting the cows out in numbered order''.. Now from what I am seeing "ranch sorting" is 2 people on horse back ina 60' diameter "round pen" with and opening" to sort the cattle in numerical order through..
So I guess I am wondering if the guy putting this on really dosen't know what he's doing.. or maybe I have no ..can someone help me out here? What exactly is the differnece between team sorting and ranch sorting..
I am game either way but I don't want to get involved wioth a group who really has no clue. and then try to compwete when the people making up the rules of the game don't even understand the game..

Quality Peformance horses with foundation breeding
http://blackcanyonpaints.webs.com/
CowhorseGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:50 AM  
Long Yearling

Maybe she is just saying the wrong thing. We do 2 and 3 man sorting and your right, one is with 2 people in a small area and 3 man is in a large arena. Both are alot of fun!
samtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:05 AM  
Long Yearling

I've seen the advert. on CL the guy putting it on is calling it "team sorting".. so if she is saying it wrong it is because he told her wrong...so are the rules very differnet.. or is it just the size of the "working Area"? I have team penned (my old team still holds an arena record).. I loved that but I have never done any sorting..I am looking forward to trying it out..

Quality Peformance horses with foundation breeding
http://blackcanyonpaints.webs.com/
CowhorseGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:01 AM  
Long Yearling

Penning is fast and involves more running then sorting does. In the 2 man the pens are in a figure 8 and one man goes in the herd while the other blocks keeps the wron cows from going through the middle. 3 man is one man is in the herd while the other 2 hold the line in an arena. I do not find the rules are different it still works the same as in they call a number and you sort the cows in order. I posted a video of my daughter 3 man sorting in the thread below this one, but it does nto show much. Wish I had a better video. When will you be trying it? If you'd like I can try to get a video of 2 man sorting this Wed. if it ever stops raining long enough to dry the ground up.
samtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:55 PM  
Started

We team sort, it's the most common in our area - which is like Sam said, kind of a figure 8 pen with cows on one side and you have to send the correct # cow thru the center opening without a "trash" (or wrong #) cow going thru out of order.

I know alot of the guys we ride with ranch sort too. Slightly different, but very much the same with only 2 people riding at a time from what they tell me. We have to travel a ways to ranch sort, but there's a regular sorting every weekend locally. In our area when 3 people ride it is most times called team penning - but that could just be an area thing as I have also heard of 3 man sortings which I think is basically the same as penning.
lopintoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Shows