Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Product Reviews
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2008, 02:15 PM  
Yearling Member

Amplify, weight supplement by Purina

- Product Info -
Manufacturer: Purina
Product Name: Amplify
Product Type/Product purpose: Weight supplement
Price and Purchase info: Approximately $30 for a 30lb pail

- Product Description -

Pros: Comes in an easy-to-feed nugget instead of a powder, paste, or gel. For those in need of drastic weight gain, it is 30% fat! Advertised to really help pack on the pounds!

Cons: Recommended by my vet, but only available through my Purina dealer. I had to special order it, luckily my Purina guy is like a member of the family so no extra charges there! My vet also cautioned that some horses do not like the taste, due to its high fat content, but that the nuggets can be ground, mashed, or soaked and added to feed easily.

Would you recommend this to a friend?: I don't know yet. I am starting this a little early, my pail isn't coming in until Wednesday, I will begin feeding it on Thursday. I plan to do a "weight gain journal" in this thread- before and after pictures, updates on likes and dislikes, and so on.

Other comments: We'll see on this one guys! I had never heard of Amplify and had been adding Weight Builder to her feed at an astronomical rate with no results; I actually found out about Amplify when I went to the vet to discuss possible Euthanasia if she does not improve. For those of you who don't know, we have a very hard to keep QH mare in her 30's and she went downhill fast this winter. Hopefully this will help pick her up, and any other hard cases out there!

Overall Product rating: (out of 10) ?
Reviewed by: dcs2004
Old 03-17-2008, 02:20 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Amplify is an excellent fat supplement.
What else are you feeding ?
calicocalgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:38 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocalgirl View Post
Good to know. I won a bucket of it this winter at a stallion auction. But I don't have any skinny horses to feed it to right now so it's just sitting on the porch.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:44 PM  
Kid Safe

Traci-About how much does it cost or what would the cost be for feeding one horse a month's supply?

"The only way to have a friend is to be one."
roberts617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:54 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Amplify comes in 30lb container (will be available in 50lb bag soon, if not already in some areas)
Start at 1lb and increase until desired feeding rate. however, most horses wont eat several lbs of it for some reason. I would say probably feed no more than 2-3lbs a day. Feed until desired results, if horse is a constant maintenance problem with weight, continue to feed top rate for probably 30 days once they have gained the weight. Then see if you can cut back.

I sell it for $28.00. I would guess some dealers are going to be a bit more expensive so it would range $$28-$35 depending on your area.

Can be feed with other feeds, dont recommend adding alot of supplements.
I would suggest Amplify with something like Equine Senior.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:56 PM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocalgirl View Post
She is currently on Purina Equine Senior, about 8-10lbs per day split into three feedings. We have tried everything in the past, beet pulp, WeightBuilder, alfalfa pellets, nothing has been able to pull her out of this slump yet. Because of her age and temperment floating her teeth requires fairly heavy sedation, and our vet's opinion is that she is too old to be subjected to that. So, she nibbles at the hay, and eats grass fairly well, but not great. She always loses weight during the winter, but never anything as drastic as this. And to add insult to injury, she had a hip injury in her youth that was undisclosed until last year; it really limits the amont of weight that she can carry to begin with. So, we find ourselves between the inevitable rock and hard place...hopefully, we squeeze out of it soon!
Old 03-17-2008, 06:13 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs2004 View Post
She is currently on Purina Equine Senior, about 8-10lbs per day split into three feedings. We have tried everything in the past, beet pulp, WeightBuilder, alfalfa pellets, nothing has been able to pull her out of this slump yet. Because of her age and temperment floating her teeth requires fairly heavy sedation, and our vet's opinion is that she is too old to be subjected to that. So, she nibbles at the hay, and eats grass fairly well, but not great. She always loses weight during the winter, but never anything as drastic as this. And to add insult to injury, she had a hip injury in her youth that was undisclosed until last year; it really limits the amont of weight that she can carry to begin with. So, we find ourselves between the inevitable rock and hard place...hopefully, we squeeze out of it soon!
8-10 per day??
Double that, especially if she isnt eating hay and you can feed her 3x a day.
If Equine Senior is the only source (or mostly) of fiber , you need to feed wayyy more than you would as just a regular feed.
I would probably gradually up her feed and add the Amplify.
I hate to see them eat TOO much feed at one feeding so when feeding those amounts I would try do it in 3-4 feedings per day.
Adding beet pulp and the alfalfa pellets would be fine. I am not a big fan of weight builder.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:53 PM  
Yearling Member

I know that amount doesn't sound like much, but we are upping slowly. We are really concerned about how weight her injured hip can handle, so we are taking it slow- perhaps a little too slow, but I'd rather not find her in the situation we did a few years ago when she was overweight and overloaded the hip. I thought we were going to have to euthanize, but we backed off her feed a little and she's been great until this winter. We hope to have her up to 14lbs or so in four feedings a day by mid-April. That sounds more like it, huh?
Old 03-17-2008, 06:54 PM  
Yearling Member

Calicocalgirl, TSC also just started carrying a hay stretcher that I thought about adding to her diet- pelleted, just like Senior, and 14% fiber. Think that would help?
Old 03-17-2008, 08:11 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Some TSC are carrying Blue Seal products and have their Hay Stretcher pellets.. is that what those are?
That is for use in ADDITION to feed, not to be used as just feed (for most horses). If you need a hay supplement, Hay Stretcher pellets are great.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:46 PM  
Weanling Member

I give this product an A+ for what its done for the old guys I'm feeding it to. My 25 yr old GH gelding came through this winter fat and sassy...a far cry compared to what he looked like a little over a year ago when my husband and I brought him home (about a body score of 1 1/2 ). The old 20 yr old Thoroughbred gelding has done well on it too...and they both eat it with gusto. Both horses were blanketed but outside all winter (a very cold and snowy winter this year) with access to a loafing shed. They ate Purina Senior and had hay available at all times. I feed two cups full each daily (it come with a measuring cup) in addition to the feed. Although its not for dogs, apparently some of those silly farm dogs who like to eat with the horses tend to gain weight too...so if your dog starts looking a little more rotund than usual, make sure he's not sneaking some Amplify into his diet!
I have saved a couple of my plastic Amplify buckets in anticipation of using them to store the supplement bought in the larger bag.
Thumbs way-y-y-y up for Amplify for skinny old horses (at least in my experience).
midnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:43 AM  
Yearling Member

Midnyte- that's great news! It sounds like exactly what we've been looking for!

Calico- Yes, the hay stretcher would be fed in addition to the Senior. It probably is Blue Seal, but to be honest I'm not sure. Hubby saw it when he was in the store, he's learning to read the bag...more than just the title anyway! He came home this weekend exclaiming how now the hay situation is so bad that they're selling 'hay vitamins'! I went to the barn to feed and laughed my butt off! He means well, but he admittedly has the occassional blonde/Army day. I was thinking of adding it to her feed in an amount equivalent to the amount of hay that she would be eating. Having never used hay stretcher, I guess I just need to get a bag and try it out.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:56 AM  
Greenbroke Member

I used the Hay Stretcher pellets before but I honestly dont know the feeding rate as a hay replacement/extender, because when I fed it, it wasnt out of necessity, it was more of a treat. Now I take approx. 3lbs of Alfalfa Cubes and toss them in the paddock between the two boys, AM & PM.. for them to graze on. They love them!
Old 11-23-2011, 01:40 PM  
Newborn Member

Talking awesome product!!

Amplify has worked great for our horses. Coming out of last winter they were all skinny and not looking so great we started feeding purina molene 200 and amplify and then for my 19 year old mare that was still running barrels we were feeding purina senior and the amplify. It wasn't long before they were all looking way better with meat on their bones and shiny coats and ready for the competitive summer. My husband even stated several times that my mare looked way better than she ever had, it really filled her out and gave her tons of energy that she never had before!
awfuller9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:49 AM  
Weanling Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stellamn
Purina has just release Equine Senior Healthy Edge feed - which is a senior horse feed with the Amplify pellet already added to it. It is a beet pulp based pellet - which is easy to soak down for aged horses with poor teeth.

My young guy gets the Strategy Healthy Edge, which is a similar feed for active horses - and has bloomed on it.

My daughter works at the local feed store and brought some info on the new feed for our barn owner...
Old 12-18-2011, 11:56 AM  
Kid Safe

a lot of purinas feeds have amplify in it.

It was so hard to get it into my dealer that I ended up swithing to Empower, not as high of fat, but easier for me to get.

But, fell in love with a feed my coop makes that is 14% fat feed. love it. it has done wonders for my hard keeper.

RIP Justin
You stole my heart and for that, I am grateful.
Sirita_88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:50 AM  
Halter broke

Had to comment on this, as I love the Amplify feed! I have to special order it too, but it is simply phenomenal for a hard keeper or one that gets hot off of traditional feeds. I feed Amplify combined with Enrich 32 top ration and I love the results! I have an appendix that is hard to keep weight on.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:10 AM  
Newborn Member

amplify

I have an older app that is blind and has terrible allergies, hence he is very hard to keep weight on. For years I have tried every feed imaginable..including all of the senior feeds and supplements, except amplify. He has good teeth, so I don't need a complete feed..just one with a lot of calories. Grain based feeds did not do it, but after talking to an equine nutritionist..I chose Legends performance pellet. It is 10% fat and he loves it. Slowly but surely he is putting the weight back on. He gets 6lbs a day, plus 12-18 lbs of hay and 3lbs of carrots per day. I feed carrots in the winter as we farm and they are an easy source of energy. He was gaining weight before we started harvesting the carrots. The high fat also helps with his allergies. If the amplify does not help...maybe you could try this..
checkers2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:13 AM  
Bombproof Member

How big/small are the nuggets. Would they be appropriate for treats for clicker training. How much is considered a daily ration. The horses don't need any more weight on them and I have been breaking up alfalfa cubes in to thin wafers for clicker rewards.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Product Reviews