Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Product Reviews
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2008, 07:32 AM  
Weanling Member

White Lightning- Treatment for Thrush, Rain Rot, White Line Disease & other fungals

I would like to hear from other users of this product.

- Product Info -
Manufacturer: Howard Alliger of Frontier Pharmaceutical.
Model Name: White Lightning ( note: no E like in lightening)
Product Type/Product purpose: Treatment of Thrush, Rain Rot & White Line Disease and other fungal ailments
Price and Purchase info:
White Lightning Liquid 8 oz
Highly effective in the treatment of White Line Disease, Thrush, and Hoof Rot. Read more here
Price: $10.75

White Lightning Gel 14 ml
The 14 ml size is dispensed with a dual syringe and mixing tip. Fool-proof application and user friendly. Read more here
Price: $13.00

White Lightning Gel 100 ml

Price: $27.50
My farrier charged me a little more than these "on line" prices but the 8 oz bottle was more than enough .........you use it an ounce at a time
Earigant
Useful in the treatment of ear fungus.
Price: $27.50

White Lightning Liquid 64 oz
Highly effective in the treatment of White Line Disease, Thrush, and Hoof Rot. Read more here
Price: $56.75

- Product Description -
Pros: White Lightning is a Treatment for Thrush, White Line disease & Rain Rot & other fungal ailments. It comes in a liquid or a gel.

White Lightning® is the active Chlorine Dioxide (ClO2) solution to Thrush, Skin Fungus and White Line Disease. Chlorine Dioxide has been demonstrated to be bactericidal, fungicidal, virucidal and sporicidal while remaining harmless to healthy tissue.
White Lightning® is safe to use, and unlike hypochlorite, does not produce toxic byproducts. Chlorine Dioxide is so safe, it is routinely added to orange juice and other consumer foods and beverages to kill contaminants and prevent spoilage. Chlorine Dioxide is even used by dentists in periodontal work. Not only is ClO2 safe, but it is up to seven times more effective than chlorine bleach.
Chlorine Dioxide is an unstable gas…meaning it cannot be stored in a container, but rather must be generated when needed. This is accomplished by adding equal amounts of White Lightning® to a mild acid such as white vinegar. A chemical reaction then occurs generating ClO2. After a period of time, all gas is released and the resulting liquid is inert and totally harmless. In the case of the White Lightning® Gel, the same reaction occurs. The Gel is easier to use and is the better choice in certain applications.

Cons: You can not store mixture once its activated with the vinegar. but one bottle has plenty to use on several applications.

Would you recommend this to a friend?: Yes

Other comments: I was amazed that the rain rot ( the coin-shaped raised lesions on the back, rump, etc) disappeared after 1 treatment ( just like the farrier told me). I had tried betadine (like the vet told me to use) and it was an ongoing battle and very labor intensive. With the thrush treatment I had tried bleach but it was messy, hard on your clothes, and needed many more treatments. I was VERY satisfied with this product and would highly recommend it. Also I have seen it at Tractor supply and other feed stores, so the prices probably vary.

Overall Product rating: (out of 10) I would give it a 9 or 10.
Reviewed by: CatFromFL

Last edited by CatFromFL : 01-09-2008 at 01:06 PM. Reason: grammar
CatFromFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:52 AM  
Weanling Member

I have a club footed horse that gets severe thrush.
White lightning is the only thing I have found to keep it under control.

My boyfriend is a farrier and he keeps it on his truck to treat clients horses.

So thumbs up here!!!!
spinningpeppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:44 AM  
Yearling Member

Thank you for this thread. This is just the type of product I am looking for!!!
palomino_grl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:11 AM  
Pasture Pet

Can this be used as a preventitive measure as well?
Old 02-04-2008, 08:22 AM  
Kat
Yearling Member

How do you use this product for rain rot?
Old 02-04-2008, 09:31 AM  
Weanling Member

Rain Rot Treatment

For Rain Rot you mix the White Lightning with vinegar ( the amounts for each are on the white plastic bottle) Mix just before you use it...... it causes some sort of chemical reaction ( and can not be stored)

Then you just pour it on the area affected.......on my mini colt I just poured it onto his back and rump fur and made sure all the coin shaped lesions were removed. It cleared it up within a short time ( a few days)......completely and the fur grew back really fast. It never came back.

Previously, the vet had recommended Betadine which was way messier and didn't seem to work well. Betadine dries out the skin.

Its also good to have a product that works well on a few different illnesses.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:32 AM  
Kat
Yearling Member

Thanks, Cat. You've convinced me. I'm going to try it on the rainrot. I have 3 horses with it this year after not having any for years.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:57 AM  
Started

Does the gel need to be mixed with vinegar? I've used the regular but the mixing is kind of a pain.
Mule Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:06 AM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule Fool View Post
Does the gel need to be mixed with vinegar? I've used the regular but the mixing is kind of a pain.

Look below on my first post........click the hyperlink on the Gel product listing......its a dual chambered syringe...... and a tip that combines the two as you push the plunger. I am not sure but I bet the 2 ingredients are the white lightning and the vinegar.

White Lightning® is the active Chlorine Dioxide (ClO2) solution to Thrush, Skin Fungus and White Line Disease. Chlorine Dioxide has been demonstrated to be bactericidal, fungicidal, virucidal and sporicidal while remaining harmless to healthy tissue.
White Lightning® is safe to use, and unlike hypochlorite, does not produce toxic byproducts. Chlorine Dioxide is so safe, it is routinely added to orange juice and other consumer foods and beverages to kill contaminants and prevent spoilage. Chlorine Dioxide is even used by dentists in periodontal work. Not only is ClO2 safe, but it is up to seven times more effective than chlorine bleach.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:54 PM  
Started

Thanks Cat. I thought I would never have to use it again, but the farrier was out on friday and Jen seems to have picked up white line disease again. Last time it was so bad we lost a whole season of riding in spite of constant care.
Mule Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:17 PM  
HCH
Newborn Member

White lightning is a $10 bottle of bleach, not normal laundry bleach but still bleach. I have had a lot of success with a 1/3 betadine 2/3 rubbing alcohol mix, it works faster and costs less then any commercial product I have ever used (and a friend of mine works at a major tack store and uses me to test new products)
HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:07 PM  
Kid Safe

I don't believe that White Lightning is even remotely related to bleach.
kanoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:38 PM  
HCH
Newborn Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorine_dioxide

Chlorine dioxide is used primarily (>95%) for bleaching of wood pulp, but is also used for the bleaching of flour and for the disinfection of water. The Niagara Falls, New York water treatment plant first used chlorine dioxide for drinking water treatment in 1944 for phenol destruction.

as I said not laundry bleach
HCH is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Product Reviews