Horsetopia Forum

Horsetopia Forum (http://forum.horsetopia.com/index.php)
-   Product Reviews (http://forum.horsetopia.com/product-reviews-46/)
-   -   Curious about treeless saddles (http://forum.horsetopia.com/product-reviews/143721-curious-about-treeless-saddles.html)

slamberson 05-11-2012 05:37 PM

Curious about treeless saddles

Forgive me if this is in the wrong area of discussion. I am curious about treeless saddles but I am having a hard time finding reviews. Can anyone help me out? Is it possible that this maybe a new thing and not enough people have bought this product to get reviews? Does anyone own one???

Here is an example of what I'm looking at:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/YESRD-Qualit...em4 d0044632e

and it looks like stateline tack has something very similar but more expensive

http://www.statelinetack.com/item/do...addle/E005593/

and one more
http://treelesssaddle.com/

any information would be helpful, thanks!!

Oran'sMom 05-11-2012 06:14 PM

Good question! i have been looking at treeless saddles too and was wondering what everyone thought about them!

supertwist 05-11-2012 06:50 PM

Wouldn't touch the eBay one with a 10 foot pole, but your second link is a good seller from what I've heard. The eBay ones are made in India and I've read bad things about them.

A good treeless saddle has structure to protect a horse's spine. While treeless saddles will generally fit a wide range of horses, it is still important to ensure a proper fit. A seller who has either a trial policy or will come out to do fittings is best. Freeform, Heather Moffat, and Barefoot are saddles I've heard good things about.

I own 2 Barefoot treeless saddles. The first (Drytex Cheyenne) was purchased so my kids could ride the sway-backed (but sound) pony. The second (leather Barefoot Lexington) was purchased for my horse because I kept borrowing the oh-so-comfortable saddle from the kids, and I no longer have back pain after a ride as long as I ride treeless.

Here is the sway-backed pony without and with his saddle:

JJ likes his saddle so much that he will step under it as soon as it is lifted above his back.

You can search horsetackreview.com for reviews of several brands of treeless saddles.

jazzymonster 05-11-2012 07:14 PM

a girl at my my barn has a bob marshall....it's AMAZING. does tend to roll a bit though....I was loping her haffie and the horse kicked up her heels a bit out of excitement. no big deal but it did make the saddle slip just a hair. could of been me just getting out of balance. it is super comfy though and the quality is awesome on it, I'm quite impressed with it :D

slamberson 05-11-2012 09:38 PM

Thanks supertwist and jazzymonster. I figured that the one on ebay either had to be a scam or just super junk. The one on ebay looks just like the one on stateline. I just wish that people would remember to write a review on those kind of products. The third website has the freeform and barefoot saddles. It's good to hear that they are good products. I too have back pain. I read about the freeform but do you have to use a pad with the saddles?

Supertwist I couldn't tell but do you use extra padding for your swayback? Thanks for the link for saddle reviews!!!

supertwist 05-11-2012 10:21 PM

Before I forget, another brand to look into is Ansur saddles.

Manufacturers do recommend specific pads for their saddles. For JJ, we are using the Barefoot physio pad under the saddle which has dense foam inserts for extra protection of his spine and a no-slip bottom, as per recommendation of the equine chiropractor. For my horse I am using the regular Barefoot saddle pad with sheepskin underside. If you don't use the recommended saddle pads for treeless saddles, they tend to slip. I actually find that the Barefoot saddles move around way less on my horse than my previous treed saddle.

Not all horses will like treeless saddles, though both of our horses have responded extremely well. I was having a lot of training issues with my horse, especially turning, backing and getting him to relax. I think part of the problem was my previous saddle not fitting me well so I was unbalanced. With treeless, because I can feel his muscles and he can better feel my cues, he will give me perfect turns on the forehand, back up as far as I ask him to, bends properly through his body, has freer gaits and is much calmer.

ETA: We always use a mounting block, especially for JJ, so as not to twist their backs. Hubby & son built me one for Christmas. :D

slamberson 05-11-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supertwist (Post 2043176)
Before I forget, another brand to look into is Ansur saddles.

Manufacturers do recommend specific pads for their saddles. For JJ, we are using the Barefoot physio pad under the saddle which has dense foam inserts for extra protection of his spine and a no-slip bottom, as per recommendation of the equine chiropractor. For my horse I am using the regular Barefoot saddle pad with sheepskin underside. If you don't use the recommended saddle pads for treeless saddles, they tend to slip. I actually find that the Barefoot saddles move around way less on my horse than my previous treed saddle.

Not all horses will like treeless saddles, though both of our horses have responded extremely well. I was having a lot of training issues with my horse, especially turning, backing and getting him to relax. I think part of the problem was my previous saddle not fitting me well so I was unbalanced. With treeless, because I can feel his muscles and he can better feel my cues, he will give me perfect turns on the forehand, back up as far as I ask him to, bends properly through his body, has freer gaits and is much calmer.

ETA: We always use a mounting block, especially for JJ, so as not to twist their backs. Hubby & son built me one for Christmas. :D

Awesome, thanks Supertwist for the info!:D

Danni L 05-14-2012 08:36 AM

I think it depends alot on what your using it for. I ride long days over rough terrain, because of this I'm really concerned about the fact that treeless dont distribute the preasure of a rider as well. Most of the non slip pads are neoprene, or somthing similar, which I find is really hot and can rub.

As a pleasure saddle for shorter rides - sure. For anything else I want a tree.

supertwist 05-14-2012 09:54 AM

Danni, if that were true riders in the Tevis Cup (which is 100 miles over extreme terrain) wouldn't be using treeless saddles. Winners in 2004, 2007, 2009 & 2010 were riding in a Freeform treeless saddle. A lot of endurance riders are switching to treeless saddles.

aceofspades1313 05-27-2012 03:22 AM

The eBay saddle is a knockoff of a STUNNI saddle, which I happen to own. I LOVE it for trail riding because it is super comfortable for me and my horse. It's really squishy with just the right amount of support. But I would NEVER use it for anything that requires me to put pressure in the stirrups for extended amounts of time. Treeless saddles just aren't made for dressage, jumping or barrel racing.