Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Product Reviews
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2011, 01:23 PM  
Newborn Member

Thoughts on Vetericyn?

I bought a bottle of Vetericyn at my feed store after I heard it referred to as "holy water". (how could I NOT give it a try with that endorsement?) Curious to know what you guys think of this product!
rivermontfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:25 PM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivermontfarm View Post
I bought a bottle of Vetericyn at my feed store after I heard it referred to as "holy water". (how could I NOT give it a try with that endorsement?) Curious to know what you guys think of this product!
My horses hate it.. it contains alcohol and burns like a bugger.. if you lived closer I would give you my bottle.. lol
Old 08-18-2011, 01:56 PM  
Long Yearling

Send a message via MSN to mellowdane
Actually it contains no alcohol and it is a ph neutral product.. I've used it on many many things on myself and it doesn't sting at all. It has a slight chlorine smell from the Hypochlorous acid, but it is not chlorine. We use it on everything from my horses eye infection, leg wounds, oral rinse after having a tooth pulled, my feet when they start to get sweaty in the heat for athletes foot, on ringworm.. etc etc etc. It is fantastic and worth every penny. Of course I do get it wholesale from work.. but I'd still pay full price for it if I had to!!

Has is occurred to you that there's a certain inefficiency in questioning me on things you've already made up your mind about? - Spock
mellowdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:57 PM  
Long Yearling

Cathy.. your horse may not light the slightly chlorine smell, but again, it doesn't have any alcohol in it and doesn't sting on any open wound I have tried it on on myself and I have used the wound wash and they hydrogels.

Has is occurred to you that there's a certain inefficiency in questioning me on things you've already made up your mind about? - Spock
Old 08-18-2011, 02:02 PM  
Seasoned

The price scares me. For the small cuts or scrapes that my horses get, I just use corona ointment. Haven't had any major wounds to deal with yet.....knock on wood.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:08 PM  
Coming two

I really like it. We use it on the horses and my one dog that always seems to get hot spots. It really works well and I've even sprayed it on a cut or two for myself.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:10 PM  
Kid Safe

I love it!!!

Have used it on myself on nasty cuts and they healed up so fast and no scar, should of been one!!

Have used it on many horses... cut neck along the crest that should of been stitched(stupid, stupid owners!) it was so deep and gaping wide... full offilth, dirt flies, maggot eggs and the beginning of infection setting in by the time they asked for help. I cleaned it the best I could, sprayed Vetericyn and said a prayer it would help... I followed directions on the bottle... within a day you could see a huge improvement... within 2 weeks it was closing, healthy skin and tissue and once again when fully healed.. No Scar!

Amazing... I have faith in it. Best simple to use product I have seen in a long time.

Mav....Yes, its pricey... but a squirt or two and that's all you need... lasts a long time.
I also can and do use this on my dog and can forego the vet visit and the ointments and creams you spend so much on. Obviously, when you need a vet, you need a vet... goes without saying!

horselover4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:52 PM  
Weanling Member

Just bought some for a open area on the neck and I am amazed at the progress of the wound. My horse has no reaction to it at all. I will keep it on hand, it is pricey but worth it.

Always remember, what mother nature gives...father time takes!
Buckeye Horsefeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:36 PM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowdane View Post
Cathy.. your horse may not light the slightly chlorine smell, but again, it doesn't have any alcohol in it and doesn't sting on any open wound I have tried it on on myself and I have used the wound wash and they hydrogels.
We must be talking two dif things.. mine smells like alcohol.. and I even put it on a wire cut on my leg.. burned like a bugger.. and my horses kick like crazy when I apply it.. I was told it was amazing for scratches and abrasions..
Old 08-18-2011, 11:40 PM  
Long Yearling

Yeah.. must be something different Cathie

Old 08-18-2011, 11:43 PM  
Coming two

I LOVE it, i have been using it on my horse's summer sore and it has done wonders!
Old 08-19-2011, 02:17 AM  
Halter broke

One of my borders horses stuck a stick in his shoulder and left a 3 inch long 1 inch wide puncher wound...cleaned the wound every day and sprayed the vetericyn (horse never flinched) and after 2 weeks it has completely healed (inside out) with no infection, little proud flesh and looks like we may even have no scar...pricey but would buy it again in a heartbeat!
rawhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:33 AM  
Newborn Member

real horse people

I love it when I read a post that says " I've used the product on myself", only a true horse person would do that.
oldslowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:44 AM  
Halter broke

FYI, Vetericyn is not FDA approved for skin sanitizing on anything. It is only approved for sanitizing human bandages.

I use this stuff:
http://aphexbio.com/EquAphex.html

It already approved for use on human wounds and is in the process of approval for animals. It is way cheaper, actually good for the skin, and very effective. The Friesian in the pictures is mine. He gouged his leg in a trailer accident. After applying this stuff he healed with not even a white hair. I can't tell you today where the wound was. It is partly due to urging from riders like me that they are making it available to the horse community.
GrandBlanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:01 AM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandBlanc View Post
FYI, Vetericyn is not FDA approved for skin sanitizing on anything. It is only approved for sanitizing human bandages.

I use this stuff:
http://aphexbio.com/EquAphex.html

It already approved for use on human wounds and is in the process of approval for animals. It is way cheaper, actually good for the skin, and very effective. The Friesian in the pictures is mine. He gouged his leg in a trailer accident. After applying this stuff he healed with not even a white hair. I can't tell you today where the wound was. It is partly due to urging from riders like me that they are making it available to the horse community.
Yes, it may not be FDA approved.. I certainly dont use it on a regular basis.. but occasionally if I am somewhere in the middle of nowhere.. and all I have is whats in the trailer.. ...lol.. well ...
Old 08-20-2011, 12:56 PM  
Newborn Member

Thanks everyone! I had a cat get stepped on my a horse last Sunday and it split his leg wide open, so for experimental sake I've been using Vetericyn on the nasty wound then wrapping it up in a bandage. I can honestly say he has healed WAY better than I expected in this amount of time. He was borderline needing stitches, but just since Sunday it has grown back together with no infection at all. I'm not sure if Vetericyn is to credit, but I'm tickled pink so far. It cost $30 for a bottle, but it may have saved me $150 in a vet bill! I also used it on a cut on a colt's eye last night. He has a bad cut just a hair under his eyeball, so my thinking was I better be careful what I put on it. Vetericyn says it's safe to even use IN the eyes, so I sprayed some on his bad spot last night and it looked 100% better today.

The lady at the feed store who sold it to me referred to it as "holy water" and said they keep a bottle in their medicine cabinet in the house for themselves! So far I'm pleased!
rivermontfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:45 PM  
Started

Just thought I would add that the Dr. who invented this also has a line of human wound care products that are used throught the world in hospitals. It is the same stuff as their wound cleaner that they use on humans.

From their websitee:
Vetericyn and Microcyn Wound Care for humans contain the same active and are both based on the same platform technology for manufacturing.

Last edited by Ferronsgranny : 08-20-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Ferronsgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:42 PM  
Pasture Pet

Thanks FG! Leave it to you to clarify things for us
Old 08-20-2011, 04:42 PM  
Greenbroke Member

I also have used the stuff on myself and my filly. we also use it at the small animal vet clinic I work at pretty regularly to treat all kinds of wounds.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:14 PM  
Pasture Pet

We use triple antibiotic ointment from the drug store on all of us here. I like the lotion better than the ointment, but it sure works well. In the summer I always put Swat (pink fly repellent goo in a jar) around the wound so its less likely that bugs will get in there. Buster had a terrible gash on his fetlock. In hindsight I really should of called the vet but we're lucky cuz it healed really nicely *whew*. I washed it every 3rd day with a mild solution of Dawn and warm water, using a sponge, not a brush like you hear, and then put on the triple antibiotic and then over that something called Cut Heal, which kinda forms a film, then around it I put the swat. Lucky for me Buster is an easy going guy.

Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Product Reviews