Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Product Reviews
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2010, 07:35 AM  
Weanling Member

Quietex

Has anyone tried the Quietex powder or paste to destress and calm their horses for vet visits or trailering? I am wondering if it really works.
Skipshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:56 AM  
Bombproof Member

I used the Quietex paste (1x) years ago when I went on a BIG trail ride
(300 + horses/riders, my horse used to get pretty anxious in those situations).
I think it helped calm my horse, but I also thought in that situation, it made him more 'clumsy', and sluggish.
He is very surefooted, and that would have been something that appeared different about his demeanor.

If I used it again, I'd use the powder, and feed it 'over time' so as to have it in his system.
But, JMO, I'd rather not use again for that particular situation.
Might be fine for the examples you gave, though.

I'd be interested in others responses to using Quietex myself.
Good luck.
redboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:07 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Send a message via AIM to mingiz
My cousin used it for trailering one of his horses. Seem to do ok with it...I personally have never used or needed it....
mingiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:26 PM  
Weanling Member

I've used it before trailing.
It seemed to cause "some" horses to act like they are hungover the next day or cranky.

Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:27 PM  
Kid Safe

I've used it several times in the past.

Used it on Emma & Berry (when Berry was still a nursing filly) - and the hurricanes were coming in '04. We used it for all 3 hurricanes, (Charley, Francis, Jeanne.) Nothing terrible noticed. Looked as though they didn't panic during the storms.

Also used it on Berry & Lily before shipping them from FL to KY. Started it 24 hours prior to shipping, dosed again before loading. Berry was a little hard to load, but for a filly never having been loaded, she did pretty well. Both rode quiet on the whole trip, according to the shipper.

We also use it on anyone that I know that has an issue with fireworks on 4th of July or New Years Eve. The neighbors like to launch the whistlers over our farm, and a couple of mares freak. It seems to help some.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:53 PM  
Bombproof Member

You might have better results by exercising the horse for 20 min or so prior to the visit by farrier, vet or trailering.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:19 PM  
Conformation Clinic Coordinator

Quietex, IIRC, is largely valarian root and some trace amount of something else. Valarian root capsules that you pick up at the drug store for human use works just as well. If the max dose for a human is 2-3 capsules, then about 6 or so work fine for the average horse.
gilmorehorsemanship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:40 PM  
Weanling Member

Really???? Are you 100% sure about that....have you tried it???
Skipshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:48 PM  
Started

I've used Quitex on my trainers show horse. It may have worked a little but it didn't help much, it did work better if we started giving it to him about 48 hours before he actually needed to be calm but I'm still skeptical that it really works well. It never made him clumsy, it barely affected him at all.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:35 AM  
Started

I've used it on my "super charged, high octane" barrel horse for a parade once. It worked alright, but I didn't like how hungover he was afterwards. He also got a little mean when the effects were wearing off.

If you're into natural or herbal remedies, I've hear lavender oil is a natural calming agent, if you rub a tiny bit around their nostrils.

Rest In Peace My Sweet Angel:
Zoey: April 10, 2009-July 19, 2012
Proud United States Navy wife
FLQuarterhorse39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:59 AM  
Started

Sorry folks, the physiologist in me pops out sometimes... Be VERY careful if you're trying to scale up a dose of something from a small animal to a large animal. You should NOT just multiply the dose for the small animal times the same factor of size difference, like give twice as much medicine to an animal that is twice as large. On a mass-to-mass basis, larger animals have slower metabolisms than smaller ones, therefore break down drugs/medications/chemicals SLOWER than small animals, so they need LOWER doses on a mass basis.

Does the Quietex have any indication how much valerian is in it? If it does, and you want to try the human variant, try to give the same amount. The problem is, with ANY herbal supplement, whether it be human or animal, there has yet to be any standard by which the amount or activity level of the active ingredient is measured against across the industry. That can make for huge batch-to-batch variations.
sfl89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:10 AM  
Kid Safe

Went nuts

My horse, (ace doesn't work on him either), went bonkers on it. I made sure he was completely calm before I gave it to him..

Went out to get him an hour (or however long it takes) Later and he ran from me... He has NEVER ran from me... I thought great...

Got him, He reared on me several times, ended up ripping off my nail... not a fun experience, and I was just leading him through the field, not anything I haven't done 60 million times with no problems....

RIP Justin
You stole my heart and for that, I am grateful.
Sirita_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:16 PM  
Weanling Member

Used it on a mare who was usually mental about trailer loading, because we were going for our first trail ride. Read the directions and did what it said and I honestly don't think it helped a lick. The mare was still crazy when it came to loading, she reared, refused, bolted. It was awful. Can't say I saw any significant difference in the way she acted during the ride or even afterward.
Anzaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:34 PM  
Yearling Member

I've never had much luck with the calming stuff with my horse until the next day I always have to give it to him the day before and one the day of. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it made him hyper.

Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Product Reviews