Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Other Animals
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2008, 07:30 PM  
Long Yearling

Black panthers in Ky? Update pg. 2!

Anyone ever heard those rumors about black panthers stalking around in rural areas? Here in KY I've heard it several times didn't doubt it but didn't imagine an encounter ever happening.

Today Heather (My cousin--heatherburdine21) saddled the horses up. They were acting silly at the house so we worked them pretty hard and headed out for a quick ride back on the mountain. It's cold so we were going to keep it short, mainly we went to make the horses realize they did have a job and it wasn't hay disposal.

On the trail, everything was silent. Really strangely silent. I could hear my heartbeat and Rebels!

They calmed down quickly and we hit a trail that circled back to an old homestead, long weathered and falled on itself.

We came upon and Rebel refused to go. Heather took Rudrah ahead. (Rebel figures if it doesn't eat him, it won't eat her) She kept looking at the old structure and snorting.

Then heather and I both smelled this odd smell--- like mildewed ammonia, basement and leaky pipes. It was odd, very musty.

I told heather I had a wierd feeling and wanted to head down the other trail.

We continued on and I kept hearing something in the woods beside us. Just a rustle here and there, it sounded big but quite agile, barely making a noise. It was just a rustle now and again, then it would stop. We would turn as we criss crossed throught the woods and it would start again, on the opposite side.It was like it was trying to get inbetween the horses. The horses dispite being tired were in a hurry to get out of there.

Then heather said what I had been thinking. "Is something following us?"

I said, "let's pick up the pace, I've been hearing something."

We went into an even faster walk until we came to the powerline cut which is completly cleared.

We then went into a trot. Rudrah, who usually can't keep up with Rebel to save his was suddenly right beside us.

Then heather turns around in the saddle and goes pale.

"Jaclyne." She says, "Don't turn around just go! Go! Go!"

Rebel's nostrils flared and I told to get up and go.

At this point I'm kicking myself in the butt for wearing those horses out before the ride.

Both were too worn and going as fast as they could go, which seemed very slow.

I kept hearing it behind us but kept my eyes on the trail, helping to guide Rebel over the rocks and ditches.

We made it to the little trail were it cuts to our neighbors. It was when the nieghbors house was in view we stopped the horses. I couldn't risk winding my horse anymore! She was so tired. Heather told me then what she saw.

It was black, about as tall as a med. dog but Looooong. It had a long tail that heather described as "looking like a black furry arm"

Any thoughts on this people???

Do you think we were just imagining things... I mean, we've rode out there several times nothing like this has ever happened? Do you think if it was a panther it was stalking us?

I just hope my horses arent too scared to go back. I'm so proud of them, dispite thier fear they remained calm, ( A little calmer than us after that sighting) Needless to say, the horses got an apple.

"Good horse", I said. "Didn't let me get eaten."

Last edited by iris_surreal_euphoria : 03-01-2008 at 07:51 PM.
iris_surreal_euphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:33 PM  
Coming two

Sounds like BIGFOOT to me Its scary sometimes on those old trails, Im a chicken, thats why I dont trail ride
Old 02-23-2008, 07:34 PM  
Seasoned

Send a message via Yahoo to Horses&Soccer
I wouldn't know if you have panthers there. They are in Florida though. Whether or not, it was still awfully scary. I'm glad everybody is fine. If your horses would have decided to bolt ...

Some days I just want to be a missing person
Horses&Soccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:09 PM  
Started

Theres been a lot of talk of panthers and black bear around here lately - but the black bear has been caught on camera, in my county of all things.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:20 PM  
Kid Safe

Bears aren't unheard of around here...don't know about panthers. But, really, you wouldn't have much to worry about as long as you have your horses with you in either case - bears and panthers will generally not mess with a critter as large as a horse, or as ornery and confident as a human (we have a really agressive reputation in the wildlife area, doncha know).

If it worries you, pack some heat - even a starter pistol loaded with blanks will send most critters packin.

taelesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:49 PM  
Weanling Member

I seen a black panther with 2 cubs on her over at the Pulaski/Laurel county line back 2 years ago. They will stalk and they will attack(human or horse). If they are really hungry they will beat their tail against a log and make crying sounds just like a baby to draw you near. If one ever gets after you throw a piece of clothing down and it will stop to shred it before it gets after you again and that will give you plenty of time to get away. They like to lay on high ledges or tree limbs and wait for their prey. It wouldn't hurt to carry a gun with you out on the trail if you seen one. Where there's one there will be two.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:59 PM  
Halter broke

black panthers in Ky

My Mom and I talked recently, they are in South east Ky, Pineville,,,,and my stepdad hunts and such,,,he had set a trap for something that was after their chickens, and caught a big black fluffy' kitty' well now they think it was a young black panther,,,he realeased it on his brothers property thinking ,,,,,cat.........now they think otherwise with other stories,,,they also have elk coming down out of the mountain and bears,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I guess be careful
stepheystables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:03 PM  
Halter broke

black cats ky

Oh my gosh I just read the poster before is from London,,,,howdy,,,wait till I tell my Mom ,,,it was 2 yrs ago
wendy
stepheystables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:52 PM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
seen a black panther with 2 cubs on her over at the Pulaski/Laurel county line back 2 years ago
I'm in Pulaski so that makes sense.

We are located about 30 or 40 min. from london... Howdy neighbor!

I know many people in my area have claimed to see them too. It's one of those things that hasn't been proven though.

There are proven cougar and black bear. I saw a black bear out in those same woods, it seemed more intrested in getting away from us though. The feeling was mutual.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:18 AM  
Started

ooohh...your story gave me the heebie jeebies! I'm glad that you are alright!
kshnooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:31 AM  
Started

wow that is scary! I was on the edge of my seat reading that..(and thats silly cuz obviously you are ok! LOL)
I think id rather meet a bear than a cougar..but you guys are talking panthers..uh we have those in the states???
Old 02-24-2008, 05:27 AM  
Pasture Pet

Wow, I am glad everything turned out OK, and the horses did not freak out too badly... I am not sure what kind of animal was stalking you, but I know for a wild animal to be stalking 2 people on horses, it must have been REALLY hungry!
Carri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:38 AM  
Kid Safe

Coming from someone that's been stocked too that's some scary .

Where I am it's too populated for kitties but we have coyotes and wolves. Just the other day I took one of my dogs with me and along the trail I use were some HUGE (and I mean HUGE ) tracks. 3 times the size of my GSDs, fresh (as we came across the poop too) and 2 sets walking side by each. That was no coyote.

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but becase of the people who do nothing about it.~Albert Einstein
paso_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:55 AM  
Started

A panther is a cougar in North America. Different areas call them by one or the other name. There have been occasional black cougars born.
If there are black "panthers" other than cougar, they would have to be escapees--either leopards or jaguars can be solid black.

Scroll down to the melanistic cougar part:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_panther

Edited to fix link

Last edited by pasomystic : 02-24-2008 at 10:01 AM.
pasomystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:13 AM  
Started

so not the Black Panthers I was thinking of

k

“Preach the gospel at all times, if necessary use words.”
St Francis
beezwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:36 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneycreek View Post
If they are really hungry they will beat their tail against a log and make crying sounds just like a baby to draw you near. If one ever gets after you throw a piece of clothing down and it will stop to shred it before it gets after you again and that will give you plenty of time to get away.

Is this part a joke?? NO cat would ever purposely draw attention to itself, hungry or not. they stalk their prey, they dont beat their tails on logs

I really also doubt that a panther would stop chasing you to shred a shirt, they want the bigger piece. and if you do get far enough away, they wont continue the chase, they wouldnt want to expend that much needed energy on something that is aware its there and is already heading away
Pixiefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:51 PM  
Long Yearling

Quote:

k
Nope--- Not those.

I was thinking this could be my nieghbors fault. He has caught a bobcat and now has it caged in a huge enclosure (He got premission through fish and wildlife..) Anyway, that's a whole 'nother vent. But he BAITS for the bobcat's mate.

No wonder this happened!
Old 02-24-2008, 02:04 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasomystic View Post
A panther is a cougar in North America. Different areas call them by one or the other name. There have been occasional black cougars born.
If there are black "panthers" other than cougar, they would have to be escapees--either leopards or jaguars can be solid black.

Scroll down to the melanistic cougar part:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_panther

Edited to fix link
Did you watch the show where they explained this? I was going to say the same thing. Tey did an hour show on these scientists that are studying these big cats in the Mid-Us. They believe they came from SAmerica as I remember. They looked like black leopards as they were black with spots. Beautiful creatures, but nothing I would want to be stalked by on the trail
HighHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:10 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezwing View Post

k

Geez, me either.......does that age us or what?

Peace!! I wish the people of the world could get along as well as the animals in my backyard.
crittermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:13 PM  
Greenbroke Member

I guess I would have been eaten---I can't ride well enough to go much past a trot.

Peace!! I wish the people of the world could get along as well as the animals in my backyard.
crittermom is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Other Animals