Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Other Animals
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2008, 05:27 AM  
Newborn Member

Anyone had a male bunny neutered?

We have a male and a female bunny, with no plans to breed, and the male has started spraying since we got the female. I would prefer that they live together and I think they would get along well together.......they lay side by side, separated by the wire. So we thought we'd get the male fixed.

Anyway, my oldest boy would be so sad if anything happened to his bunny. Is it safe to neuter a rabbit? I've read that they are sensitive to the anesthesia. My vet says he can do it, but does anyone have any experiences or tips to share? The bunny is about two years old, a Netherland dwarf.
lunacyacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:48 AM  
Seasoned

Send a message via Yahoo to Horses&Soccer
We had our rabbit neutered because of the spraying. He was originally intended to be a house bunny until he started that. It smells just as bad as a male cat! We had no problems with the neutering or afterward. It didn't completely remove the smell, but it was a lot better. He still ended up outside because he got much larger than he was supposed to.

Some days I just want to be a missing person
Horses&Soccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:55 AM  
Pasture Pet

Yep, we have neutered lots of bunnies at our vet clinic, and I have had mine done. It helps them have longer lives, and reduces agression. It is a great idea to do!
Carri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:08 AM  
Seasoned

I worked for a vet for years and we neuter rabbits all the time. They are slightly more complicated because of drug reactions and the way they are built. So it may cost more than a normal cat neuter but still VERY common.

Izzy my walking dream!!!
cook1745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:50 AM  
Greenbroke Member

You may want to spay the female. Uterine cancers are very common in females and they can because aggressive as they age.

Pink Tiger says 'Grrrrrr'
joustinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:54 AM  
Halter broke

I also work at an animal hospital. We do spay and neuter all kinds of exotics. The bunnies do well, just have to be careful with anesthesia. If your vet has done many of them, and is comfortable with it, they by all means, I'd get it done.
aussieshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:23 PM  
Coming two

We had my daughter's male rabbit neutered because he started spraying everywhere. She was only 5 or so at the time and thought it was funny when he started humping her head as she was laying on the floor watching tv She obviously didn't know what he was doing! Anyway, our little guy made it thru the surgery okay, but must have gotten an infection or something and died a few days later. We were all heartbroken to say the least. He was one of a kind.
SheriK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:47 PM  
Started

At the shelter I worked at, we neutered and spayed the bunnies.
Makes them nicer bunnies.

We never lost one, just make sure your vet is used to exotics.

Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. W.C.Fields
Touche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:13 AM  
Kid Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunacyacres View Post
We have a male and a female bunny, with no plans to breed, and the male has started spraying since we got the female. I would prefer that they live together and I think they would get along well together.......they lay side by side, separated by the wire. So we thought we'd get the male fixed.

Anyway, my oldest boy would be so sad if anything happened to his bunny. Is it safe to neuter a rabbit? I've read that they are sensitive to the anesthesia. My vet says he can do it, but does anyone have any experiences or tips to share? The bunny is about two years old, a Netherland dwarf.
You do know that a female does not have a heat cycle but ovulates when she has been mounted and will have a false pregnancy and make a nest (pull hair) even with the absence of an intact male. Just thought I'd bring that up since you said you want to put them together.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:24 PM  
Newborn Member

I didn't realize the females had false pregnancies. Well, I guess we'll just wait and hope ours doesn't. Maybe ours isn't very maternal! She's very small, and I think my vet prefers to just fix the males, but if we need to, we can find one who would fix her.

Thanks everyone for your input; I feel better about it. Our rabbit is scheduled for Friday. In light of the one that died, I think I'll clean his cage really good while he's there just in case that helps. (SheriK, I'm sorry about the loss of your rabbit, but am still laughing at the thought of its, uh......behavior.........and how one might explain that to a child!)
lunacyacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:21 PM  
Halter broke

It is very safe to neuter and spay rabbits, AS LONG as you find a rabbit savvy vet.

www.binkybunny.com (the forum part) has been a huge resource to me and they can easily help you find a bunny savvy vet in the US!
Morning_Mist is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Other Animals