Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Miniature Horse Corner
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2007, 05:15 PM  
Newborn Member

How much to feed a nursing mare

My Mini Pearl is not looking so good these days. Sassy will be 3 months old on the 26th & I think Pearl is back in heat. I thought she had been bred back but I believe I was wrong.
I'm feeding her a cup of bran with a cup of sweat feed morning & evening. She has hay at night & is on pasture during the day. Suggestions please.
prairiechic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:33 PM  
Bombproof Member

I am assuming this is a mini? I would first consider just giving her one cup of bran and not two a day, as this can be a little counter productive. You could still split the one cup and give 1/2 cup twice daily. She will still be getting enough to keep her bowels working. Might consider adding calf manna to her feed. It will help her extrude and get all the necessary vitamins and nutrients she needs. If you don't see that she is adding any weight after about 10 days, then and only then would I add a little extra 1/4 cup more of feed. Is she on a mare and foal type feed? I do know with mini's you must be careful as they can founder quite quickly. Maybe one of our mini members with experience in a momma and baby will come along and add more as I am not really familiar with what they can have overall.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:17 PM  
Seasoned

Well, my mini mare Miss Match is getting a quart of 10/10 feed in the am and pm with 1/2 a cup of omegahorseshine in the pm....and she's starting to get too lean. Her filly is going to be 5 months and is getting weaned this week. Baby and mom eat out of the same feeder so I am assuming that Giselle is getting her share of the grain.
recklesshoundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:40 PM  
Weanling Member

feed between 1 and 2 cups of seminole mare and foal feed if that is not enough i'd add some good ole seminole senior feed to it. At least 1 cup of senior with 1 cup of mare and foal. 2 or 3 cups of senior feed a day split in 2 feedings took a mini mare i had from starvation to being in good weight in 6 weeks. Plus she had all the grass/hay she could eat 24/7. May also think about possibly weaning foal a little early if the foal is eatting well and doesnt seem to be clingy. I wouldnt wean a clingy foal early. If the foal is pretty independent i'd wean at 4 months.

This feeding program has worked very well for me.
Skylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:46 PM  
Pasture Pet

Having had minis for 10 years. If they lose weight while nursing I usually Worm, increase grain. 12% sweet feet and 12% pellett . or something close to that %. increase hay, I do not feed bran at all unless I find the manure harder than normal. I feel it just dos'nt allow the intestines time to absorb nutrients from grain/hay etc.
How old is this mini mare. Is she chewing her food properly? It is possible that she might have uneven teeth. even at a young age they are prone to mouth/
teeth uneveness. Another trick I use in the foaling months believe it or not is bread.
I get if from warehouses after it gets pulled from the shelves. Each mini gets 1 loaf broken up. plus their grain in AM only . they love it a puts weight on, coats shiny and dosn't cost anything. Good luck
horselady is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Miniature Horse Corner