Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Miniature Horse Corner
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2007, 07:55 PM  
Coming two

how much weight can they carry?

I'm looking at picking up some 36-40 inch over grown mini's for my daughter to break to ride for the christmas market and to keep and I was wondering if she would be to heavy for them for light schooling. She's 10yrs and @75pounds.Any imput.....
dimpleflirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:59 PM  
Started

I don't personally like to see minis ridden, but they say for a big horse the rider shouldn't be over 1/3 of the horse's weight. Don't know about minis though. They are more suited to pull.

Always make sure your fences are horse high, pig tight and bull strong.
sswtness75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:10 PM  
Pasture Pet

I think it really depends on the "type" of mini if they can be ridden at all, I think the small shetlands are fine for it. My daughter's pony is technically a mini, he is 38" tall, but he is a shetland pony and very stout.
I know he can carry her fine, but she is 6 and 40 lbs, and is starting to get too big for him. So, I would say yes, she is too big to do any real riding on a mini.
I have heard that ponies in general can carry more weight proportionally than horses, because they have such short backs, but I have never tested this theory. My mini is around 200 lbs, and at 40 lbs, my daughter is less than 1/4 of his weight, but she is still getting too big for him.
Are you looking to break them to ride independantly or as leadline ponies? I would think that most kids that could ride them, around age 5 or under, would mostly be looking for leadline ponies, in which case you would just need to get them used to listening to the leadline and having a saddle on, then get a small child to volunteer a little for some rides.
Here is a picture of them together, so you can get an idea of the size. He is 38", and she is a VERY small 6 year old.

Carri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:46 PM  
Coming two

I'm thinking about the stout shetland(size) sort of pony.The sort that are out of mini mixes but not registered.Out here in the country people refer to a small pony as mini ,next size up shetland ,welsh and so on ....even though these ponies have nothing to do with the breeds.Years ago we had a black appy pony 38inches and stout that my older daughter trail rode as and 11yr old,we later sold him to some little cowboys in training . So I had thought about getting some ponies close to the same size for my younger daughter to work and condition for kids ready to get off the lead line.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:54 PM  
Started

Okay, I really don't know then. If the ponies are heavier built, they could probably carry more weight. I have ridden a pony that I had for my daughter and she was about 12.2 hands tall, but I only rode her for about 20 minutes. Even with the 1/3 of the body weight, if the pony was 300 lbs, that is an older child. My 7 and 9 yr olds only weigh in at 60-70 lbs.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:02 PM  
Started

Okay, I have thought and thought about it..... I don't know. It would just depend on the sizes of the minis, ponies..... whatever

What do I know! My children ride a 15.2 hand gelding and I ride a gelding that is just barely over 14 hands.... Keeping fingers crossed that he grows some more though!!!!

Old 05-18-2007, 09:09 PM  
Started

OK, this was bad, I know, don't yell at me for horse abuse.

BUT....last year I broke a mini. He was around nine hands, maybe a couple inches taller, so 36-38 inches, right? He was a pretty chunky (but not fat) little guy and a three-year-old. I weigh 105 pounds. Yes, I was too big for him. No, I did not ride him hard, or for extended periods of time, or with any tack other than a bridle. I walked and trotted for a few minutes at a time, but mostly what I did was desensitizing to prepare him to be ridden by children (think lots of flagging, running, jumping, dragging, waving, intentionally falling off, etc, etc, etc).

Maybe I wouldn't recommend that to anyone else, but I sure don't think I hurt him....
almost_mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:11 PM  
Halter broke

A mini can be ridden the same as any horse. The rule of thumb is that they can hold 20% of their weight. So if your mini is 300 lbs, then a 60 lb. child should be ok to ride on him. That same rule applies with big horses also. So, in that case, I would have to ride a Belgin

Edited to add, that is 20% with tack included.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:29 PM  
Started

Do you want a free lease on my fat pony? He is a lead line pony about 10 hands, will measure next week. He is a sweet boy, but picks on my appys .

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Ferronsgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 07:11 AM  
Pasture Pet

Oh, I do, I do! I want one for my daughter, something a little bigger (don't worry, Charm is NOT going anywhere, he is my love bug!) If I pay for the shipping, can he come up here?

I am close to Gbar, are you coming to get Ginger?
Old 05-19-2007, 07:14 AM  
Long Yearling

I love that appy.
championhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 05:41 PM  
Coming two

The appy is pretty. We don't ride the ponies alot when breaking.Mainly as another poster stated we just get them use to most noises and actions that a little kid may inflict on it , we don't make the lessons more than 15min with the weight normally twice per day,Most of it will be ground work and driving.My daughter is already wanting to Keep one that we just looked at ,I'll post pic if we are able to get him next week.I have to keep reminding her that it is for resale but the two horses that we've had for three yrs now were to be resale too.....Alot of you know how that story goes .
Old 05-19-2007, 06:34 PM  
Pasture Pet

I do know how that goes!
OK, I taped Charm today, and even though he has lost a TON of weight since he has been sick, he still taped at 300 lbs, which means he could carry about 60 lbs, and he is little. So, that means your daughter should be fine on a fit pony to break it...
Old 05-23-2007, 08:58 AM  
Coming two

This is what we ended up getting...reg.Shetland ...I think he's funny looking but cute...

Sorry the pics are fuzzy, Jet and Luck have made friends in a hurry but they are still trying to figure out whom is the boss of the herd/pack.I'm ging to fix his feet and put some weight on him before I decide if he can hold Morgan's weight.He's a sweet pony.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:28 AM  
Coming two

Now I'm wondering if my sons new pony is to small for him....Oh brother...

He only weighs like 40, if that...but he's tall! Now I can't wait to get Little Man home and find out....
enelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:56 PM  
Coming two

I think little man will be fine for your son for a couple of years.Morgie rode this little guy bare back and he didn't look bothered by the weight at all.We then tried the english saddle and from the distance she was thrown across the yard I don't think its too much weight.Did I forget to mention he's not broke to ride......She was wearing her hard hat and crawled across the yard saying "I'm ok ,lets try that again." He has had all his ground work and it shows but gets irritated when you tickle his flank.Can't wait to see more pics of your son and pony!

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Miniature Horse Corner