Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Miniature Horse Corner
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2011, 06:45 PM  
Yearling Member

Training to lay down?

So a friend of mine who is into the movie horses and movie business had a couple of minis that she trained to lay down.
She demonstrated it by tapping the mini's belly and the horse laid down.

I thought wow! what a neat easy trick!
She told me how to do it
Put a rope around the front fetlock pull up, and pull the head to the side and the horse will eventually lay down, reward- do it again then quit.

Easier said than done!

I finally got around to seeing if my mare would do it.
Put the rope around her front, pulled up, and pulled her head to the side.
The first time she just stood there
The next she kneeled down so I rewarded her and tried to go further.

Nope,.
She fought over and over... I never got her to kneel or get even close .

I tried about twenty time with no result.
I couldn't even knock her over if i tried...
I eventually gave up.

Have any of you trained your mini to lay down??
How did you do it?
What am I doing wrong?

I am not using any type of whip or anything
Just rope, halter and carrots.

If there are no hints or tips I'll just find another trick to teach her.. no rearing though.
Maybe work more on her dancing..
Old 12-27-2011, 07:19 PM  
Long Yearling

you pretty much got it right. I havent taught a mini to lay down but I have taught my full sized horses.

I put the rope on the front fetlock and life up the leg with the rope going over the horses back and hold. They will fight, just go with it, if they trust you enough they will kneel and then lay down. It also helps to know exactly what leg they use to lay down on in the pasture so they don't lay down unnaturally.

It took me a while to get them to lay down. I didnt reward the fighting I just talked to them and told them to trust me, which if they listen they will do as you ask.

Once they lay down don't let them bounce back up, I stress that point. They are rewarding themselves and thats not what you want. You want them to respect you and wait to be released. While they are laying down I rub on them and talk. Once I give them the ok to get up then I give them the treat. If they bounce up before you give them permission to go back and lay them down, keep doing it until they wait for you to let them up. But please monitor them to make sure they dont get stressed. With work you can teach them this trick.

good luck hope that helped

Last edited by horsegirl4 : 12-27-2011 at 07:59 PM.
horsegirl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:33 PM  
Yearling Member

That what I was worried about- the stress.

After she fought for awhile I could tell she was stressing out- tail moving, teeth grinding and breathing heavily so I stopped.

I'll try again tomorrow and see if i get any further.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:57 PM  
Long Yearling

yeah the grinding the teeth and breathing hard is stress. Tail swishing is annoyence cus she didnt want to do it.

try again tomorow then let her rest a day and then try again. You dont want to wear her out by doing too much at once. Also watch her when she rolls or goes to lay down, which way does she lay? which knee hits the ground first? that will help you out in the long run and make it easier for her to learn what you want.

Oh and don't let her dictate when she quits, you may have to work past the breathing hard and stress because horses can mimick them to get what they want. Get past that your girl won't quit on you and will trust you completely with whatever you ask of her. Be prepared to have an incredible bond with her and have fun.

Last edited by horsegirl4 : 12-27-2011 at 08:06 PM.
horsegirl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:36 PM  
Coming two

Send a message via AIM to Rafflesgirl
Please don't take this question as offensive, because it is not meant that way...but why exactly do you want to train a horse to lay down? That is unless it is a performing horse, such as a circus animal or such. Just curious is all. I guess I could even see training a mini, since I guess they are more commonly trained to do tricks I suppose, but why train a regular horse to lay down? Just to say we can?
Old 12-28-2011, 10:43 AM  
Yearling Member

Raffles... it is a mini.. this thread is in the miniature horse corner. lol

I've trained my mini mare to dance, pick up her hoof, back by snapping my fingers above her withers and bow.

Why train to lay down?
Well I used to bring her in my house when I had a house and always wanted her to just lay down.

I'll be hopefully getting a house this coming year so once again I'd like to teach her to lay down.

Also I think it is a good trick to learn- bond wise.

I will not teach her to rear though. I think that is just a little dangerous.

My friend taught her minis to rear.. but in times when she was trying to get them to do another trick, they kept reverting to rearing!
Also if you accidentally moved their lead up then down ,, they'd rear.

My mini also knows how to step up on a pedestal and go in a circle... very boring trick haha
Old 12-28-2011, 10:58 AM  
Long Yearling

Didnt train my minis, but my mare, was easy I didnt use rope but treats, and there is a spot on her side if you tickle she bows first, then laying down was easy...

Have to have a ton of patience...
Old 12-28-2011, 11:09 PM  
Coming two

Send a message via AIM to Rafflesgirl
Hee hee now I am laughing at myself! I actually didn't even realize this was a mini we were talking about! But again, I ask why do we want to have our full size horse lay down on command? Just curious. I guess it is just one more thing people can choose to do to bond with their horse if they choose to.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:17 PM  
Long Yearling

I think it's pretty cool tick, aside from that, it makes betting on bareback a little easier if you don't have a step-up
On a side note, I saw on Heartland (I know I know, it's just a TV show, but still thought it was cool) Amy taught a horse how to lay down so that his very uhh..strong willed heehee owner who was paralized from the waist down could get on him without people helping him on, or using the big ramps. Thought that was pretty cool.
In_Between2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:43 PM  
Bombproof Member

Bowing was pretty easy to teach my two.

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:17 PM  
Long Yearling

Thought I would post a link to another thread with my lenghty description on how to get a horse to bow.

Lay down is just an extension of the bow. Just holdthe bow for longer, press on the withers and the horse will eventually fall over. (will fall away from you)

Be sure to quickly move to the head of the horse to ensure you dont get a hoof in the shin!

And keep in mind some horses take a LONG time to give in and lay down, and when they do, let them stay there and rest for a long time, giving up and laying down should be a posative reward for them. Dont make them get up and do it again right away.

Feed them cookies while they are down there too.
Sit by thier head/shoulder away from thier legs!
Be sure to have a release word and cue for them to get up
Some horses may like to roll when they first go down, this is a stress releavier and is very common on young horses when learning to lay down.

http://forum.horsetopia.com/training...owing-s-2.html

LittleJewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:39 AM  
Kid Safe

One thing that I haven't seen anybody mention is that you have to pull back on them while asking them to lie down. So you're picking up a leg with one hand and pulling back on a lead rope tied to the halter on both sides or on the reins of a bridle. When we were at the trick training clinic we had to use a bridle with a snaffle bit and we pulled the horse backwards a bit while asking them to lie down. It can make them sit down at first but they eventually get it.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:34 PM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernHorseGirl View Post
One thing that I haven't seen anybody mention is that you have to pull back on them while asking them to lie down.

I itemized the steps in the other thread that I linked to.
I personally would not reccomend doing this "trick" in a bridle of any kind.
There is no reason that a horse who understands pressure (even to a minimal degree) cant do this in just a web halter.

LittleJewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:33 PM  
Long Yearling

Just a thought about teaching a horse to do....anything. I break it down into pieces. The tougher the task, the tinier the pieces. I would teach a bow first so the horse gets used to heading down to the ground. Laying down is the ultimate goal but it is going to take a multi-step process to teach and for the horse to learn. When teaching a horse, I want to stop the process at a point before they get really stressed or there is a blow-up. If that happens, I know I have pushed too far. There is no need to rush the training process. Take your time and also stop before you get too frustrated. My training sessions might only last 15 minutes. I try to have a goal in mind but will always be willing to adjust to fit the day. This is not to say I wouldn't be against pusing through some resistance but there's a fine line.

Good luck! I know you can achieve your goal.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:35 PM  
Long Yearling

PS.... LIVINGTHEDREAM... that baby of yours is just too cute for words!!! Your mare looks lovely, and so sweet. Thanks for the photo's.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Miniature Horse Corner