Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Miniature Horse Corner
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2010, 08:00 AM  
Weanling Member

Mini Horse Stalls - Advice

Hello,

My father and I sell horse equipment for a local welding shop. They make standard stalls, with rolling doors for average sized horses. We've had numerous questions about getting mini horse stalls made, but we don't know much about what the requirements for a mini horse stall would be. (although we have made a mini round pen!) We've tried researching, but we were not able to find very many manufacturers in Canada that offer mini horse stalls. We've recently started designing our own stall fronts to give a bit of a different option to our customers, so now we'd also like to offer mini stalls to fill that gap in the industry. I would love to know what everyone thinks. What safety features should we be looking at? What dimensions should we be building them to? What are some of your concerns when it comes to the stalls that you keep your minis in? We have been designing our stalls with safety and low price in mind, so we're hoping to offer a safe, affordable, good quality option to mini horse owners. Any pictures would also be helpful! Thanks!

\"You cannot train a horse with shouts and expect it to obey a whisper.\" - Dagobert D. Runes
Palomino06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:16 AM  
Halter broke

I know nothing butt...

A friend has mini stalls, they are 5x7' and they look like regular stalls but the wood is tall and the metal bars are only about 2' tall. The front door looks just like the sides, but it swings out and has a latch. The stalls are great! She used to try to section off regular sized stalls and it was not working for her! Great Idea!

And sorry, I do not have a picture
Charlee- 16hh palomino appendix QH!
South of the Mason Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:06 AM  
Halter broke

The owner of our boarding barn has mini's and mini stalls. Hers do not have any wood, but have the up and down bars. That way they can see all around them. I'd have to ask for the width and length but are quite comfortable for the mini's (as she brings them inside once the weather gets colder out) and works well to keep her big dogs in during the times when the mini's are outside (dual purpose!).
pfabulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:30 AM  
Long Yearling

I just did a quick google search and found this site http://www.horsestalls.com/minihorsestalls.htm
There are a number of companys in the US that sell them. Hope this helps.
cindyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:20 AM  
Halter broke

Thats almost exactly what I was talking about! But hers have wood where the white is and diffrent dimmensions
Charlee- 16hh palomino appendix QH!
South of the Mason Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:26 AM  
Kid Safe

One of my stalls.

This one was supposed to be a temporary stall but I think it's one of our best. The animals appear to be more relaxed in this one as compared to the ones we built in the new section.

Here in the new section of the barn they can't see out and tend to leap on the walls and door. The horses are also "jumpy" as they don't know I'm coming until BAM there I am peering down on them. The kids think it's fun to watch them leap out of their skin.

This is a 30" mini in an 8x12' stall 4' high. I designed the stall door so that it was eight inches shorter but the minis still don't like it. I'm thinking of making it an all view door kind of like a tube gate with the fence panel welded on it.

I have a stall that is 4x8 I guess you can say it's big enough for a class A mini but I like them to have more room to move around. When I use this stall as a run-in it fits two comfortably.
I have a dutch door that leads out into a pen.

Last edited by farmergal : 12-16-2010 at 10:32 AM.
farmergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:38 PM  
Halter broke

I used regular stall sides and tube gate on front....works great

src="http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/IMG_1020.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>
suziq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:51 PM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziq View Post
src="http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/IMG_1020.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>
Wow thats pretty neat do you have other photos you could share.
HAYHAYSTABLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:13 AM  
Kid Safe

The tube gate is really nice but it's not safe for all minis. I've had my yearlings get their head stuck in them. That is why my gate into the pasture has welded fence on it. But I have to admit I like how the entire front on yours can be opened for cleaning. My hubby took a saw to my stall front, pulled the center post and didn't put it back together. So I roped my son into helping me. Nothing went back together the same as it was. Now I have to re-do the door.

Last edited by farmergal : 12-17-2010 at 04:21 AM.
farmergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:48 AM  
Weanling Member

Thanks for all your advice, it definitely seems like there is a market out there! We're thinking of making them 6'X8', but we'll definitely take custom orders in case someone wants larger or smaller. Everyone's stalls are very similar to what we were thinking. We could do wood boards up 36", and then another foot and half perhaps of bars. Now, because mini's are so close to the ground, I think it would be a good idea to have good ventilation. So we'll definitely offer a door with spindles all the way to the floor. We can also offer a stall front the same way. We usually weld the spindles 3" apart on centre, and then we add a 2"X2" sturdy wire mesh in front of it. We've done this for a stall with a pony in, and a stall with mini donkeys in before, so we know that works for keeping small hooves out of danger! If anyone has anymore advice, feel free to tell me! I would like to know what types of features people would want on these stalls, such as a place for mini's to put their heads out, unless we leave the top of the stall door open. ... A lot of things to think about!

\"You cannot train a horse with shouts and expect it to obey a whisper.\" - Dagobert D. Runes
Old 12-18-2010, 12:08 PM  
Long Yearling

The issues I had with my minis were that babies can get under or through things (especially when first born)....but they like to see out too....boards at 36" my big minis would have had a hard time seeing and the foals could have seen nothing ('cept from the door)....my kids liked knowing what was going on with all the others and always were looking out when stalled....I think of the minis like the farm gossips ....They always wanted to know all the going ons

Having removable "dividers" would be good too....I had a big run / stall that was divided off for mamas and babes for birthing....but since many farms have big horse stalls, having a way to make it smaller in a portable way would be very helpful and a way to make safe "runs" off the stall would have helped me out....I used the same barns for big horses in foal and for the minis too....so being able to adapt the big stall would have been great...

Also the "feeders" and attachments like places to tie a horse and hooks to put things on inside the stalls that are set up just for minis - that could have helped....My mini babies were more playful with "toys" like a halter hung up........stalls made for their personality...

Now I want little minis again

Oh and if the stall pieces could be light enough for one person to carry / assemble....I know many who got into minis cause of back problems or such and because they couldn't ride the bigs anymore, they got minis....but working with the equipment can be hard because of that.....also cheaper to ship....

Last edited by Peter-John's Love : 12-18-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Peter-John's Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:18 PM  
Halter broke

mini stalls

.............also we mounted the stall sides on a hinge so the sides can be moved to make it easier to clean. I have a bad back and this lets me do everything on the tractor.
suziq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:06 PM  
Weanling Member

Well, we're planning on offering the full spindle door and full spindle front - it will give better ventilation and allow the ponies to see their surroundings. The idea of having swinging dividers is actually pretty good. They could simply be on hinges, but this would mean that the stalls would have to be completely square so that it could open and lay flush against the back wall of the stall. This would make it easy to make a regular stall into a broodmare stall, or to be able to open all the dividers, including the very end one, so that you could slip into the stalls with a small tractor or skid steer to clean. That's a great idea! And we can definitely use a light weight steel to make these stalls, as mini's won't do too much damage. I'll have to think about different options for the mini stalls, such as hay feeders, tie rings, "V" openings .... etc.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:27 PM  
Bombproof Member

For minis, why not a wooden framed gate with chain link stretched across so the mini can see out without craning it's neck to see over top.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Miniature Horse Corner