Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Miniature Horse Corner
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2010, 06:01 AM  
Newborn Member

at what age does a colts testicles drop?

I want to have my stud colt gelded..I want to be able to keep him with his two half sisters...
chixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:05 PM  
Pasture Pet

From my personal experience, when you feel them is when they drop, no kiddiing, anywhere from less than a year to over 2 so you might need to check, at least every week, and if one comes down than a while later the other.
horselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:25 PM  
Coming two

Minis can be tricky little buggers with their testicles! I have had colts born desended and others take up to two years. It is good advice, just go out there and cop a feel once a week 'till they are there. Plus it teaches your colt to let his "boy parts" be handled.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:23 PM  
Long Yearling

I don't own a miniature, but I assume they are like big horses. Sometimes...they don't drop. I have had the pleasure of owning two cryptorchid colts in the last two years. All the vets that I've talked to said that if they both aren't descended by age 2, then they probably aren't going to descend. One of my colts could actually be gelded normally. They called it a 'high flanker', but the other was a true cryptorchid and had to stay at the vets for like 10 days after his surgery.
I truly hope that your colts does descend. I was a nervous wreck for both the surgeries

Samba - 2009 grey Andalusian gelding
Flint - 2012 bay Friesian/Arabian gelding
boo_loves_kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:52 AM  
Coming two

Its a myth that minis take longer then big horses to drop. This is perpetuated by breeders breeding stallions that never dropped or dropped late. All of our colts have been down at birth (which is as it should be) One might be a tad high but they are there. If by spring of their first year they still cant be felt then you have crypt. These cost more to geld unfortunately.

We have gelded them as young as 3 months. If possible I really prefer to geld them before spring of their first year as they dont tend to act as studly. I have one now though that we had to wait as he had an eye injury and had 2 surgeries to his eye. Just didnt want to stress him with another surgery but he hopefully will be done soon

Kay
Old 01-18-2010, 08:19 AM  
Newborn Member

thank you ... my colt will by one in may... when dh gets home I will have him palpate to see if we can feel them...
Old 01-18-2010, 08:35 AM  
Pasture Pet

I have had over 200 minis born here and I can not remember how many colts and we have had maybe one that was dropped at birth, so I do not know why KayKay's colts all were born with testicles.????
As was already stated some drop early and some late, and one will decend earlier than the other
And to me a horse is a horse either big or small, but of course small does have a few more problems.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:50 AM  
Coming two

Quote:
KayKay's colts all were born with testicles.????
Many miniature bloodlines can be traced as late dropping or known for producing crypts. We steer very clear of those.

If I ever do produce a colt that is not dropped at birth and not easily felt by spring of the first year then it would be gelded and never sold as a stallion

If one of my stallions repeatedly produced colts that dont drop he would be gelded.

I really feel this is why its unfortunately so common in miniatures to have them drop late or be a crypt. Because people keep breeding late dropping stallions that in turn produce sons that are late droppers. Its a viscious cycle.

The myth that is okay for minis to drop late has really hurt the miniatures. That is why people think its okay to breed stallions that have not dropped

Now I will say I have not bred anywhere close to 200 foals
Old 01-18-2010, 10:20 AM  
Kid Safe

I've never groped mini colts, but Toby was dropped at birth, and gelded at 3 months. I know some colts that dropped as late as almost 2, and others that 'sucked them back up' after their owners felt two down, as well.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:25 PM  
Newborn Member

can he be gelded before the acrually drop? I don't want any babie. I was planning on having him gelded in the spring
Old 01-18-2010, 07:53 PM  
Pasture Pet

It is never a good idea to keep a late dropping colt, he should be gelded for everyones safety and the safety of not having him be sold to someone thinking it is a gelding,
When I keep a colt past two and he is not breeding material than the vet is called. but so far the stallions that I have kept as such were and still are producing awesome babies,
so getting back to what the op asks, just check every week until both are down and than have the vet out before fly season.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:19 AM  
Long Yearling

If he is a high flanker, it shouldn't be a big deal and the surgery would be the same as if it were descended and it would cost the same. If he is a true cryptorchid, then it will be more involved and cost quite a bit more. Vets do the surgery differently. Some actually go in through the flank to retrieve it and some go through the scrotum. I would do some reading up on it and contact different vets to see which has more experience. I've heard of some bad surgeries and recoveries from going in through the flank. I've also had vets price quote up to $450 for the surgery too....So, definitely shop around. My little friesian had the surgery in September and the vet went through the scrotum and stayed at the vets for 10 days, until all the packing was removed. He has not had any complications at all.

Samba - 2009 grey Andalusian gelding
Flint - 2012 bay Friesian/Arabian gelding
boo_loves_kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:56 PM  
Newborn Member

I tried to feel him and he looked at me like"hey what are you doing?" I didn't get a good feel... I will get hubby to try when he gets home friday
Old 01-21-2010, 06:55 AM  
Coming two

Its best to pick the warmest time of the day to try and feel them. Morning is never good to find them LOL. Get them when they are full of feed and relaxed. Some minis testicles are pretty small (quarter size) so they can be hard to find.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:43 AM  
Weanling Member

When To Castrate?

Horses can be castrated at any age. I have castrated foals at one day of age and stallions into their 20s. Although both of these extreme situations were emergencies where the horses had developed scrotal hernias (the small intestine had herniated or protruded into the scrotal sac), all recovered well. Most veterinarians will agree that castrating horses at a young age (less than one year old) is ideal. Male horses at that age have smaller testicles that are easier to remove and have less of a chance of severe bleeding post-operatively. Many people castrate horses when they become a management problem--around two to three years of age. This could be due to a desire for the horses to develop a more masculine appearance (thicker neck, heavier build).

If a horse is gelded earlier in life, then it will grow taller--closing of the growth plates in the legs is delayed with early castration. The ideal time to castrate a horse is variable and will depend on several factors, including the management of your farm, the climate, training schedules, and so on.

For example, you might want to wait to castrate your yearling colt until he is two years old. However, if the barn where you board your horse only has one paddock, turning your intact colt out with other horses invariably results in a fight when the colt begins mounting and herding the other horses. To save the peace (and injuries to your colt), it might be best to castrate him earlier.

Another example could be that you want to castrate your 2-year-old colt in January so that he is acting like a gelding by the first show in March. However, you live in central New York, where heavy snow and extremely cold temperatures are the norm in January. It might be best to wait for warmer weather so that regular exercise following castration won't be impeded. Or, for a little more money, you can have him castrated at a clinic where the incisions are closed and there is no need to worry about the castration sites becoming swollen or infected. What's the difference between field and clinic castration? Read on. i just copied and pasted from another web site . I usually do mine at 3 months of age.
arkyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:11 AM  
GV4
Yearling Member

Granted, I don't have minis, but of the 7 colts born on our farm, 6 had testicles present at the first foal exam within days of birth. The 7th colt was not descended and ended up in a vet clinic for 8 days for the gelding procedure.
GV4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:42 AM  
Pasture Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by chixie View Post
I tried to feel him and he looked at me like"hey what are you doing?" I didn't get a good feel... I will get hubby to try when he gets home friday

Just get into the habit of checking, and memorize the feel and when there is something different you will know what it is, and he will also be less spooky when you have to clean him up after gelding him., hands on is my motto.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Miniature Horse Corner