Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Long Ear Chat
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2008, 04:28 PM  
Started

Mini Donkey Price???

Don't know much about the market as far as Mini donkeys go. was thinking of getting a donkey from Lady that had wanted to get rid of them but now she is starting to change her mind as She keeps changing her price.Last price she told me was WAY too much for what I think she would ever get or what I would pay.
So What is the average going price? for about 5 yr old Jack & also has a yearling Jenny I thought would have been cute.
paintedpastures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:33 PM  
Bombproof Member

They would bring about $400-800 each here.
BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:21 PM  
Long Yearling

It depends on the donkey really.

I sell Jacks as pet quality only on the condition of gelding (or geld them before I sell them) between $300 and $500

I sell breeding quality jacks (usually spotted) for anywhere between $800-$1,000

Jennys anywhere between $1000-1500

I am selling a breeding pair-- proven jenny---breeding jack for $2000

Alot of people look at color too--- grey/brown are less than spots, whites, blacks, reds, ect.

Our herd sire was purchased for $2000
Old 04-21-2008, 08:15 PM  
Started

Ok the Lady recently lost her Husband & knows little about horses & donkeys. She wanted to find them all new homes.I helped her out selling the horses & thought I may buy a donkey from her.She really hasn't much idea what they sell for nor did I.I know I was told the local auction you are lucky to get $100,a friend bought his 2 jenny's each for $250.We are just looking to have a pet/lawn ornament ,lol...no breeding.I already have a older gelded donkey{he was a freebe}.she originally was talking maybe $250 but now she says $500/each OBO.both for the jack & the baby Jenny.I thought the $500 sounded like alot.If she wan't $200-300 maybe.The Jack is very friendly to the point of being a pest actually.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:33 PM  
Long Yearling

What color are they and how tall? $500 is a steal IMO for a jack and jenny. I've heard they go quite cheap at auctions though and understand what you are saying... if she's lookin to just find them a good home to someone who just wants them as pets I think she should go down in her price. I know I have made major sacrifices to find good homes to donkeys that were 'specail needs'... I have sold a jenny for $100 and a jack for $100--- (not to the same person... they were sold as pets only)

Perhaps you could just assure her again they will be pets and will have a good home.

It's totally different when you are buying pets rather than investments. The prices I quoted you are for people who breed them or want a show quality animal, like I said.... there have been times that I have let some go so cheap it barely covered the vet inspection and coggins.

Maybe you could agree to geld the jack?
Old 04-22-2008, 12:07 AM  
Started

That is $500 each not for both.If got the Jack he would be gelded for sure.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:20 AM  
Long Yearling

I personally don't think that is a bad deal, like I said I'm offering a jack and jenny and asking $2,000 half of what she is. There is a suprising market for little donkeys but if she is not having luck finding a buyer, isn't prepared to keep them she should knock that down to pet-only price.

I don't really know though without seeing the little guys.... Yup, I'm prying for pics!

But really if they have good confo, good personality, and are small (under 36-much smaller for a jack) they can get quite pricey. Especailly if they have some color to them.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:00 PM  
Started

Are they registered?

At the auctions they are really cheap right now. A few months ago I saw the smallest and prettiest pair (regular grey colored) that I have ever seen. I am about 5' 2" with boots on and these little guys weren't much past knee high. They were a jack and jenny pair broke to drive (they were wearing harness and drove around at the sale) and very gentle. The jenny brought $70 and the jack brought $30. I was suprised at how cheap they were. I so wish I had bought the jenny, she was also bred. I just saw a handful sell two weeks ago. They were about 40 - 50 inches tall. The smallest one sold for $35 the bigger ones $15 - $25. Now, I'm sure these weren't high quality donkeys, but they were straight legged and cute. An appaloosa jack about 40 inches tall sold for $70.
lopintoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:56 PM  
Long Yearling

A tiny pair went for that cheap?! Wow. Wish I would have been there.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:17 PM  
Started

Yea, I was shocked that they went that cheap, and they were the smallest pair I'd ever seen. They were adorable...and correctly put together. If I'd had the room I would have brought both home, but for sure the jenny. I'll probly never see them that cheap again...but you never know if prices stay this low.
lopintoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Long Ear Chat