Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Long Ear Chat
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2011, 05:37 PM  
Weanling Member

do you blanket your donkey???

So I'm trying to decide if I want to make my donks some blankets. But I'm not really sure if they NEED them. We get lots of rain sometimes in the winter, it doesn't snow. but gets pretty chilly. I know lol, not *that* cold LOL.

my plan was to use a high tech soft shell fabric, it's water resistant & breathable/moisture wicking. More like a donkey 'sweatshirt' rather than a blanket. It's stretchy so it'll move with them.

Just trying to decide if they really need them before getting some fabric. I'd love to hear about if you blanket your donks or not.
akyramoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:40 PM  
Weanling Member

My BO has four donks and never blankets and it gets cold cold cold here (and lots of snow ) and they all do just fine and get thick coats
Old 10-10-2011, 07:03 PM  
Coming two

My feeling is that unless they are body clipped, blankets are not necessary. If they have a place to get out of rain, they will be fine. Equines enjoy much lower temperatures than humans do. A blanket can compress the natural insulation that the winter coat provides. If the animal sweats under the blanket, then they can chill easily. Donkeys have such wonderful coats for keeping warm and shedding water. If I knew there was going to be a freezing rain, I'd bring them inside, but I wouldn't blanket. Keeping warm is more a matter of having lots of hay to keep the metabolic heat going from the inside.

Sweet Dixie, always a part of my heart
DixieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:21 PM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieMom View Post
My feeling is that unless they are body clipped, blankets are not necessary. If they have a place to get out of rain, they will be fine. Equines enjoy much lower temperatures than humans do. A blanket can compress the natural insulation that the winter coat provides. If the animal sweats under the blanket, then they can chill easily. Donkeys have such wonderful coats for keeping warm and shedding water. If I knew there was going to be a freezing rain, I'd bring them inside, but I wouldn't blanket. Keeping warm is more a matter of having lots of hay to keep the metabolic heat going from the inside.
this was my thinking also , I don't want them to get too hot. they have a shelter to stand in if they wish, and they do use it quite a bit. I think I'm gonna pass on blankets. thanks for all the advice! It was very helpful
akyramoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:37 PM  
Coming two

My friends in Montana have horses that are turned out to the big pastures over the winter. They grow shaggy coats and are never brought in, no matter what the temperature or weather, and they are just fine as long as they have hay.

It just cracks me up to see people here in Arizona putting blankets on their horses as soon as it gets to 50 degress. Brother! That is the kind of weather horses just LOVE. And then their people go and put blankets on them and make them hot all over again - just when they thought the weather was finally cooling down and they were thinking that life would be good.

PS: You can tell how well your donkeys are insulated if you go out on a real cold day and just rest your hand on the top of their fur. It will feel cool. Then snuggle your fingers down next to their skin and see how warm they are. That shaggy coat is like your down jacket on a cold day - cool to touch from the outside, but snuggy warm on the inside.

Sweet Dixie, always a part of my heart

Last edited by DixieMom : 10-10-2011 at 08:40 PM.
DixieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:11 PM  
Halter broke

Do you blanket your donkey?

I put a sheet on my mule if we're getting a significant amount of freezing rain/frigid cold. She has a tendency to stand out "guarding" the rest of the group no matter what the weather and it makes me feel better to cover her...... Prior to our relationship, she was pastured with cows for 8 years on a mountain top with no blanket and survived just fine...
Old 11-02-2011, 08:51 PM  
Newborn Member

I was about to ask the same question! My donkey always has this long shaggy coat, even in summer. It doesn't get too cold here in VA either. I'm pretty sure CC (aka Chocolate Chip aka my donkey) would find a way to wriggle out of a blanket in no time too.
sterling98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Long Ear Chat