Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Long Ear Chat
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2009, 06:40 PM  
Halter broke

Standard vs. Miniature Donkey?

What are the pros and cons of standard sized donkeys versus miniature donkeys? Are there any at all? This is with the understanding that both are healthy and very friendly jennets that would be pastured with a lonely gelding.
brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:43 PM  
Halter broke

Difference in $ too...

I also wanted to add that I know the purchase price will be different. I am mostly interested in upkeep/maintenance as well as any problems that one may/may not experience that would be different.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:27 AM  
Long Yearling

Just my opinion - I had miniatures...

I did not find any genetic issues in the miniatures that you see in other miniature animals...they just seemed to be smaller. But with any down sized critter (or enlarged like a mammouth (sp?)...), I try to be sure there was not a genetic reason for the size issue (Like, dwarfs in mini horses).

Cost to buy - standard are CHEAP right now. Color has a factor in cost. Also training.... "Guard" standard donks cost next to nothing - or are even free around here. The minis still have "value"....but I haven't looked at prices recently.

Cost of care - I would say it is equal...hoof care, vet, feed, meds would be about the same or equal. I don't think that would be a factor.

Many standards, seem to get less handling (around here lots of guard field donks), and some of the minis I have met are sometimes overly spoiled....neither is good for a donk IMO...so that would be a consideration for me for sure.

The main thing I have seen - bloodlines and color (reds are really desired...TRUE blacks with no cross, creams and spotted are easier to sell and more costly to buy.)

Miniature horses and donks can be a size that is in danger from a kick from a big horse (head in danger of a kick)...not sure of the size of your gelding, but maybe a standard would be a better size match.

If I bought again...attitude would be most critical for me....one that trusts people.

Hope that helps some....

Last edited by Peter-John's Love : 02-10-2009 at 08:32 AM.
Peter-John's Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:08 PM  
Halter broke

Thank you so much...

this is great information.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Long Ear Chat