Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Horse Stories
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2008, 11:37 PM  
Coming two

First Pony Club lesson

Daughter and I just came home from her first pony club lesson.I was a bit apprehensive about how pony would behave.He is a very high energy type of horse and she is a beginner ,but has some experience.This is the first time we have trailered him anywhere to ride so we were not sure what to expect.He was really excited when he came off the trailer(not to fond of trailering),but we led him over to the arena and lunged him a bit to settle him down.Daughter tacked him up mounted and away they went .He behaved very well and she kept him under complete control the whole lesson,.When we loaded him to go home he was even well behaved for that no usual trailer pawing.This is the night that I have looked forward to and dreaded since she joined pony club,now I know it was a good thing to do.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:16 AM  
Kid Safe

When you got home, you must've just gone, "phew - we made it through everything, what a relief" . Glad to hear it all went well, so... when do you have to do it again ? It gets easier every time
Old 05-13-2008, 07:27 AM  
Coming two

Thanks AlbertaGirl,actaully I went" phew we made it " just after we got in the truck to go home.I really wasn't sure how he would behave , he's always the horse that seems to surprise me for some reason.Kearstyn was so pleased with him she couldn't stop smiling.On the May long week-end they will be doing Prince Phillip Games at Darwell.It's a weekend of lessons and the last day is a day of putting what you've learned to use.So we will be on the road again Friday!

Last edited by lady dumpling : 05-13-2008 at 07:30 AM.
lady dumpling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:59 PM  
Yearling Member

WOO HOO!!!! GO KEARSTYN!!!

Same to you Cindy! Congrats on making it there and back!
As time goes on, the pawing and screaming will stop.
Just be happy your horse isnt tall enough to scrape his head on random ceiling pieces!

Tell kearstyn i wish her the best of luck this weekend!! I expect a LOT of pictures ok!?!?!
Old 05-15-2008, 12:05 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Glad you made it there & back. Your first drive with the trailer went well .
Horselessnomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:19 AM  
Coming two

Thanks guys, the trailoring went well I knew I could drive(straight) with the trailer,was just nervous about the horse,and backing up which I avoided.Not ready for backing up yet.Dumpling was a pretty good boy for Kearstyn,and that was a good feeling. I never once felt nervous for her or frustrated with him while she was riding.He had a pony moment at the trailer after we unloaded,but he settled down and listened after he was lunged a bit.This weekend will be interesting as it is a 3 day event .We arrive Friday night and set up.Saturday they start lessons and continue through Sunday.Monday they have a fun competition ,then we pack up and come home.I have never camped with a horse before so i don't even have the foggiest idea if I am forgetting anything .I guess ingnorance is bliss
Old 05-15-2008, 10:30 AM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady dumpling View Post
Thanks guys, the trailoring went well I knew I could drive(straight) with the trailer,was just nervous about the horse,and backing up which I avoided.Not ready for backing up yet.Dumpling was a pretty good boy for Kearstyn,and that was a good feeling. I never once felt nervous for her or frustrated with him while she was riding.He had a pony moment at the trailer after we unloaded,but he settled down and listened after he was lunged a bit.This weekend will be interesting as it is a 3 day event .We arrive Friday night and set up.Saturday they start lessons and continue through Sunday.Monday they have a fun competition ,then we pack up and come home.I have never camped with a horse before so i don't even have the foggiest idea if I am forgetting anything .I guess ingnorance is bliss
Sounds like a ton of fun!! Pony club camps are amazing, and it will be great for Kearstyn to connect with other girls her age with the same passions.

Just bring EVERYTHING... camping with horses is one of the most rewarding things you can do. you really get to know your horse that way. HAVE FUN!!
Old 05-15-2008, 11:29 AM  
Coming two

She has made a couple frindships in pony club that she really enjoys.On our way to lessons the other night she tells me "Mom my friends at school call me a HorseFreek!"I told her it was better to be a HorseFreek rather than just a freek.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:48 PM  
Weanling Member

Congratulations Lady Dumpling!!!
Our daughter has been in Pony Club for about 4 years now, and we are very pleased with the organization. As for your first horse camping weekend- Sli92 is correct- just take EVERYTHING!!

I hope your Pony Club DC or one of the other advisers gave you a list of things you are supposed to have along (at minimum), if not, ASK for one.
Our region is pretty strict on making sure you have what you need at camp.

Also, I have found that the more experienced Pony Clubbers are quick to help out the newbies (as they are required to do in order to "rate up"), so I wouldn't expect you'd be on your own at camp.

Good luck and have fun!!!

P.S. - Tell your daughter that "horsefreaks" are cool!!!

Pictures? Yeah, I gots LOTS of pictures.... http://imageevent.com/kopycat/horses
Rob2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:20 PM  
Seasoned

Send a message via AIM to Thunderz Gurlz Send a message via Yahoo to Thunderz Gurlz
Congrats! But.. No pictures?
Old 05-15-2008, 10:51 PM  
Coming two

No pictures yet Thunder Gurlz we haven't been there ,when we get back home .Rob2010,didn't get an exact list,recieved an e-mail last night with a few mandatory items on it ,we don't have a medical arm band (didn't know anything about them ) so hopefully we can wing something there.Glad to hear another Pony Club review.We have 4-H experience(beef) so this is totally new to us.I really appreciate the way the education is laid out in the manuals and the way the levels are. My daughter is 12 years old so starting out a little older than others, but She enjoys the club alot.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:08 PM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady dumpling View Post
No pictures yet Thunder Gurlz we haven't been there ,when we get back home .Rob2010,didn't get an exact list,recieved an e-mail last night with a few mandatory items on it ,we don't have a medical arm band (didn't know anything about them ) so hopefully we can wing something there.Glad to hear another Pony Club review.We have 4-H experience(beef) so this is totally new to us.I really appreciate the way the education is laid out in the manuals and the way the levels are. My daughter is 12 years old so starting out a little older than others, but She enjoys the club alot.

Medical arm band, yup. We found out about that at the last minute on our first PC camp too. The only source we could find for the armbands was online, but since we had no time for the delivery, my wife made a very serviceable (and still in use) medical armband employing a fishing license holder, a tennis elbow brace, and self-adhesive velcro straps. I love my wife. She is very inventive.

The other things that you don't want to forget for sure: Stall card (properly filled-out), 3 water buckets w/ straps (or string) to hold them to the stall, properly fitting helmet (ASTM rated- and check the date!), leather or break-away halter, cotton lead rope, and a cross country vest if she will be doing any jumping or cross country.

Let us know all about it when you get back.

Rob

Pictures? Yeah, I gots LOTS of pictures.... http://imageevent.com/kopycat/horses
Rob2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:25 AM  
Yearling Member

My first event is Beaumont, may 7-8. They are $10, and you can pick them up there... or i can pick one up for you and send it up your way.
they are very handy and you can replace the little sheet inside from online

Now for the question... its wednsday.... pictures!?
Old 05-21-2008, 09:37 AM  
Coming two

Thanks Sarah I actually got one at the PPG camp,so no worries any more.

Yes pictures I took a few the first day,too distracted the 2nd and the 3rd I worked as a judge.I will have to see about downloading tonight.My computer tech(Coulton) just left this morning for a week.sooo not sure how that will work.

Last edited by lady dumpling : 05-21-2008 at 09:41 AM.
lady dumpling is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Horse Stories