Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Hoof Talk
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2008, 04:00 PM  
Started

Send a message via MSN to horsey-gal
Cutting the frog?

The other day I was watching the farrier at the barn work on some horses feet. One thing I have always noticed is that she cuts some of the frog off. She trims the outer frog skin along the top and sides of the frog, leaving white frog underneath. She takes all the black covering off.
This doesn't seem to bother the horses, but it isn't something my farrier does! Why would this need to be done? She does it on all the horses, barefoot or shod.
I have asked her, and she said that is how you trim a foot.

" If God made anything more beautiful, he kept it for himself. "
horsey-gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:09 PM  
Bombproof Member

I'm not a professional farrier, but I took a do-it-yourself class last year and am a fan of barefoot trims. We were taught to trim off the frog with some common sense considerations.

With regular trims, your main goal is to ensure that the frog has no bits and pieces easily caught on terrain such that it might end up getting torn. If the frog gets to be too long, the tip of the V especially is at risk.

There are also going to be certain times of the year where the frog might naturally shed off, and so trimming off dead tissue is adviseable. I've heard that drafts might shed more frequently.

When trimming the frog, it's important to not trim it so short that the horse is walking on the walls of his feet without that support cushion down the middle of teh hoof.

With that said, I think that might also be a difference between barefoot trims and shod horses ... I think that shoes keep the horse up off the frog a bit, so tearing might be less likely. I don't shoe mine, so I don't know about that.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:16 PM  
Seasoned

I trim the frog along the bars to open the grooves to help allow air in and keep thrush out.

Izzy my walking dream!!!
cook1745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:32 PM  
Started

I understand taking bits off the frog to prevent it from getting torn, but these horses feet looked good, and so did their frog. She rasped along them too, IMO, their feet are too flat. She does the entire frog though, this is ok?

Old 11-27-2008, 06:14 PM  
Started

Yes, it is fine. Personal preference with farriers. Some do, and some don't.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:21 PM  
Started

Ok, I learn something new everyday

Old 11-27-2008, 06:41 PM  
Started

Just make sure they don't over do it. But that is such a hard call, but I have had farriers go both ways. My current farrier who I trust explicitely does trim it, but very little.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:12 PM  
Started

The farrier isn't my farrier, she does the BO horses. I don't care for her trimming methods. As for cutting too much off, I am not a farrier and I don't always get to watch her work, so I don't know. Just haven't seen it done to her extent before, thought I'd ask

Old 11-27-2008, 07:22 PM  
Yearling Member

Hey i am a farrier, and I trim a bit of the frog, I just clean it up. I don't pare away at it.

Name the place, the time, the day... you are still guarenteed to find me with horses.
http://www.hbrstable.com
imasassycowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 07:27 PM  
Started

I understand the trimming it, but it just seems what she is doing is a bit extreme.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:39 AM  
Seasoned

My farrier does an HPT trim (for barefoot horses) and never, never trims the frog unless it is ragged or has flaps that are blocking the grooves. A farrier can set a barefoot horse back months by trimming the frog. Many farriers are taught to routinely trim the entire frog unfortunately.

Here are the rules to live by for barefoot horses, Pete Ramey style:
(From http://www.hoofrehab.com/frogtrim.htm)

1)The removal of “flaps” that harbor destructive fungus and bacteria. (frog trimming is healthy)
2) The removal of external callusing that protects the frog from destructive fungus and bacteria. (frog trimming is harmful)
3)The removal of excess frog height/pressure that can cause sensitivity. (frog trimming increases comfort)
4)The thinning of the frog’s protective barrier between the sensitive corium and the terrain can overexpose nerves to pressure. (frog trimming causes lameness and bruising)
Old 11-28-2008, 11:15 AM  
Started

Fishing_Trex, that's what I always thought too. Like I said, I understand trimming flaps etc. . . but to trim the entire frog to the extent she does is asking for problems, IMO.
My farrier does a barefoot trim, and I am beyond pleased with his work. He has never touched the frogs on either of my horses yet.

Old 11-28-2008, 02:01 PM  
Halter broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishing_trex View Post

1)The removal of “flaps” that harbor destructive fungus and bacteria. (frog trimming is healthy)
2) The removal of external callusing that protects the frog from destructive fungus and bacteria. (frog trimming is harmful)
3)The removal of excess frog height/pressure that can cause sensitivity. (frog trimming increases comfort)
4)The thinning of the frog’s protective barrier between the sensitive corium and the terrain can overexpose nerves to pressure. (frog trimming causes lameness and bruising)
This is absolutely correct. I wish more trimmers/farriers would adhere to this. Sadly this is not the case.
pete026 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Hoof Talk