Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Hoof Talk
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:38 AM  
Yearling Member

Cut through coronary band... What to do?

A couple days ago Sheer Kahn cut his front left foot. Unfortunately, it cut the coronary band too. It's a clean cut, too small to be stitched. I looks very minor compared to some of the cuts I have seen, but still it's through the band.

Does anyone have any remedies to speed the healing process? I put some ointment on it, but Kahn licked it off. He keeps the cut really clean himself as he licks it alot.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I will get a picture of it this evening after work.

"Sit tall in the saddle, Hold your head up high, Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky, And live like you ain't afraid to die, And don't be scared, Just enjoy your ride." ~Chris LeDoux
Old 03-26-2008, 08:41 AM  
Coming two

I would put some ointment on it then vet wrap it so the medicine will stay on. It will speed up the healing process.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:55 AM  
Yearling Member

Check the tread on 'those following Romeo's hoof injury'. It has some good info. I'd suggest you keep the area clean.... flush with water for 10 minutes 2x daily if you can. Use a salve-type ointment - you want to keep the cornary band and the hoof that grows from it soft and flexible. Wrap the area with gauze followed by vet wrap to keep the ointment on and him away from it. Wrap down over the entire hoof and up the leg past the ankle. Even though he's keeping it "clean", it's not the same as flushed clean with water, with ointment on, debris out, etc. etc. Consult with your farrier.... it will probably damage the growing hoof area and you may want to start corrective shoeing to support the hoof while it grows out. I always do a 10-day course of Tucoprim (antibiotics) also with a cut. Good luck!
Old 03-26-2008, 09:11 AM  
Yearling Member

Thanks Tobiesmom for the info about Romeo's thread. I will check that out. I will be heading to Atwoods (like Tractor Supply) to pick up vet tape, gauze, and a different type of ointment. Sheer Kahn is going to send me to the looney bin. He belongs to my fiance who is also my farrier, so I have tried really hard not to let anything happen to him. Now this...

ETA: Just found the thread on wound care products. It was really helpful too!

"Sit tall in the saddle, Hold your head up high, Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky, And live like you ain't afraid to die, And don't be scared, Just enjoy your ride." ~Chris LeDoux

Last edited by jen21 : 03-26-2008 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:27 AM  
Started

Elastikon is your best friend! I like it better than Vetwrap!

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot the tourists?
Old 03-28-2008, 10:25 AM  
Yearling Member

Clean the area well, shave it if possible, and use a broad spectrum anti-microbial of choice. Then wrap with vet wrap - don't get it too tight! Clean and reapply meds daily. Also cold hosing daily will help if there is any swelling. DO NOT use antibiotics (internal or shots) unless it gets grossly infected (horse will have a fever over 101). Something like triple antibiotic ointment on the wound is fine.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:36 AM  
Weanling Member

Please do not use antibiotics unless it is infected. Keep it clean and use vet wrap if you can. Watch the hoof as it grows out and keep your farrier on top of it. It really scares me to hear people always suggesting antibiotics, please don't listen to that advice. Sorry if I offend anyone but anyone that has taken some microbiology courses would agree with me I'm sure.
And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown
Old 03-28-2008, 12:38 PM  
Yearling Member

Thanks everyone for the responses. I have not put him on antibiotics or used antibiotic cream. To me, after calming down and really looking at the situation, I don't believe the cut is any worse that a horse nicking itself from overstepping. He didn't have any swelling. I tend to really get worked up over little things when it comes to the horses.

I have been using a moisturizing cream on his entire hoof and coronary band after cleaning the area. He has really healed up the last two days. The area is not red or irritated. There is a slight hoof "wrinkle" from the trauma, but nothing too bad. I let Blaine know what happened. He told me to keep an eye on it and not to worry so much.

Last edited by jen21 : 03-28-2008 at 12:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-31-2008, 11:56 AM  
Yearling Member

Glad it's doing better..... no offense taken on the antibiotics issue. You are correct. I shouldn't have just tossed the antibiotics/cut line out there without qualifying it. For me, a 'cut' means something worthy of sewing up - so it's not just any old thing. In my experience, I end up putting a horse on antibiotics maybe once every 2-3 years if even that. They must be used carefully and sparingly.

Glad all is turning out well.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:00 PM  
yogilover11

put a treatment on it then wrap it up in vet wrap and take your horse to the vet.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:21 PM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogilover11 View Post
put a treatment on it then wrap it up in vet wrap and take your horse to the vet.
Calm down Yogi, you're about several weeks late

Last edited by leadmare : 05-16-2008 at 10:26 PM. Reason: cause I can't count

Closed Thread

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Hoof Talk