Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Hoof Talk
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2007, 04:35 PM  
Halter broke

Wall separating from hoof.

Please tell me its just cruddy hoof wall disposing of itself...the crack on the toe makes me believe this, and her other cracks have chipped and are gone now....
ArchDandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:42 PM  
Kid Safe

When was the farrier out last? That hoof looks very tall to me... Just asking because the farrier should have a good idea what's going on, and I think you're right to be concerned.

ETA: What breed of horse is that foot attached to? lol. Just wondering if it was a Saddlebred, TWH or something...

Last edited by AlbertaGirl : 07-11-2007 at 04:49 PM.
AlbertaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:50 PM  
Weanling Member

It looks like she has white line disease to me. You'll need to get your farrier out & he should be able to treat it.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:55 PM  
Halter broke

The hoof isnt as long as it looks in the pic...heres a sideways look at her hind feet.

The farrier was last out about 3 weeks ago, he pulled her shoes and evened out her feet, said she had nice feet and could go barefoot, shes a 3 year old thoroughbred off the track. This has happened since I got her about a month ago.

Edited to add: these were taken with a cell phone, the length was very much distorted. And I would like to add that she isnt lame at all, if that provides any other needed information.

Last edited by ArchDandy : 07-11-2007 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:56 PM  
Kid Safe

Yeah, farrier needs to come.

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:06 PM  
Kid Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchDandy View Post
The hoof isnt as long as it looks in the pic...heres a sideways look at her hind feet.
That thought crossed my mind too, that it was just a funny angle. Good to hear!

Well, I must agree with everyone else that the farrier needs to come back and take a look. Maybe do a touch up trim or something to try to keep it in check.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:09 PM  
Weanling Member

I would be intersted to know if my diagnosis is correct

By the way, can't remember who posted it but why did you think it was TWH or Saddlebred feet?
Old 07-11-2007, 05:10 PM  
Halter broke

My farrier is on vacation...Ill need to call another one. I read about the conditions that sometimes cause it
wet conditions...we live in the desert....sometimes shoes...shes barefoot, long toe....her feet were actually quite short because she was freshly shod when we had her racing plates pulled...they have only just now started to grow to normal...guess its just my luck. I find the most wonderful filly in the world, but we all have our faults.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:13 PM  
Kid Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bev45 View Post
By the way, can't remember who posted it but why did you think it was TWH or Saddlebred feet?
Just how they grow them longer than normal for show purposes. I used to work at a show barn with some Saddlebreds, and their feet would be grown out long to accentuate their movement, as well as heavy shoes. The one photo reminded me of those hooves. They didn't look like really neglected hooves, so thought I'd ask that.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:17 PM  
Kid Safe

Since the hoof wall is separated from the white line, gook gets up in there and causes infection. Plus, that hoof that's separated is basically dead. The farrier may need to cut it away so the new hoof growing down will remain attached.

It's a pretty serious issue.

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

Old 07-11-2007, 05:20 PM  
Halter broke

Shes in a deep sand pen...and I look at her feet daily and hardly ever need to pick them out cause they always look like they do in that picture...spic and span, I clean out anything that gets in her feet, is there anything else I should do to prevent infection? Ive been giving her Nuhoof, and her feet have dramatically gotten better, you should have seen that same hoof a month ago...hopefully she grows this out quick and can be ok....*bites nails* Ive got a 3 year old mutt with hip dysplasia...dont need my 3 year old horse having serious issues as well.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:27 PM  
Weanling Member

I don't know about the saddlebreds but the TWH padded people do leave the toes long & put pads on them. Mine are all barefoot that's how I like them....If she was my mare I'd put some iodine, peroxide or something in there that kills bacteria & then pack it with cotton or something to keep dirt out. If it is white line disease it's caused by bacteria eating away at the hoof wall & she looks like hers is getting pretty serious. Do a search on white line disease or seedy toe & see if it sounds like what she has & if it gives you any ideas of what you can do for it
Old 07-11-2007, 05:31 PM  
Halter broke

Ill bring some peroxide from the house and clean it up...how can I keep cotton in her foot though? Ill also call the farrier I have in mind today, and will let you know when he can come out to see her.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:19 AM  
Kid Safe

I was thinking white line as well. It causes the hoof wall to separate.

Also, I remember reading something once about sand cracks. They can cause problems as well. If possible use an antifungal and stuff it up in there.

Let us know
dreamcleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:00 AM  
Halter broke

called a farrier, havent had any luck actually getting on the phone with him though, messages being left back and forth between us both, which is annoying because I want someone to see her immediately, everyone at the barn including the owner (who raised and trained racehorses) says I should keep an eye on it, but shouldnt worry. Even though shes not lame at all Im still worried. I hope to get that farrier out here asap!
Old 07-14-2007, 02:31 PM  
Yearling Member

I don't think its as bad as it seems. Keep it clean and packed so that debris doesn't get up in between to prevent any abcesses. Get your farrier to come out.
Luvpaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:03 AM  
Weanling Member

Post Looks like White Line.

My TB has the same thing. It has been diagnosed by a vet, and two farriers. Everyone tells me something different to use to treat it.

I have used: 7% Tinture Iodine, Lysol Concentrate, Bleach, White Vinegar, and White Lightening.

The bleach seems to work the best in my case. Just put it into a spray bottle and spray it on. Make sure to get it clear down in the hoof wall, and any cracks that she may have. Also, BE CAREFUL that the Bleach does not run down and hit the Coronet band, it will probably burn. My farrier said that it could blister the skin, but not to worry if it does!!! I WORRY TOO MUCH, and I would not want to blister my baby, so I am VERY careful!

I tried the Iodine for a month or so, and it just made the frog really soft on my guy. That is why I switched to Bleach.

Good luck, and make sure you treat it everyday.
dustyangel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:23 AM  
Kid Safe

Anything from the farrier?

My farrier looked at the pictures and said it looks more like she's landing hard on her toe, causing a lot of bruising and damage. All that red? Bruising.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:25 AM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Range View Post

My farrier looked at the pictures and said it looks more like she's landing hard on her toe, causing a lot of bruising and damage. All that red? Bruising.
I agree Range. That was my first thought when I saw the foot.

I was wondering what the other feet look like. There is a lot of bruising in this one and it may also be present in the other feet. This one may be just drawing attention because the horn is pulled away.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:35 AM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Range View Post

That was what I was about to reply to her.

It does indeed look like she might be spending too much time on her toes and her toes may be a titch long. usually if you don't have a good barefoot farrier who rolls/rasps a curve for their breakover, then this can happen. When the horse breaks over it puts pressure on the wall pushing it away from the sole.

Definately needs a farrier to help it start to grow properly, but I don't think it's white line or anything....Some horses left without farrier care on dry ground will pull away from the white line and chip off, keeping the foot looking "decent".

Some of the natural farriers call the breakover "bevel" a "mustang roll"....whatever you call it, it usually helps the horse break over better, and it puts pressure in towards the hoof rather than away, creating a better bond as the hoof grows out...

They do look like they need a trim but if she just got her shoes off three weeks ago this could be the cause, sometimes shoes hide a lot of separation, depending on your farrier and how good/bad he is....Also I have two farriers one for my mares and barefoot horses, he does a nice job, and one for my show horses...If I ask my show horse guy to pull shoes the feet don't look as nice as long as the guy who does a lot of trims.....

PS, Saddlebreds and TWHs grow out their hooves with their shoes ON...barefoot they are the same as any other horse....It takes a shoe to protect that length of hoof....sometimes they are a tich longerbarefoot, but that's when compared to 2.5 to 3" hooves that some WP show horses keep...

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Hoof Talk