Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Hoof Talk
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2006, 05:39 PM  
Yearling Member

how to make shrinking frogs grow??

for some reason my geldings frogs are shrinking??? my farrier was just out and said I should try something called "reducine" (sp) it should increase the blood flow and circulation to the frog. it gets applied directly to the frog. He said the frog shrinking will cause his hoof to change, become square? I never heard of it nor have I had any problems with my horses feet, until now.Does anyone have any issues like this? what are you using to treat it? I'm concerned because he has some arthritis and I don't want hoof changes to cause him lameness issues.
FYI my gelding is 20 year old QH, he is on corta-flex supplements with his meals and is fed senior equine, currently his turnout is mostly dirt/sand. thanks for your help!

May you always be true to your best friend, today, tomorrow and always ....
KrisRN2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 11:30 PM  
Halter broke

Hi,

If this is the case, his feet are contracting, squashing the frog. Have you had this horse a long time? Has he had this farrier a long time? I'm wondering if his feet have changed noticibly to you or the farrier? Recently?

Treating the frog itself will not help, as the changes need to be made to the whole foot, the whole horse. This can be due to a number of problems, such as high heels, shoes, insufficient hoofcare, toe first landings, insufficient exercise on firm ground, etc. The horse needs a *balanced* regular trim & possibly a change in management practices to start the recovery of his feet. Every hoof is different however & while some are, or can become broad, open & flat accross the heel & frog with proper care, some horses will always have slightly 'contracted' looking feet & slightly higher heels. In domestic horses, this is largely governed by the type of care they had as youngsters, while the foot was still developing. Therefore hooves should not be forced to decontract using invasive trimming. Take a look at www.barefoothorse.com & www.hoofrehab.com for some more info.
wundahoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 04:38 PM  
Yearling Member

thank you for the info. I'm not sure what's going on. I have owned my gelding for 3years, he has been on a dirt turnout all along, his diet is senior equine and he is fed only 2nd or 3rd cutting orchard grass hay he gets corta flex supplements with both feedings. We changed farriers because he was trimming them uneven one heel was higher than the other then he trimmed one to short and I had to wait for it to grow out to match the other. I switched to a new farrier 6 months ago and he has been correcting their feet.
Could it be the weather? we have had a ton of rain! I am picking their feet daily just to keep the clean and free from the moisture. I'll check the websites you forwarded me thanks again!

May you always be true to your best friend, today, tomorrow and always ....
KrisRN2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 07:47 PM  
Halter broke

The weather/soft footing could be contributing, but the problem most likely stems from incorrect trimming impeding hoof function.

Correct trimming should rectify this, or at least, in worst case scenario, prevent it from worsening. If the problem has been getting worse in the last 6 months since this new farrier, assuming he's been trimming your horse regularly in that time(6 week maximum), I'd suspect that he isn't quite as good as you may have thought he was.

I'd learn all you can(those websites will give you a good start) and discuss the principles with your farrier before you decide to brush him off tho, as the above is only educated supposition on my part, based on little knowledge of your personal situation. If you would like further advice specific to your horse's feet, post some pix. You are also welcome to send hoof pix to me at <snip---email address removed---please use the private message feature for personal contacts> if you want - just make sure there's a relevant subject line.
wundahoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 10:54 PM  
Started

Send a message via MSN to sugarsgal
Is it just possible that he is just shedding his frogs?

My mare is doing the same thing. It almost looks as if the frogs are shrinking and they actually look kind of gross. Even the grooves have widened and the depth is not normal.

I have a GREAT farrier and Sugar is on excellent quality hay and excellent vitamine/mineral suppliment, and biotin.

This actually happened last year with Sugar and within a month or 2 her frogs looked normal after half of the frog was gone.

Another horse actually shed the whole frog on both rear hooves and came back normal withing a month.

The vet and farrier both said that this was normal. Some horse shed more than others, some shed the whole frog while others shed half.

Just a suggestion

There is no such thing as an Ignorant horse, there are only Ignorant people!
sugarsgal is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Hoof Talk