Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Hoof Talk
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2006, 02:10 PM  
Halter broke

Bleach?!

A woman that I know is currently treating her horses thrush with pure bleach....I have NO idea if this is a good thing or not, but the horse seems to be fine with it..?? When I first saw her just pouring bleach out of a bottle onto her horses foot, I was like, "NANCY, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" She replyed was "Timmy Kriz said itll help Hueys thrush!" _timmy kriz is her farrier_

So I have no idea of what to think of it. Has any one ever heard of this before?
Old 11-29-2006, 02:14 PM  
Started

Yes, my farrier has me do it also. However some will tell you to dilute with water. But I will say it works alot better than the store bought remedies.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:16 PM  
Pasture Pet

Yup, and a 1/2 bleach and water mix is great for thrush used daily - also a 1/3 bleach and water spray will cure rain rot - but it can only be used once on rain rot - but be careful, if you have a sorrel you may have a bleached blond (Just kidding)...

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:05 PM  
Bombproof Member

I would make sure to dilute it with water. Bleach is especially caustic to healthy tissue, even though it does do well to kill the thrush. I would hate to damage healthy tissue trying to get rid of the bad.

I can find it just fine on my own.....
divinemisselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:30 PM  
Kid Safe

thrush

My Farrier Man will tell you NOT to use bleach or a bleach solution. It's caustic and will harm healthy tissue. However, he will say that if you don't want to purchase a thrush remedy, to spray some Lysol on the affected area for three days. No more thrush. Would you soak your hands in bleach or a bleach solution? That's a quote from another member...

To each his own, though.

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:46 PM  
Coming two

A bleach solution, hydrogen peroxide, betadine... anything like that will clear up thrush. I think bleach is used soley because it works fast! I prefer a sugar-dine solution.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:09 PM  
Kid Safe

My riding instructor uses a bleach solution - one part Clorox to three parts water for rain rot. Pick off the scabbies and spray liberally on the infected areas. Reapeat every three days until rain rot stops making new scabbies.

I don't see a problem putting bleach on a hoof as long as the thrush isn't too deep - but you'd have to be really carefull not to get it on the horse's skin or it could cause burns.

I know one of the ways that thrush is treated when the horse refuses to let it't feet be messed with is to get a broad pan and put a mixture of plain unscented clay kitty litter and bleach in it and get the horse to step in the bleach mud.

taelesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:19 AM  
Yearling Member

Send a message via AIM to my_gypsygirl
I was having a real hard time getting rid of Jose's thrush, tried all the thrush remedies, and not one worked, i used 1/2 bleach 1/2 water, every day for a week, and it totally went away, now i use thrush buster all the time to keep it at bay.
my_gypsygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:27 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Try 1/2 bleach and 1/2 listerine. It works great!

Of course, if things are REAL bad, formaldehyde is the big gun!

"I'll keep my guns, my religion, and my money - you can keep the change."
Seanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 09:03 PM  
Long Yearling

My husband was told that 1/2 bleach 1/2 water by the farrier he apprenticed with and also at horseshoeing school but personally I didnt think it worked that well I think thrushbuster is the best.
ilovepaints1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 07:57 AM  
Yearling Member

Would you soak athletes feet in bleach?
NOPE

Wouldnt do it to a horse either.

Have you ever seen a gelding better built and more talented then your stud? Then he needs to be a gelding to!
Hola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 04:33 PM  
Kid Safe

We use bleach for a number of things including Thrush on the horses and goats. It also worked well when we had lambs sometimes if the weather was wet and warm they would get (this is gross) wool maggots. We would take the lamb and set it down right in a bleach/water mix. The maggots die the lamb doesn't worked great. Also, when my Dad was in the burn unit he was given bleach baths to soak in before they debreeded him. He said it was really quite soothing even though I was sure it hurt terrible...he said not nearly as bad as the burn it'self.

Also works great on Ring Worm. We spray the cattle with bleach and when on of our sons got it nothing over the counter worked. We used straight bleach. I put it on a cotten swab so it didn't drip and rubbed each spot, it cleared up almost over nite!

Karen Cole
Karen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 06:52 PM  
Started

When we move horses to isolation from the regular wards (usually due to diarhea), we scrub the bottom of their hooves with 10% bleach solution to avoid spreading the germs through the wards.

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot the tourists?
Horse_Orderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 05:55 PM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
NOPE
I have and would again. Bleach is hydrochloric acid...except MUCH weaker than the concentration in your stomach. Pretty much kills anything though.

Also, many people use bleach solutions in laundry and on floors...some use gloves, but others don't.

I don't know about thrush...but it sounds like it is a fungus? A lot of fungi have become resistant to over the counter stuff...often as wrestlers we had to get prescription strength products or resort to bleach to make ringworm go away in time for the next tourney. Here's what our team discovered: bleach does not target the fungi as effectively as prescription strength anti-fungals.

Bleach just pretty much just makes the area undesirable for fungus to live in. It can deeply burn healthy tissue, but not usually very quickly at household concentrations. Do a patch test though so you can determine if you (or an animal) is sensitive to it...I would dilute it too. I also would do the application, let it sit for a few minutes then flush with water. Leaving it on there is not really going to kill more fungi, just damage healthy tissue. Re-application later is the key to destroying the life cycle.

If you have the funds though, I'd go with the medication...like our team discovered, it burns less and works better.
Perrys_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 05:57 PM  
Yearling Member

Oh, and as an aside,

If you're a wrestler and you have ringworm, DON'T GO ON THE MAT!!

Our ENTIRE TEAM caught it from one tournament. STAY HOME!
Old 12-07-2006, 06:08 PM  
Coming two

I have heard of people do it before and seen it also. I'm assuming its cheap and effective. But personally I don't feel comfortable using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbarmranch
but be careful, if you have a sorrel you may have a bleached blond (Just kidding)...
A friend of mine knows someone who had a dark colored horse. Well she must've bleached her girth cover and didn't rinse it out well enough and now the horse has a permenant white "girth" on.

Jena <3
babycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 06:37 PM  
Yearling Member

Hee...I have too many bleach stories...

A friend worked at a chemical plant, they used peroxide to keep algae down in their cooling ponds. A beaver decided to make its home in one of the ponds....the plant was happy...proved the water was quite clean. The beaver happened to swim by one of the peroxide outlets as they were injecting...it turned half blond! IT was fine, by winter the blond had grown out. Funny though.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:41 AM  
Nikknock

New to this forum...but wanted to pass this on. From much experience and good old-fashion horse medicane from numerous vets & farriers: 1/3 bleach & 2/3 water in a spray bottle. When you have a thrush outbreak clean the hoof as well as you can and then spray on the mixture till frog is really soaked then scrub with a tooth brush to get as much of the black yucky stuff out. Let soak in about 5 mins and then rinse out with a hose and try, (note I say try cuz' horses do have their own minds as we all know) to keep the foot clean and dry. As for rain rot, everybody is different, but bleach is bleach and I know what it does to black horses...they get blonde freckles and a lot of laughter for awhile. Listerine is the best stuff that I've ever used. Works better than any store bought stuff I've ever tried.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:51 AM  
Yearling Member

I stick with good ole fashion thrustbuster or koppertox , both of which are easier regulate doses then bleach.

Have you ever seen a gelding better built and more talented then your stud? Then he needs to be a gelding to!
Hola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:23 AM  
Kid Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrys_mama
Quote:
NOPE
I have and would again. Bleach is hydrochloric acid...except MUCH weaker than the concentration in your stomach. Pretty much kills anything though.
Bleach is NOT hydrochloric acid. In fact, it is not an acid at all, but just the opposite - a fairly strong base with a pH range of 11 - 12, which is why it is caustic.

The action of bleach, as it pertains to thrush, is not really anything more than a disinfectant. It has no "curative" properties other than that. Chlorine in diluted form is a very proven and effective disinfectant, however, care should always be exercised as to its concentration.

Although it works, I would use a less risky disinfectant myself - a safe prepared compound like Thrushbuster, or even Lysol as range mentioned. Why mess with something that is going to be ineffective if not concentrated enough, yet dangerous if too concentrated?
Faceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Hoof Talk