Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Hoof Talk
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2006, 03:10 PM  
Halter broke

chalky hooves

When I cleaned teddy's hooves last night he had small patches (about 1/4 of an inch) on the sole that crumbled away. The area underneath looked kind of chalky. I scraped this of with my pick until I got to solid sole, but there was still some residue. Both front feet were like this, the backs were fine.
I don't know if it was sensitive or he thought I was taking to long but he was definitly ready to have me put down his foot.
There was no odor. We have had a lot of rain in the last week, but he gets his feet cleaned daily.
teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 04:13 PM  
Long Yearling

Springtime + wet weather = sole and frog shedding season

It's all good, and just keep scraping the loose stuff when you pick. You may also find that hooves need to be trimmed a little more often this time of the year too
Old 05-02-2006, 08:03 PM  
Halter broke

Thank you

When I picked his hoof tonight a bunch more came off, but when I was done it looked like a whole new sole.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:40 PM  
Halter broke

This could be the beginnings of white line disease, which is a fungal infection that can be more common when it's wet and damp. Might be worth having your vet or farrier check it out. White-line is totally curable, but is somewhat of a pain(daily soakings, must keep feet totall dry when not soaking, has to grow out etc)
kimball1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:57 AM  
Halter broke

And I just stopped worrying. Thanks Kimball1.

My wife says I worry more about teddy than I did about our kids. I tell her there isn't a kidtopia, and teddy is one of the family.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:21 AM  
Bombproof Member

If you found healthy sole under the stuff you scraped off - I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like spring shedding to me!

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:14 PM  
Long Yearling

Teddy,

Don't think you really have anything to worry about. From your discription, I gathered that the entire sole is/was chalky, correct? There is nice hard sort of shiny sole after you scrape the loose stuff out, correct? There is no foul odor or slimy goo, correct? If these statements are true, then, I believe you're horse is just doing what's healthy and will happen at least twice a year, if not more depending on the environmental conditions

Shedding is more noticable after dry conditions become wet in the spring. During dry conditions, the hoof will lose moisture and thus contract somewhat, and retain extra sole. As conditions change and get wetter, the moisture returns to the hoof. This causes the expansion (Sponge like effect) of the hoof and the sole no longer needed (or is stuck) will then shed.

Frogs also shed. Sometimes, it even looks as if the whole frog is coming off Most of the time the frog sheds in pieces and goes fairly unnoticed, because your farrier will trim it when the hooves are trimmed.

White line on the other hand, affects the "White line" of the hoof. It would start on the edge of the sole and work its way up between the sole and the wall. This will cause the wall to seperate from the sole. A whole different ball game then.

Hope this helps
Old 05-03-2006, 06:38 PM  
Started

I think what you're describing is normal, but as leadmare says if you're looking at white line it is a whole different deal. I know from personal experience what a disaster that can be. Just have your farrier check it. But. if it's on the sole rather than the white line you're probably okay. Good Luck
Mule Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 06:45 PM  
Bombproof Member

I agree with Leadmare, and she is our resident farrier expert, having been a practicing professional farrier for a good many years. I definitely respect her opinion! *bows out because I am not worthy!*

I can find it just fine on my own.....
divinemisselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 06:57 PM  
Newborn Member

hey, this was convenient! My pony's hooves started doing this the other day. I started freaking out because, like leadmare said, a big chunk of the frog came off . It is very good to know that this is normal, because I had never seen it before.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:30 AM  
Halter broke

Yes the chalky stuff was in various places around the sole. I spent a lot of time scraping last night, and all of it came off. His hooves look very good now, so I think it was normal shedding. His frog is shedding as well.

kind of funny that even "normal" looks wierd the first time you see it.

The Vet is coming on Monday to geld him. He was supposed to come a two weeks ago, but cancelled, so he can take a look at it then.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:34 AM  
Newborn Member

I'm so glad I came across this, because I was worried sick about my mare's feet doing the same thing. Exact same situation: it's only her front hooves, no odour or any sign of infection etc.. and the chalky chunks coming off when I picked them out.
XCGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:51 AM  
Weanling Member

That white, chalky material is un-exfoliated sole tissue and in no way represents white line disease. White line disease is an anaerobic microbial intrusion of the hoof capsule that occurs between the wall and the interdigital laminae.

You can safely remove excess, un-exfoliated sole material by scraping with a hoof pick. I find a wire brush to be more effective. When cleaning, be twice as aggressive as you think you need to be. Routine removal of this material will prevent excessive buildup, reduce sole pressure and assist in the prevention of fungal intrusion of soft tissues (e.g thrush).

If, after removal of this excess, chalky material, you find that the live sole tissues feel particularly soft, you can treat occasionally with Durasole to toughen the sole and provide your horse with additional protection from rough terrain.

It is a harmless and completely painless procedure that should be part of routine hoof care.

Cheers,
Mark
Mark_Gough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:16 PM  
Weanling Member

As some others have said, I'm glad to come across this thread too!!! The same thing is going on over here Its been an unusually wet spring so thats probably why I've never noticed it until this year.

However, this horse had a pocket of powdery sugary stuff in between her sole and hoof wall A hoof-trimming friend came over and said it was thrush and removed all the icky parts . . . perhaps a farrier appt is in order
Old 06-23-2010, 05:05 PM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberrygirl View Post
As some others have said, I'm glad to come across this thread too!!! The same thing is going on over here Its been an unusually wet spring so thats probably why I've never noticed it until this year.

However, this horse had a pocket of powdery sugary stuff in between her sole and hoof wall A hoof-trimming friend came over and said it was thrush and removed all the icky parts . . . perhaps a farrier appt is in order

Thrush isn't "powdery sugary stuff". It's usually black, greasy to oily in texture and smells like a teenagers gym shoes in August. Typically occurs in the central sulci of the frog and softer solar tissues in the back half of the foot.

Scrub the foot with a wire brush, paint on any mild anti-microbial agent (betadine, durasole, whatever), enjoy your horse and relax.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 06-23-2010, 07:36 PM  
Halter broke

Where to buy Durasole online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Gough View Post
If, after removal of this excess, chalky material, you find that the live sole tissues feel particularly soft, you can treat occasionally with Durasole to toughen the sole and provide your horse with additional protection from rough terrain.
Anyone know a reputable seller of Durasole? No one local to me carries it, and I didn't recognize any of the online places I saw when I googled...
Marjael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:46 PM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjael View Post
Anyone know a reputable seller of Durasole? No one local to me carries it, and I didn't recognize any of the online places I saw when I googled...

www.durasole.com

Cheers,
Mark
Old 06-25-2010, 05:45 PM  
Yearling Member

I found some white stuff when helping a four-year-old pick out her ponies hooves....I thought I broke the pony somehow since I'd never seen that before. I'm relieved that it sounds like what I saw was normal....
Leli is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Hoof Talk

« Help! | Farrier »