Horsetopia Forum

Horsetopia Forum (http://forum.horsetopia.com/index.php)
-   Hoof Talk (http://forum.horsetopia.com/hoof-talk-45/)
-   -   What works best to treat thrush? (http://forum.horsetopia.com/hoof-talk/133462-what-works-best-treat-thrush.html)

secondhandranch 04-24-2011 08:58 PM

i like the purple stuff (thrush buster ) the best for a hard core case. but lysterine for regular use as is kills 99.9% germs w/out killing ealthy live tissue as some of the chemical solutions can. put is in a spray bottle or a squirt bottle.

Barnbum0127 04-27-2011 08:11 AM

Thrush Buster...from experience it works 10xs better than any other product or any other hydrogen proxide and antibacterial mixes, all my vets carry it or recomend it

silvershoe391 04-28-2011 03:40 PM

Rain maker

I have rain maker that I use everytime I go out to the barn it keeps my lease horses feet in great contition and lasts forever! It helps keep hoofs happy and healthy I don't have problems with thrush either! I would recomend this product do anyone :)

Lady_MCSE 04-28-2011 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvershoe391 (Post 1941859)
I have rain maker that I use everytime I go out to the barn it keeps my lease horses feet in great contition and lasts forever! It helps keep hoofs happy and healthy I don't have problems with thrush either! I would recomend this product do anyone :)

Rain Maker is not a product to combat thrush. I just visited the product's site, and I guess they are saying now to work it into the soles and frogs of the feet, which is something new to me - last I used it was 20 years ago and it was for the walls only.

Anyhoo, Neatsfoot Oil, White Petrolatum, Pine Tar, Lanolin, Aloe Vera Oil, Glycerine, and Hydrolized Animal Protein aren't going to do anything to kill the germs and fungi that set in, causing a "thrush" condition.

Between the time I first posted and now, I've discovered a pretty hefty case of thrush on my own boy, and got a farrier involved because it was so bad. I've now switched to Life Data Labs hoof disinfectant, and am giving that a try. Too early to tell any results yet.

Trinity 04-28-2011 09:51 PM

I also love Thrushbuster. I do not find it to be too caustic at all actually and it works better than anything I have ever tried. I have gotten it on my skin and into my own cuts and besides sting just a tad, it never hurt anything. Probably healed up some of my ragged cuticles LOL...

You can use about anything on superficial thrush, but deep seated thrush that is invading the frog deeply needs something strong yet not TOO strong that treats over time. TB fits the bill everytime I have used it. On this sevier type of thrush I use it every day to every couple days, not once a week which I find is not near enough for bad cases.

SoundHoof 04-30-2011 09:56 AM

I used to use a product called Thrush X back in the day. It was a dark green liquid and worked best when applied on concrete or another hard clean surface.
Of course the best remedy is keeping your horse out of wet, soggy areas, going for a ride every day, every other day or so. Keep those hooves working, conditioned and dry, the thrush will dissipate.

Good luck!

DakotaMissyBlue 04-30-2011 10:44 AM

Do NOT use those harmful chemicals-

Being interested in equine studies, and having had horses for 15 or more years, I was interested in horse lamenesses and when I got in to college (which am currently in- to become a vet hopefully!) I took a class called "Equine Lameness" with a Dr. Wilson DVM.

He is a well known, well educated vet in equine lamenesses and such. We covered many topics of lameness including those caused by bacteria and sloppy fields and conditions. In his 40+ years of practice he instructed us upon the issue of lamenesses from Thrush, and how to treat and prevent this fungal-tissue affecting bacteria.

The FIRST thing he instructed us to so is to thoroughly clean (pick, brush-(scrubbing all the black gunk out) and wash) and dry the hoof- and all of the crevices (grooves of the frog), hold foot for a few minutes to allow to thoroughly DRY in the grooves.

NEXT get some apple cider vinegar and a syringe with a slim-longish tip (or even small gauge needle??) (careful to NOT puncture or pierce the hoof, just want to get down deep into the grooves of the hoof) and saturate the grooves of the frogs with the vinegar- again holding the foot high to hold the vinegar next to the tissue. Hold as long as you can to allow deep penetration into the tissues to kill the bacteria.

LAST, you should try to treat this daily for up to 2 weeks (he said one week would also work if limited on time and budget), try to pick, scrub the gunk out and clean the affected feet 2x/day for this period- apply the vinegar 1x/day, if feet get dried out (or to prevent drying) apply a hoof conditioner to the coronary band and outer hoof.

He also told each of us that the products on the market DESTROY the GOOD and BAD tissues :eek:, and doesn't give the new tissues a chance to grow back and thrive they way they should.:shock:

If you don't have access to the vinegar, then digging the gunk out and scrubbing it with your hoof brush will work too, just will take longer. He stated the bacteria is killed when air is allowed to get in with it, but the vinegar will speed this process up WITHOUT killing the new tissues.

Good luck! :)

Equine love 05-08-2011 11:34 PM

I love "Thrush off" by Well Horse! But the store was out when I was in to get more (bought the bottle last summer). So I got a new one made by "Fiskeys" (sp?). It seems to be working but I'm sure going through it fast compared to my fav.

jslone 05-09-2011 01:00 PM

I bought a horse with chronic thrush he keeps it! The vet said he ad the bacteria that is not killed by regular treatments and after using his treament (to no avail) and using thrush buster I ordered Nu foot the vet formula from jeffers and this has kept his thrush free if I forget to order and he misses a few days then up it pops and he gets bad enough to show up lame.

Killjoy 05-09-2011 07:44 PM

In the winter, my gelding has a bad case of it. We treated him with Thrush buster (in the little purple bottle) and bleach water/collidial(sp) silver/vinegar and it cured it right up!

TBxQH 05-10-2011 06:15 AM

I've also heard of a home remedy using Lysol..

susanspice 05-10-2011 06:22 AM

I have never heard of Apple Cider vingegar but will sure try it. I got turned off years ago by the "green stuff" yuk. It is funny, 25 years ago, my aged gelding had a bad case of it after my child was born. My farrier packed his hooves with pine tar and something else, ( oakum)? put pads and shoes on him. Things have changed since then I would say. Now I use bleach water, it works, you just have to be careful to get it only on the thrushy parts, not the healthy. Susan

Equine love 05-10-2011 09:47 PM

I have found that ACV works wonders on keeping it at bay once you have it under control. Haven't had any success in using it to kill thrush....

Chasemb 05-18-2011 07:08 AM

Kopper Kare and Koppertox work excelent, they are a spay on.

BareHoofguy 05-18-2011 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DakotaMissyBlue (Post 1942384)
Being interested in equine studies, and having had horses for 15 or more years, I was interested in horse lamenesses and when I got in to college (which am currently in- to become a vet hopefully!) I took a class called "Equine Lameness" with a Dr. Wilson DVM.

He is a well known, well educated vet in equine lamenesses and such. We covered many topics of lameness including those caused by bacteria and sloppy fields and conditions. In his 40+ years of practice he instructed us upon the issue of lamenesses from Thrush, and how to treat and prevent this fungal-tissue affecting bacteria.

The FIRST thing he instructed us to so is to thoroughly clean (pick, brush-(scrubbing all the black gunk out) and wash) and dry the hoof- and all of the crevices (grooves of the frog), hold foot for a few minutes to allow to thoroughly DRY in the grooves.

NEXT get some apple cider vinegar and a syringe with a slim-longish tip (or even small gauge needle??) (careful to NOT puncture or pierce the hoof, just want to get down deep into the grooves of the hoof) and saturate the grooves of the frogs with the vinegar- again holding the foot high to hold the vinegar next to the tissue. Hold as long as you can to allow deep penetration into the tissues to kill the bacteria.

LAST, you should try to treat this daily for up to 2 weeks (he said one week would also work if limited on time and budget), try to pick, scrub the gunk out and clean the affected feet 2x/day for this period- apply the vinegar 1x/day, if feet get dried out (or to prevent drying) apply a hoof conditioner to the coronary band and outer hoof.

He also told each of us that the products on the market DESTROY the GOOD and BAD tissues :eek:, and doesn't give the new tissues a chance to grow back and thrive they way they should.:shock:

If you don't have access to the vinegar, then digging the gunk out and scrubbing it with your hoof brush will work too, just will take longer. He stated the bacteria is killed when air is allowed to get in with it, but the vinegar will speed this process up WITHOUT killing the new tissues.

Good luck! :)

that is great
we do the same

however it does require more work and time this way
for most of the horses i work with ... KopperCare works well
the dead and rotten tissue should be removed with a knife etc. as well carefully of course (with help from a hoof care pro if needed)

that stuff will stain anything it even looks at haha
it finds its way all over the place. very sneaky sneaky stuff haha

http://www.well-horse.com/
i would like to try this stuff next... but i haven't as of yet and don't know anyone personally who has.

Equine love 05-19-2011 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BareHoofguy (Post 1948015)
that is great
we do the same

however it does require more work and time this way
for most of the horses i work with ... KopperCare works well
the dead and rotten tissue should be removed with a knife etc. as well carefully of course (with help from a hoof care pro if needed)

that stuff will stain anything it even looks at haha
it finds its way all over the place. very sneaky sneaky stuff haha

http://www.well-horse.com/
i would like to try this stuff next... but i haven't as of yet and don't know anyone personally who has.

I use "Thrush Off" by Well-horse and am very impressed with it.

BareHoofguy 05-19-2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Equine love (Post 1948177)
I use "Thrush Off" by Well-horse and am very impressed with it.

that is great thanks for the info

does it stain everything it comes in contact with for the nest 3 months... ?

jazzymonster 05-19-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzymonster (Post 1936690)
I hate most thrush products on the market because of smells, staining, and stinging abilities. I really think I'm allergic to whatever is in kopertox or in like products because it makes me physically nauseous and dizzy. I was at Equine Affair and talked with this vendor for quite some time. it's a DRY thrush treatment...I just started it so I can't say much yet on its abilities, but it seems to have good reviews so far....

http://www.nothrushshop.com/index.html

I've been using this stuff for a few weeks now....and 2 words. LOVE IT. my farrier was out and commented on the bottle when he spotted it. he is actually thinking of bringing the product in and selling it because he had heard such good thing. my paint mare is terrible, tried everything to combat thrush in just about all 4 feet. couple weeks of this stuff and her feet look 97% better! :D

susanspice 05-20-2011 01:01 AM

I am going to get some of it. the "thrush off" Thank you.
If you treat them with it and they go right back out into the rain and mud, is it still effective?

Mark_Gough 05-20-2011 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanspice (Post 1948453)
... If you treat them with it and they go right back out into the rain and mud, is it still effective?

Susan, this is a great question! Let's expand on the topic a bit.

I'm often asked by customers, "why clean out a horses foot (or treat with an antimicrobial) if the horse is just going to put his foot right back in the mud and filth?".

Bonus points to anyone who knows the answer! ;)

Cheers,
Mark