Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Hoof Talk
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2011, 12:39 PM  
Halter broke

Shoes in the snow

ok so Alberta is great........ There is so much snow and it is still snowing.....I Would like to put fronts on in just about a month is that ok? Would she slide around to much even if i got pads on too?? What are your thoughts and stories?

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2011, 12:49 PM  
Coming two

We put fronts on a mare because someone wanted to start riding her. It has little grippers on the bottom..

|Here's a link I found:\http://www.horsekeeping.com/hoof_car...nter_shoes.htm
Old 03-06-2011, 02:53 PM  
Pasture Pet

If you are worried about the snow, get snow rim pads. Do not get the ones with the bubble in the middle.

If you are worried about ice/grip, get borium cleats put on the heels of the showe.

The two horses at my barn that wear shows, have both the pads and the borium. Works very well.

The shoes and pads should last for more than one use, so keep them around for next winter/spring once your farrier removes them.

Karen
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:08 PM  
Newborn Member

also try cooking spray like pam. so snow does not ball up under the shoes. just a quick spray in the morning before turnout will help greatly with that.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:12 PM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquineAlberta View Post
If you are worried about the snow, get snow rim pads. Do not get the ones with the bubble in the middle.

If you are worried about ice/grip, get borium cleats put on the heels of the showe.

The two horses at my barn that wear shows, have both the pads and the borium. Works very well.

The shoes and pads should last for more than one use, so keep them around for next winter/spring once your farrier removes them.

Karen
Be careful with the borium... some farriers just throw it on.. it needs to be symmectrical or it effects your horse foot. same size, same place on both fronts.. we found that out the hard way,, after a sore horse..
Old 04-05-2011, 08:58 PM  
Kid Safe

Instead of Pam, use RainX - but be very careful to get it only on the steel shoe, and not on the hoof. It won't actively harm the hoof, but will seal the horn against mointure, either in or out. If you do get a significant amount on the hoof, rubbing alcohol will remove it almost instantly.

Pam or Vaseline will only last a few hours, and won't last even that if there is any mud to found, while the RainX will usually last for several days.

taelesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:47 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via AIM to Smilie
I find winter a great time to give horses a break from shoes, and wonder why you would want to shoe them
If we ride in the mountains on late hunts, we do shoe with borium smeers, but then take those shoes off again asp
I find hoof boots with studs work great for riding down the icy and snowy roads in winter-otherwise I ride barefoot in the snow.
Our weather in southern Alberta is quite hot during the day at the moment, so you can keep the snow up north for now, LOL!
Old 09-07-2011, 01:20 PM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquineAlberta View Post
Yes. Like these...

Except the once I use are black... Not that there's all that much call for them here in Dixie.

Dave Millwater, RMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:43 PM  
Newborn Member

I've never bothered with shoes in the winter either and have never had any problems being barefoot. I always have this fear that it will be more slippery for him with shoes than without, so I go without. He still gets a decent chunk of ice and snow built up in his hooves some days though while out in the pasture (which is removed before I get on of course).

Overall I would say that if you're just going to ride in fields and ditches I wouldn't bother with the shoes.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:30 AM  
Kid Safe

When I've had a horse that had to wear shoes all year I never worried about lack of traction. The biggest problem was getting the ice out of their feet as it balls up and can end up as a huge ball that makes it like walking in high heels for them. Things like Pam don't necessarily help because the ice is hooked under kind of a ledge with the shoe and you'd have to keep putting it on on a regular basis.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Hoof Talk