Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Hoof Talk
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2010, 09:36 PM  
Greenbroke Member

What Size Shoe Does Your Horse Wear?

After a years worth of ground work, my 5 year old Arab/Percheron gelding is FINALLY started under saddle and taking everything in stride (but that's a whole other topic!). Since our arena is dry and rather hard this time of year Jasper got his first pair of front shoes yesterday (and he was a complete gentleman. I'm so proud of him! ). Anyway as my farrier was putting size 4 shoes on Jasper he commented that he has seen an upswing in hoof size over the last 10 years (A VERY GOOD THING) after watching hooves get smaller and smaller the decade before that. So I got to thinking, what size shoe does your horse wear?
Miichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:45 PM  
Newborn Member

Well.....I'm not exactly sure what SIZE of shoes my horses wear....I might ask just out of curiosity. But I can say that my 13.2 haflinger mare has large hooves, even for average size horses. But my 15.2, 3yr paint gelding has rather small hooves (we always joke that he has mule feet), which I'm hoping will grow...
reiningjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:19 AM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
My mare has kinda small feet IMO, she's about 14.3 or so and built fairly stout. She wears a 00.

My gelding Sonny is about 15 hands and fairly big boned. He wears a 1 on the fronts and a 1 or 0 on the backs.

Reno, the Mustang is 14.3 but built like a mini draft. He just barely fits into a size 2 on the fronts and a 1 on the backs.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:07 PM  
Coming two

My 15HH appendix mare wears an 0, I'd like to see her wear a bit bigger actually. Both of my other horses, a 14HH pintabian mare wears an 0 and my 15.1HH qh mare wears a 1.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:01 PM  
Started

hoof size depends on the horses..
I mean my horses would look really stupid with a size 4 shoe LOL
None of my are shod right now..Id say that Tom would be a 1 and he has big feet.
Titan will probably be an 0 and he will most likely be shod in the front as a 2yr old. and again he doesnt have small feet at all.
I care more about having a healthy, balanced foot vs size bigger doesnt mean better
Old 09-04-2010, 11:02 PM  
Weanling Member

None of mine wear shoes currently.

Y.C never has had shoes.

Harlan used to wear a size 6.

Joel used to wear a size 7..big feet, but he's the largest horse in terms of build.

Flynn wore a size 5 when he was at the racetrack.

and Frank has never worn shoes.
Quarter Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:06 AM  
Weanling Member

Size is subjective. It's how you use what your given.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:48 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bntnail View Post
Size is subjective. It's how you use what your given.
Perhaps, but that's rather like saying that the amount of bone a horse has doesn't matter...
Old 09-05-2010, 09:44 PM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miichelle View Post
Perhaps, but that's rather like saying that the amount of bone a horse has doesn't matter...
I don't see the correlation, but seein' how you brought it up, the amount of bone a horse has doesnt matter. I can't give it more, so I have to work w/ what it's got.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:34 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
I don't see the correlation, but seein' how you brought it up, the amount of bone a horse has doesnt matter. I can't give it more, so I have to work w/ what it's got.
No, you can't give a horse more bone but you can breed for it. Do you honestly believe that the amount of bone a horse has isn't important to soundness? That's certainly a unique theory...
Old 09-06-2010, 12:27 PM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
No, you can't give a horse more bone but you can breed for it. Do you honestly believe that the amount of bone a horse has isn't important to soundness? That's certainly a unique theory...
ROFLMAO. Do you honestly believe that more bone will insure soundness.

How many x-rays have you looked at w/ size 2 or larger feet?

There are many sound horses out there w/ small bones/feet.

Also, I don't believe that I presented a theory that the amount of bone isn't important/related to soundness.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:12 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
ROFLMAO. Do you honestly believe that more bone will insure soundness.

How many x-rays have you looked at w/ size 2 or larger feet?

There are many sound horses out there w/ small bones/feet.

Also, I don't believe that I presented a theory that the amount of bone isn't important/related to soundness.
No. I don't think anything will INSURE soundness, but I do believe if you do the math that the "sound horses out there w/ small bones/feet" also have enough bone for their size. I also think that there are enough studies to back this theory up done by individuals with more qualifications than a smug online horse shoer. Dr. Deb Bennett did a great article for Equus a while back maybe you should look it up and read it (if you don't already know everything...).
Old 09-07-2010, 07:40 PM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
No. I don't think anything will INSURE soundness, but I do believe if you do the math that the "sound horses out there w/ small bones/feet" also have enough bone for their size.
Now your getting there. It's not the size of the bone,but the PSI. To many pounds per square inch on a foot and soundness becomes a hard thing to achieve/maintain.

Quote:
I also think that there are enough studies to back this theory up done by individuals with more qualifications than a smug online horse shoer.
You figured me out, just a smug online shoer.What do you propose I do, only shoe horses w/ appropriately sized P3's?

Quote:
Dr. Deb Bennett did a great article for Equus a while back maybe you should look it up and read it (if you don't already know everything...).
What makes you think I haven't read it? If it's the one I'm thinking of it had to do w/ hoof mass as well as measuring the cannon bone to determine how much weight/load a horse could carry.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:06 PM  
Yearling Member

Hey guys... please also note that like our human shoes.. a size 7 in one brand is a complete different size in another brand of shoe.. I have a many horses whose SHAPE of foot requires less work to reshape to the foot if I use particular brands.. and these have the same # but are different sizes than an other brand of premade shoe. You shoe what you have..

Name the place, the time, the day... you are still guarenteed to find me with horses.
http://www.hbrstable.com
imasassycowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:27 AM  
Halter broke

Hoof size

MY horses wear an 0 or a 1. They are all QH.

Last edited by sunnyman6 : 12-04-2010 at 11:41 PM.
sunnyman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:18 PM  
Newborn Member

RE: What size shoe my horse wears..?

I think you need to take into consideration the quality of hoof you are dealing with. I had a 16H Quarter Horse who wore size 1 shoes, but he had all white feet and was lame all the time. His feet were too sensitive, and too brittle to hold his weight. However, I currently own a 16.1H Thoroughbred gelding that wears a size "Euro 1" which is equivalent to a 1 1/2 in thw Western United States. His feet are solid, with good heels and no cracks. He's 9 years old, very sound, and is used for Jumping and heavy trail riding. Depends on the horse.... and quality of the foot.
tbloverinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:51 PM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
No. I don't think anything will INSURE soundness, but I do believe if you do the math that the "sound horses out there w/ small bones/feet" also have enough bone for their size. I also think that there are enough studies to back this theory up done by individuals with more qualifications than a smug online horse shoer. Dr. Deb Bennett did a great article for Equus a while back maybe you should look it up and read it (if you don't already know everything...).

I dont think this is appropriate
Old 04-01-2011, 06:53 PM  
Long Yearling

My daughter had a clyde cross gelding.. when we got him he took a size 5 but had flat pancake feet.. some seedy toe... now when we sold him he had a size 2/3 depending on the shoe..

It wasnt better when he had a 5... it just meant the farrier wasnt doing his job..
Old 04-01-2011, 07:00 PM  
Coming two

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbloverinaz View Post
I think you need to take into consideration the quality of hoof you are dealing with. I had a 16H Quarter Horse who wore size 1 shoes, but he had all white feet and was lame all the time. His feet were too sensitive, and too brittle to hold his weight. However, I currently own a 16.1H Thoroughbred gelding that wears a size "Euro 1" which is equivalent to a 1 1/2 in thw Western United States. His feet are solid, with good heels and no cracks. He's 9 years old, very sound, and is used for Jumping and heavy trail riding. Depends on the horse.... and quality of the foot.
omg i was gonna post a story almost word for word like yours!!! CREEPY!! lol!!

my QH was gray with 4 white feet with the same problem he wore size 1. my TB is 16.3 and wears size 0 but is hardly ever shod because he has such good feet

horsebabyhehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:52 PM  
Yearling Member

none...I dont have one....
metvelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Hoof Talk