Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Hoof Talk
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2010, 12:31 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Send a message via MSN to Kahlua_Twist
Glue-on shoes

Has anyone had any experience with glue-on shoes? I can't get a good farrier in my area, and quite frankly it's too expensive to have 3 of my 6 horses shod! I apprenticed with my old farrier for a few months, and know how to trim and how to shape and fit a shoe, but am not comfortable with nailing them on! I did a bit of research and apparently glue-on shoes (or glueing on aluminum shoes) is actually a viable option. Any opinions???
Kahlua_Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:42 PM  
Bombproof Member

Why not go with hoof boots? Or google glue on horse shoes and you should get some good info.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:25 PM  
Coming two

We tried glue-ons with a thin walled mare we had. They work well...until you try to get them off. It was really really tough. Like removing artificial nails that have been put on with super glue. Not worth it, in my opinion.

Sweet Dixie, always a part of my heart
DixieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:22 PM  
Yearling Member

We never had much luck getting glue-on shoes to stay on. That was several years ago though, maybe they have developed better glue? Also, most glues have to set within a certain temperature range or they may not hold. I would do some research. Seems like a lot of uncertainty. I would get a couple good sets of hoof boots to keep on hand, and just use them.
misstishus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:26 PM  
Kid Safe

I use glu-on shoes extensively in my race horses......I think that you are going to have a problem getting the glu off, and also curing it.......Your horse is going to need to be really still and We use black llights to get the glu to set and harden better.........If I were you I don't know that I would mess with it. If you get it on there and start ripping your horses walls all to crap, you are going to be in big trouble.........

"Animals are such agreeable friends--they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms..." --George Eliot

In Loving Memory of Spikey...My Best Friend...I Miss You RIP 1988-2009
kanoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:50 AM  
Coming two

There is a new type of glue on shoe on the market, and the research and experiments look very promising. It's called a Quix Shoe and it's a mold that goes on the foot and is then filled with vettec. They have been tested everywhere from Kentucky to Dubai and have had good results. The molds and the vettec are a little pricey but it's my understanding that the costs even out over time as the mold is reusable for dozens of uses. In talking to the inventor I was told that the material will actually fall off after a while so you'll know when to replace them, or you can just cut them off with hoof nippers and then level the foot with a rasp and apply a new set.

Now I wouldn't recommend that just anyone try this method but you did say you have apprenticed with a farrier so, hopefully, you have enough experience to use these.

Hope this helps
David

"If you see your stirrups slap together above the horn, you're probably bucked off". Dave Stamey.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:20 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Send a message via MSN to Kahlua_Twist
Hmmm - now that's not one I found in my searches! I don't want to use boots as I have 3 horses that need shoes and that's 3 different sizes of boots, plus they're not really show-ring friendly.

I'd like to think I'm smart enough not to destroy my horses hoof when removing glue-on shoes though I think I can figure that part out. Plus, there's just as much risk of serious damage with nailing on and ripping them off improperly!

Back to the google search to investigate further!
Kahlua_Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:37 AM  
Coming two

Try this website for more information.

http://www.quixshoe.com/

David

"If you see your stirrups slap together above the horn, you're probably bucked off". Dave Stamey.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:47 AM  
Coming two

Send a message via AIM to Jess6092
We are trying glue-ons with a thin walled horse that we have. We couldn't get nailed on shoes to stay on. Even though my husband is a farrier we hired one with experience with the glue-ons to do this horse because it is kinda like artwork. It takes practice to get it right and he didn't want to practice on a horse that is already having foot problems.
Jess6092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:44 AM  
Coming two

Jess,

Get your husband to look at that site in my last post. If he's a farrier I'm sure he can do these shoes no problem, and on of the case studies was on a TB race horse that had walls too thin to nail too. If I remember correctly, a couple of cycles with the quix shoe and he was back to getting nailed on shoes.

Just so you know, I have no affiliation with this product and I haven't used it yet but I've seen some case studies and I've talked to the inventer and some who have used it and everyone seems happy with the results so far.

Hope this helps
David

Old 07-15-2010, 04:40 PM  
Newborn Member

Quix Shoes

Just had Quix shoes put on my horse today by my farrier. The whole idea of them is very good, but a very well behaved horse is a definite plus! For the first shoe, it took about one hour, but the second shoe was about 15 minutes. My horse had to realize the plastic mold wasn't gonna eat him. It definitely takes two people to do this. I will keep you posted how they wear.
skweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:22 AM  
Coming two

Quote:
Originally Posted by skweek View Post
Just had Quix shoes put on my horse today by my farrier. The whole idea of them is very good, but a very well behaved horse is a definite plus! For the first shoe, it took about one hour, but the second shoe was about 15 minutes. My horse had to realize the plastic mold wasn't gonna eat him. It definitely takes two people to do this. I will keep you posted how they wear.
OUt of curiosity, would you mind telling us what it cost to get them applied in your area? How do you like them?

David

Old 07-17-2010, 06:13 AM  
Newborn Member

Quix Shoes

It cost 120 for the fronts. We like them so far, but it has only been four days. We Event, so I am curious as to how well they stay on and hold up. I will update on how well they do.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:39 AM  
Long Yearling

If I may ask, what general area of NC are you in & who is the farrier who put them on? We debated shoes on Dixie this last time because the pasture where she boards is terribly rocky and she really was chipping her hooves but they also grew enough that aside from one corner of her left front, all the "roughage" could be removed and rolled the heck out of her edges. I just hate the idea of nails and don't even know if she has EVER had shoes.
dixiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:52 PM  
Newborn Member

Quix shoes

I am in the Raleigh area. The name of my Farrier is Charlie Bunyea.
My horses come from Massachusetts, and their feet cannot adjust to the hot & dry weather here. Their feet are breaking up terribly. This horse especially has a very thin hoof wall, and his feet have nothing left to attach a nailed shoe to, so I hope this works!

Last edited by skweek : 07-17-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:52 PM  
Long Yearling

Let me know how they work out for you as far as protection & lasting time.
dixiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:00 PM  
Newborn Member

Quix Shoes

Well, I'm sorry to say that these glue-on shoes did not work out very well for us.After about a week, there was a small crack on the tip, and within two more days, the shoe was completely in half! I don't think these shoes are made for very active sport horses...they would work very good for therapeutic purposes or maybe horses that are just pastured. Guess it's back to traditional shoes (
Old 08-10-2010, 08:59 AM  
Coming two

If you get on horseshoes.com you'll find the inventer there, he uses his name as his ID and he can help you with that. I've seen a few others having the exact same issue and it's some small issue with application. He has helped others correct the issue, I'm sure he'll help you as well.

These shoes were invented to help the hooves of TB race horses and were extensively tested on those horses before being released to the public.

Hope this helps
David

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Hoof Talk