Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Hoof Talk
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2010, 01:55 PM  
Halter broke

Sole bruise UPDATE

I am kind of bummed. I have been taking Penny out almost every weekend trail riding so she gets some more experience. New England is pretty rocky. Well somehow or another she ended up with a bruise the size of a nickel on her sole. There is a local show I really wanted to go to this Sunday but I'm not sure if the bruise will be healed enough by then. She is on bute and light turnout and is going to have some days off. I know bruises heal on their own, but if someone has healing solutions please send them my way!

Last edited by 14wishes : 04-22-2010 at 08:01 AM.
14wishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:42 PM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14wishes View Post
I am kind of bummed. I have been taking Penny out almost every weekend trail riding so she gets some more experience. New England is pretty rocky. Well somehow or another she ended up with a bruise the size of a nickel on her sole. There is a local show I really wanted to go to this Sunday but I'm not sure if the bruise will be healed enough by then. She is on bute and light turnout and is going to have some days off. I know bruises heal on their own, but if someone has healing solutions please send them my way!

Best healing remedy is a tincture of time.

In the meantime, shoes with light leather pads and soft packing will, in most cases, provide immediate comfort and afford protection against further damage. They will also allow you to compete on Sunday free of concern.

Cheers,
Mark
Mark_Gough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:01 AM  
Halter broke

Update:
Last night Penny was very ouchy and was definitely walking worse than she has been. (There was no noticeable gait difference at the walk previously) Extremely tender when I pressed the area with my fingers and I felt heat in the suspected area. So I thought maybe the bruise is turning into an abcess and it needs to be popped... scraped away just a little bit of sole and there is a <5mm horizontal line of blood. Did not scrape enough away to reach soft tissue so that is not where the blood is coming from. Called vet and soaked her foot in Epsom salts, added some goop, diapered and wrapped it up. Vet said if she doesn't get better he will come out and see it on Saturday unless I think it is getting worse or infected. Also put a call in to my farrier this morning, waiting on a call back from him. New thoughts???
Old 04-28-2010, 10:09 PM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14wishes View Post
Update:
Last night Penny was very ouchy and was definitely walking worse than she has been. (There was no noticeable gait difference at the walk previously) Extremely tender when I pressed the area with my fingers and I felt heat in the suspected area. So I thought maybe the bruise is turning into an abcess and it needs to be popped... scraped away just a little bit of sole and there is a <5mm horizontal line of blood. Did not scrape enough away to reach soft tissue so that is not where the blood is coming from. Called vet and soaked her foot in Epsom salts, added some goop, diapered and wrapped it up. Vet said if she doesn't get better he will come out and see it on Saturday unless I think it is getting worse or infected. Also put a call in to my farrier this morning, waiting on a call back from him. New thoughts???
More updates?
Old 04-29-2010, 08:25 AM  
Halter broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bntnail View Post
More updates?
I can do that !

I soaked the foot in Epsom salts and Iodine and packed the foot with Icthamol for a few days. The "peg leg" went away almost immediately after we "dug" for the abcess. The next few days I was able to squeeze a small amount of bloody liquid out of the hole. Penny was moving better but still not 100%. Saturday I soaked but packed with Sugardine and the area was not soft Sunday morning. She was moving great and I could not squeeze anything out. We did go to the show and she was sound. The farrier came out Monday and looked at the foot. He told me I didn't need to soak or wrap it anymore and he could not squeeze anything out. The area around the "abcess/bruise" does emit a little bloody liquid.

Last night I checked her feet (I had someone else ride her a few days early this week) and the area around the abcess/bruise is much softer than the rest of her foot. I am going to pack the foot with Sugardine again tonight. She looks much better but still a little not right.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:39 PM  
Weanling Member

Hang in there, your gettin it lined out.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:09 PM  
Halter broke

Update again...

Still not 100%. She starts out fine, but then will get ouchy on her foot the more she is worked. It is like a misstep more than all out LAME. If I wrap with sugardine then the missteps are gone. I did have a vet come out and look at the foot. She pared away a little more of the foot thinking if there was something in there we should expose it so dirt and sand were not getting trapped which could make matters worse. The opening was a small slit that went into the soft tissue so there was cause for concern. There was significant bruising further down on the wall. Soaked and wrapped the foot all weekend. Waiting for good news.

Penny does not care at all about putting weight on her foot, she will rest her other hind leg. She does not like when you poke and prod at the area on her foot. She has no problems galloping around in turnout and does not look lame then.

I swear when something is wrong with your horse the days just creep by...

I should add there is no discharge from the hole anymore. I am not sure if that is good or bad...
Old 05-04-2010, 12:45 AM  
Started

It may just take "tincture of time" until there's new sole growth to fill in the area. If there's no more discharge, you might want to consider stopping the soaking to let the foot dry out. I'm not familiar with the sugardine you're using, I've used icthammol on healing abscesses. It's nasty, black tarry stuff, but it's thick enough to really stay put, and is iodine based, so it's an antiseptic, plus it helps the drying/toughening process. If there's a "hole" or groove, I've soaked the foot to remove any last gunk, dried it, put the icthammol in, and then stuffed a small piece of cotton in the hole (it sticks pretty well to the icthammol). Then you can bandage/boot over that. I've had great luck with disposable diapers covered with duct tape, even on a pastured horse! I'll change the dressing as needed (especially if it gets uncovered) for about a week or so, and it gets to the point where it's not sensitive to touch anymore, or in some cases, there is no real "hole" left for the cotton to go into. I'm not a vet, but this has worked for me with my thin-soled TB who gets abscesses while SHOD and on PASTURE....

I grew up in New England, and know what you're saying about rocky trails! It was the norm in my area and circle of horsey folks to have horses shod on all 4 if they were being ridden at all. I was literally up in the hills though, so it may vary in other parts of MA.

Good luck, it does sound like you're making progress, hopefully it will fill in without any issues!
sfl89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:56 AM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfl89 View Post
It may just take "tincture of time" until there's new sole growth to fill in the area. If there's no more discharge, you might want to consider stopping the soaking to let the foot dry out. I'm not familiar with the sugardine you're using, I've used icthammol on healing abscesses. It's nasty, black tarry stuff, but it's thick enough to really stay put, and is iodine based, so it's an antiseptic, plus it helps the drying/toughening process. If there's a "hole" or groove, I've soaked the foot to remove any last gunk, dried it, put the icthammol in, and then stuffed a small piece of cotton in the hole (it sticks pretty well to the icthammol). Then you can bandage/boot over that. I've had great luck with disposable diapers covered with duct tape, even on a pastured horse! I'll change the dressing as needed (especially if it gets uncovered) for about a week or so, and it gets to the point where it's not sensitive to touch anymore, or in some cases, there is no real "hole" left for the cotton to go into. I'm not a vet, but this has worked for me with my thin-soled TB who gets abscesses while SHOD and on PASTURE....

I grew up in New England, and know what you're saying about rocky trails! It was the norm in my area and circle of horsey folks to have horses shod on all 4 if they were being ridden at all. I was literally up in the hills though, so it may vary in other parts of MA.

Good luck, it does sound like you're making progress, hopefully it will fill in without any issues!
Common sense; practical solutions/approach and reasonable counsel.

You get the blue ribbon.

Cheers,
Mark
Mark_Gough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:35 AM  
Halter broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfl89 View Post

Thank you so much for your suggestions! When I first started soaking and wrapping her I used ichthamol (about 2 weeks ago). It smells so horrid and is very sticky. I put it on the slit and placed some gauze on top of that then wrapped it with a diaper, vet wrap, and duct tape. I was soaking and changing the wrap every day. I am now using sugardine (iodine and sugar) because it was very useful in drawing anything out of the slit in her hoof. These past few days the gauze has not had any evidence of discharge on it and only the sugar remains. The area is not noticeably sensitive to the touch or hoof pick anymore. I do hope this is a good sign.

Last night I was really questioning whether or not I needed to continue to soak her foot. I think I will stop soaking it for a while and see what happens.

I also should add that I stopped wrapping her foot in a diaper and just used vet wrap and then put a hoof boot on it for support. She is still going outside for turnout and there is no evidence of lameness at the walk.

I guess my question now is exactly when should I stop wrapping the foot? I don't want to create new problems by trapping moisture. Do you think just booting the foot for a while is a good idea while I wait for the bruise to grow out?

Last edited by 14wishes : 05-04-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:57 AM  
Started

Oh, you're lucky you can boot, my horse has strange shaped feet so I haven't had luck booting him. I would think if you stop soaking and you use a drying agent like icthammol or the sugardine under a wrap plus boot that you'd probably be ok after a week or so. I think the horse will tell you, if you take it off in a week and she stays sound, she's probably good to go. I think you're already in the home stretch, it just seems awfully long sometimes!

(Mark, thanks for the pat on the back )
sfl89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Hoof Talk