Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Hoof Talk
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2009, 08:54 PM  
Newborn Member

treatment of white line disease

about 9 weeks ago our farrier dug holes in the bottom of three of my horse's hooves saying he has white line disease and that i should keep the holes clean and spray them with "save a hoof" daily...which i've done. i've cleaned out and packed the holes with cotton balls saturated with "save a hoof." the thing that i am concerned about is that lately it seems each time i clean them out there is more fungus to remove causing these holes to get deeper and wider.

i've read many places that the way to treat this is to cut away the hoof wall to get rid of the entire infected area, and to allow it to have exposure to the air...while naturally, the crevices my horse has now, if not packed with save a hoof and cotton balls will just get packed with dirt and stones. so i'm wondering what advice any farrier or horse person with similar experience has on cutting away the hoof wall of the infected white line?
rocky road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:43 PM  
Weanling Member

rr,
You are correct though early cases can be held under control w/ topicals. Hot fitting when shoeing also helps. Advanced cases need debridement/resection. Resections should only be done w/ shoeing. Pics would help. If smaller openings then can treat, (I prefer merthiolate[sp]) and seal w/ Keratex hoof putty.

bntnail,farrier
bntnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:49 AM  
Coming two

bntnail has pretty much summed it up. The only thing I will add is that if the WLD is growing then it wasn't debrided fully, that's an easy thing to do as when you're digging it out you are pretty much going by feel. I would suggest that you take a nail( or hoof pick if the hole is big enough) and dig it out each day to make sure all the black stuff is gone before you treat it. It might also help to treat it twice a day instead of once. Be carefull when digging it out because if you dig out too much you'll cause pain and bleeding.

I'm just going to guess that you live in the southern US as we have more cases of wld for some reason. If you don't feel like your farrier is getting the job done you can look up the AFA website and find a farrier in your area. Most of the time if you explain what's going on they'll come out and work with your farrier and show him/her the best way to treat it. Knowledge is only gained through experience but sometimes it can be gained by someone else's experience.

david

"If you see your stirrups slap together above the horn, you're probably bucked off". Dave Stamey.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:33 PM  
Weanling Member

We soak the feet in copper sulpahte and vinegar,. we use soaking boots with 1/4 cup coppersulfate and white vinegarup to the coronary band. Soak for 20 miutes 2 or 3 times per week. my Farrier drills hole in the hooves to expose the fungus to air and make it easier to treat. this process works the best of anything I have tried.
morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:58 AM  
Newborn Member

i will post pics soon...took some the other day and left the camera at the barn...i've been digging the holes out with medical forceps. each time i think i have dug it all out only to be able to dig more out the next day...i will try using a nail to see if that helps as the holes are deeper/narrower than a hoof pick can reach.

this horse has never needed shoes...so hopefully we can clear this case of WLD without needing to shoe and "resection".
Old 05-29-2009, 01:31 PM  
Newborn Member

pics of rock's white line disease friends...or really enemies.

ok, so hopefully i attached those photos correctly...the deepest hole he has is probably deep enough to fit about an inch and 1/2 of a nail into...and one of the things i'm wondering about is why it just seems to continue to get deeper...i had hoped these holes would get smaller at least after the second time the farrier was out to trim him again, but like i said, they've just gotten deeper.

...unfortunately i was by myself when i was taking the pictures, so if you think these are poor angles, just be glad i didn't post the other 10 tries i had. and it also turns out that i need to work on the flash not being such the scary monster for him...haha...such fun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg backright.jpg (49.9 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg front right.jpg (86.5 KB, 78 views)
Old 05-31-2009, 09:05 AM  
Seasoned

I have a mare that had WLD that we fought for years. We tried almost every topical known I think! I finally took her off sweet feed and put her on Nu-Foot (specifically formulated from Farrier Science to fight white line from the inside out) and soaked her foot in White Lightning a couple times. I also tried to keep White Lightning in the hole (hers was only about an inch deep). After three of four years of fighting this, is was gone in about four months.

I didn't want to resection and when my farrier suggested the supplement and the WhiteLightning, I decided to give it a try. Glad I did.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:38 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Send a message via AIM to mingiz
I had a gelding years ago that had a foot issue on the rear. When i went to pick the horse up (freebie) His hoof had feel off and a new numb grew in behind it. Took me 3 months just to get a foot under him. Then it always had like a quarter crack in it. Well none of the farriers around here could get it to close up. The horse had issues beside the hoof his pastern was deformed a lil bit. Hoof had a dish shape to it. Then the navicular started. So my last ditch effort because he was getting worst and his coffin had some rotation. He was dead lame on it and in pain. So the thought of putting him down was in the back of my mind. I found a farrier about 3hrs from home, shipped him up there and the farrier cut about 1/2 of his foot away.He had a fungus in the hoof wall and no one around here had the knowledge or maybe the courage to fix it. The farrier gave me a little bottle of meds to put on him every day. So for 3 months I would soak it in epsom salt, then dry it good ,then put the meds on it. pack his sole with pads then I made a leather pad for the bottom of his foot and put vet wrap around that and them a boot of duck tape to keep his foot dry. He grew a new hoof that was fungus free but he wasn't rideable for trail. So I ended up giving him to a 7yro girl that would ride him around thier house. The last time I heard about him he was 28 and still giving rides. He's probably gone now but he was one big hearted, loving horse.....
mingiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:34 AM  
Pasture Pet

http://www.banixx.com/case-study-whi...se-banixx.html
Never suffered through this personally.
Was just reading this yesterday though and found it interesting.
Product works on anaerobic as well as aerobic-and they suggest booting while treating.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:01 AM  
Coming two

Rocky Road- I don't know if you took these pictures before you cleaned the hole or after but there is still black stuff ( infection) in the hole. It's probably spreading because you're not getting it all out. Also, whatever you're using to treat the WLD is likely not staying in the hole long enough. Try putting your medicine in the hole then stuffing the hole with cotton balls. I know some guys who will treat it by filling with medicine soaked cotton balls then shoeing, the shoe holds the cotton balls in the hole and it's usually gone by the next shoeing.

I know you don't want to shoe and resect so maybe you can clean out the hole then pour in some peroxide. Make sure you flush out the peroxide with water before you treat with the medicine. Then medicate and plug with cotton balls.

Hope this helps
David

"If you see your stirrups slap together above the horn, you're probably bucked off". Dave Stamey.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:00 PM  
Yearling Member

my NEW farrier was just out and did a huge clean up and put new shoes on. and guess what ? my horse has WLD. the old farrier never mentioned a thing....no one he couldn't keep a shoe on. he said equal parts white lightening and vinegar before we shoe next time cuz u want to leave it open. but u have to use a boot (tape it around the top so the gas goes up inside the foot, not escape the boot) and soak each foot for 30-40 minutes. farrier says usually 1 or 2 treatments should knock it out.
secondhandranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:12 PM  
Pasture Pet

It could also be spreading because the cause of the problem is still there. My horse had white line for years before I bought her and it took me three years to get rid of it. I coordinated the care between my farrier and my vet. We used antibiotics, hoof soaking in epsom salts (well, we tried) and then applications of an over the counter hoof fungicide. The farrier had to leave a bit more hoof than usual so the soil didn't get pushed up inside the hoof. My horse had at least three abscesses blow out near the coronet band before we got it under control. Last fall the last of the "bad hoof" was removed.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:21 PM  
Yearling Member

Yeah For Cowboy, The Farrier Just Left After Coming Out To Pull A Shoe A Trim And Says My Horse Has Healthy Feet Again. And We Didn't Even Have To Soak Them W/ The White Lightening We Were Just Able To Trim Up The Yuckies And Find Good Hoof Growing Back In. Only Thing Extra Was Nice Dry Sand And 2x Weekly Applications Of Turpentine Hoof Conditioner. Thank God We Are Back To Feet.:d
secondhandranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:55 AM  
Coming two

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky road View Post
about 9 weeks ago our farrier dug holes in the bottom of three of my horse's hooves saying he has white line disease and that i should keep the holes clean and spray them with "save a hoof" daily...which i've done. i've cleaned out and packed the holes with cotton balls saturated with "save a hoof." the thing that i am concerned about is that lately it seems each time i clean them out there is more fungus to remove causing these holes to get deeper and wider.

i've read many places that the way to treat this is to cut away the hoof wall to get rid of the entire infected area, and to allow it to have exposure to the air...while naturally, the crevices my horse has now, if not packed with save a hoof and cotton balls will just get packed with dirt and stones. so i'm wondering what advice any farrier or horse person with similar experience has on cutting away the hoof wall of the infected white line?
I usually try "The Horse" for lota of good hoof info. They have a lot on white line and other hoof problems. Here's the url. This place is worth registering-there is a lot of good hoof info there.

http://www.thehorse.com/viewarticle.aspx?ID=3177

"The cause of white line disease is unknown, but it’s thought to be a multifactorial condition linked to an invasion into the area by infectious organisms such as bacteria and/or fungi. Stephen O’Grady, DVM, MRCVS, of Northern Virginia Equine in The Plains, Va., says these organisms might be secondary opportunists that invade the area after some sort of hoof wall trauma.

“One researcher hypothesizes that bleeding from laminar tearing—which can be caused by bruising, a long toe, etc.—may set up a very, very good medium for bacteria to grow in,” he says. “In other words, white line disease may occur from the inside and work its way out. This theory makes sense to me, as opportunistic bacteria and fungi live within the foot.”

Other causes that have been linked to the disease include environmental conditions, mechanics, and nutrition.

“......Most commonly, white line disease is seen in times of moisture changes,” Turner states. “Moisture—or lack of it—causes weakening of the weakest part of the hoof wall. As the hoof is weakened, mechanical factors such as long toes, clubby feet, or any condition that increases the stresses on the toe or quarters can cause the wall to break apart or separate. The subsequent crevice that forms is perfect for bacteria or fungi that normally inhabit the ground to invade this area. The microorganisms further digest the keratin in the wall, which exacerbates the weakness. Poor nutrition or diets that do not have enough biotin or sulfur-containing amino acids may result in a weaker wall that is further predisposed to this condition.”.......
Sunlei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:03 PM  
Coming two

I find this thread very interesting as I'm experiencing the same things. I had some weird lamenesses and noticed my horses feet looked odd on the bottom. Called the vet he dug out several spots of what he said was fungus and he said that was what was making my mare lame. gave me something called miloseptic (sp?) she's fine now. My new farrier is a natural trimmer and says the vet shouldn't have dug out the fungus and there's no such thing as wld. seems like everyone has a different view.
lbequ4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:06 PM  
Pasture Pet

Takes all kinds I guess

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Hoof Talk