Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2008, 07:08 PM  
Newborn Member

Question Mare that broke cannon bone

I have a TB mare at the farm I manage that had broken her cannon bone on the track. I know it has been several years since this happened. I was wondering if she would be able to be ridden again. I cant ask her owner any questions as he has just passed away. I just wanted to see if anyone out there has had this experience. My boss is going to talk to out vet to see what he says. Thanks in advance for all reply's.
Babes_Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:36 PM  
Kid Safe

I haven't had any experience so I can't help. But I would love to hear what you find out! Good luck!!

You don't have to be crazy to be my friend,
but it helps!!!
sundancer maiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:56 AM  
Yearling Member

A friend of mine had a horse who got kicked out in the pasture and it broke his cannon bone earlier this year. The vet was called out but they said it could not be fixed and the horse was put down the same day. So when I read this thread and see that a horse survived this it makes me wonder. Maybe they did not put her down at the time it happened because of where the break was or something and someone must have thought she should be saved. But, maybe just for breeding?

Sorry, I don't have any real knowledge to help answer your question. Maybe you can start her on light ground work and see how she holds up. Does she limp or have swelling, deformity on the leg?
jdougert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:22 AM  
Started

broken cannon bone

I would have the leg x-rayed and see what the leg looks like . Since it's a old injury see how the bone healed. I would think that you could probably just start the horse on light training short walks without a person on her back and work your way up.
flexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:43 AM  
Yearling Member

Had a TB mare once did this. Put her on stall rest for about two months. She was mad. Made her kick the walls and stuff,after being on track she was hyper, thought she would not make it if she did not quit. Then moved her to a very small paddock so she could walk around but no trotting or running. Kept her there for six months! Had to. Then next three months moved her to a SLIGHTLY bigger area so she coud trot. After she began to trot and things with no problems or signs of lameness after about another three months, I moved her to a even bigger area where she could trot, possibly canter but not open up. She did well and can now gallop with the best of them. I never used her for riding only for broodmare. She is a fine horse. I would consult with vet about it all because it depends on where, how extensive what is recommended etc. Also how much time you will put into a horse because as you can see it took me well over a year of good care to bring my horse around. Good Luck.

Roger Staubach
Kingpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:52 AM  
Yearling Member

The cannon bone should be fine now. You need x-rays to see it there was much joint involvement and residual arthritis. Many of these horses do fine with riding
csimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:55 AM  
Kid Safe

I would think with the injury being several years old, it should be fine. Get a set of radiographs done to have a reference and go from there. Unless it is a compound fracture cannon bone injuries are not as life altering as they once were, they tend to do well after they heal.

"Animals are such agreeable friends--they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms..." --George Eliot

In Loving Memory of Spikey...My Best Friend...I Miss You RIP 1988-2009
kanoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:17 PM  
Newborn Member

I own a gelding that broke his cannon bone at age 3 he is now 12 he has been aproved for light ridding(walking trail rides) it all depends on where on the cannon she broke it and how well it healed always ask your vet for what they think i have my vet check Sonny every 6 months

Last edited by Sonny89 : 02-03-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Sonny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:50 AM  
Halter broke

I agree.. it all depends on the break. I know horses that have had minor fractures that can now be ridden. I am guessing since the injury is so old and she appears to be fine now that she would be able to be ridden. But I agree since you don't know the history, I would have a vet x ray it just to be certain.
mosscreekpaints is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition