Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2009, 06:58 PM  
Greenbroke Member

It is noticeably smaller, though, so that's good. Keep your spirits up, you'll get her there one day, hopefully sooner rather than later.

"Ye've the look of a scoundrel! And a dandysprat and a ragamuffin. Though I'll admit, for all that, ye could yet be a congressman". From Jim Butcher's "Ghost Story"
Jean Genie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:33 PM  
Newborn Member

I hope your horse gets better. Healing horses does take alot of time and seeing the wound every day is hard to tell if it's geting any better. I wish I new about this web-site when my horses were hurt. I have one horse that gets hurt alot in a pasture with no junk or anything. This horse last wound he got his back end in barb wire scratched up under his hind legs and had a deep cut right on front of his hock and his leg was swelled from the hock down. I use caynee pepper mixed in vegatable oil for swelling. I tried to wrap it hard to do for a horse moving around. I also hosed with cold water. I use corona sauve and schrieners for wounds. I ran out of schrieners and could not afford any more. So unfortunately the wound healed but there is a spot that has not grown any hair. I have been to New Mexico but I'm not sure what kind of wound stuff is there. Corona yellow sauve it draws out infection, reduce swelling or anything in the wound. Schrieners is a liquid it's good for healing and proud flesh. They are both herbal stuff. Your horses wound looks better but i'm concerned with swelling and is awfully red there might be something in the wound with it still draining. Does the drainage have any odor to it? Is there any color?
horsegirl26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:33 AM  
Pasture Pet

I would take off wraps and try to wrap only every other day or every two days, sometimes wrapping can deter healing, ,
as you said the tendon is getting weaker with the wraps on all the time.
jmo
but it does look good and taking a long time to heal.
For proud flesh ask your vet for white lotion to put on,that is what my vet gave me for a similar situation.
horselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:50 AM  
Pasture Pet

Wow, I thought she would be all healed by now. She will be though. The wound, from the pics looks clean and is healing. You are doing a good job.

As far as the tendons getting weak. Does it bust open when you leave the support off and hand walk her without it? If not, ask your vet about doing some sort of therapy on her for a few minutes a day several times a day. Maybe that will help. Keep your chin up.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:52 AM  
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameo05 View Post
Wow, I thought she would be all healed by now. She will be though. The wound, from the pics looks clean and is healing. You are doing a good job.

As far as the tendons getting weak. Does it bust open when you leave the support off and hand walk her without it? If not, ask your vet about doing some sort of therapy on her for a few minutes a day several times a day. Maybe that will help. Keep your chin up.

thanks I can't keep the wraps off till teh wound it healed. We are tring to remove the infection and the NO grass allows dirt to just cake in it. I keep the wraps on really lite basically like a bandage rather than a wrap. It is just taking FOR EVER.

Izzy my walking dream!!!
cook1745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:28 AM  
Seasoned

Well I think we are finally an the road to recovery. I unwrapped her leg today and the wound is nearly healed. Not much swelling. I do have her back on 1 gram of bute for the last three days due to her over exerting herself when I went riding and she was mad to be home alone.
so once she is off that we will see how she is walking on it and if it ballons back up when left unwrapped?

Izzy my walking dream!!!
Old 02-19-2009, 10:42 AM  
Halter broke

Last edited by 4PaintHorses : 02-22-2009 at 08:25 PM.
4PaintHorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:49 AM  
Long Yearling

Cook I am so tickled for you and for Cinnamon. I think that her getting upset is a sign that she is indeed on the mend and it won't seem like too much longer and it will be you and her riding out
Old 02-26-2009, 06:28 PM  
Yearling Member

So what is happening with her leg now? I am still dealing with the same thing on my horse and not getting anywhere. I was just wonderong how you were faring?

You can't always sit on the fence while the world passes by, sometimes you just gotta ride. Chris Ladoux
RebaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:12 PM  
Seasoned

Well she still has a small open wound and has to be kept wrapped at all times to prevent swelling. She has now injured her front knee it is swollen from something over night.

I am so tired of this mares clumbsiness.

Oh well one day she will be sound I HOPE!!!!

Izzy my walking dream!!!
Old 02-28-2009, 06:51 PM  
Seasoned

Well knock on wood I think we are FINALLY climbing out of the hole!!!! Her leg has been left unwrapped for two days and other than the expected swelling from being left unwrapped for the first time in months it looks good. She is off bute and not super lame just a little tender but I can touch teh leg all over and no reaction I can manipulate the tendon and still nothing!!!!

She is BL solution which is a natural pain killer and anti-inflamitory but still all concidered she is doing exceptional!!!

Izzy my walking dream!!!
Old 02-28-2009, 09:33 PM  
Yearling Member

If you get a chance can we get some updated pics?

You can't always sit on the fence while the world passes by, sometimes you just gotta ride. Chris Ladoux
RebaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:40 AM  
Seasoned

Yup I'll get them this am.

Izzy my walking dream!!!
Old 03-01-2009, 10:21 AM  
Seasoned

ok here are this am's new pictures.

You can see it still has some swelling which I think is scar tissue and may never go away but I can touch it all over and no reaction or pain. So this is VERY much inproved!!!

She is walking and putting all her weight on it when she turns so I think we are FINALLY getting there!!!!

Izzy my walking dream!!!
Old 03-01-2009, 10:34 AM  
Coming two

It looks so much better Cook! Poor girl you know that had to be rough on her. Her leg may always be a little big like you said but I think it will still go down a little. I have the perfect solution for your clumsy mare. Bubble wrap and padded or rubber walls in her stall!
Old 03-01-2009, 10:55 AM  
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanieLeann14 View Post
It looks so much better Cook! Poor girl you know that had to be rough on her. Her leg may always be a little big like you said but I think it will still go down a little. I have the perfect solution for your clumsy mare. Bubble wrap and padded or rubber walls in her stall!
Bubble wrapp has been applied!!! I got your card as well thank you. She seems much better.

Izzy my walking dream!!!
Old 03-01-2009, 02:00 PM  
Pasture Pet

Wow, she is looking great. I am so very very happy she is healing for you. I know how you feel about that mare. Can you apply underwoods to finish up the little bit of healing. If you call them they will tell you several recipes to do what is needed for a particular thing. Man she is looking great. You are the best horse mommy.

PS: Penny is not liking the snow
Old 03-01-2009, 02:30 PM  
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameo05 View Post
Wow, she is looking great. I am so very very happy she is healing for you. I know how you feel about that mare. Can you apply underwoods to finish up the little bit of healing. If you call them they will tell you several recipes to do what is needed for a particular thing. Man she is looking great. You are the best horse mommy.

PS: Penny is not liking the snow
Yes the arab in her is a sissy horse to the cold. When we lived in South Ga and it was below 60 and rained she stood there and shivered.

Cinnamon is part polar bear and grows a HUGH coat and sweats over 60.

Izzy my walking dream!!!
Old 03-01-2009, 04:25 PM  
Pasture Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cook1745 View Post
Yes the arab in her is a sissy horse to the cold. When we lived in South Ga and it was below 60 and rained she stood there and shivered.

Cinnamon is part polar bear and grows a HUGH coat and sweats over 60.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:53 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Oh my goodness, that looks AWESOME, finally!! YAY Well done, Cook .

"Ye've the look of a scoundrel! And a dandysprat and a ragamuffin. Though I'll admit, for all that, ye could yet be a congressman". From Jim Butcher's "Ghost Story"
Jean Genie is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition