Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2008, 05:25 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cascy
What do you do about Bot Fly's???

For some reason they are SWARMING poor jake... He can't stand them, I can't stand them... They are coloring his legs in yellow spots!

I know the last worming we used was ivermectin which is supposed to take care of bots right?

But I looked them up and it says to cut them off with a razor, but not to let them touch the ground or you.. .If they hit the ground they still grow, and if they get to you.. they can infect you

Any ideas?!? I'm lost and he's gonna go crazy with these stupid bots pesterin him all the time!
cascy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:52 PM  
Bombproof Member

Have you tried rubbing the legs or affected areas down in a cloth dampened with baby oil? The oil is said to smother the eggs and clog the pores causing suffocation and preventing them from hatching. You can then remove them with a bot knife or shedding block without worrying about reinfestation.

And yes, worm again with Ivermectin once the season for the bot fly is over.

Last edited by seerfarm : 09-21-2008 at 05:58 PM.
seerfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:56 PM  
Yearling Member

Yuck, never heard about them infecting people! I had a nightmare about that once though. Wasn't pretty. I also didn't know that about them hitting the ground. I'm not sure that's truth though because they bury into the horses digestive tract and what would they feed on on the ground?

I hate bots. If they are swarming like you are talking about I'd stand out there and smash them by hand. Sounds gross but it's affective. They are slower than you think and they won't hurt you. You are meaning the honey bee looking bot flies aren't you?

I also scrape the eggs off with a bot egg knife. I found today that once confused bot fly had laid eggs all in one o my mare's mane. What a mess! I'll have to pick those off by hand.

Yes, it's good to worm with ivermectin after the bot flies are finished laying. That way you will get them instead of having them reinfect your horse.
sweetwaterarabians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:20 PM  
Bombproof Member

Slower then they look Apparently not in arkansas!!!

I was under jake's belly trying to swat and smash that sucker... Brad was at his front legs with his hat trying to swat him!

I got him once and knocked him to the ground, but he flew up before I had the chance to smash him good

It does kind of look like a bee.... with a little "stinger" like thing he keeps trying to poke jake with

Poor boy runs to me and stands there like he's say "help mom... there everywhere! "

I've been out there swatting them off of him for the better part of an hour now

I'm gonna try the baby oil... I tried to scrap them off with my finger nail but they are stuck pretty good!

All over his legs, whiters, mane, chest, even on his nose!
Old 09-21-2008, 06:25 PM  
Bombproof Member

I have also been using a mix of baby oil, apple cider vinegar and listerine 1/3 mix each in a bug spray and believe it or not it does help!
Old 09-21-2008, 06:28 PM  
Yearling Member

Please clarify someone who knows, I know they can infect humans but I thought that was through the vector of certain mosquitoes, can you touch and ge them? So not see how but will believe anything in this world. Also once on ground how can the egg survive. Unless horse eats it and it has a digestive tract to live in?
Kingpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:29 PM  
Yearling Member

Oh my gosh you are overrun with them!! I'd definitely be keeping some ivermectin on hand. I feel for you getting all those things off.

The best time to get them is when they are trying to lay the eggs and they are distracted.
sweetwaterarabians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:31 PM  
Bombproof Member

Here's the link I read about it getting into humans...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botfly
Old 09-21-2008, 06:36 PM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpin View Post
Please clarify someone who knows, I know they can infect humans but I thought that was through the vector of certain mosquitoes, can you touch and ge them? So not see how but will believe anything in this world. Also once on ground how can the egg survive. Unless horse eats it and it has a digestive tract to live in?

This is a pretty informative article regarding Bots and humans...

http://ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/botfly.html

That is the concern, that a horse will ingest the grass that the eggs have fallen on too. Unless they are killed, smothered or such they will hatch in about 2 weeks to a warble of sort. Yes, resilent buggers!
Old 09-21-2008, 06:43 PM  
Long Yearling

i feel for you... my horses almost never got bot flies or eggs on them.. but as soon as we moved to IN a lil over a week ago.. BAM now all three of them are COVERED in them..they all look like yellow legs..ewww
im running out to tractor supply tom. to get a new botfly knife mines too dull and a bot fly stone.
also i have heard from a reliable source that petroleum jelly works too.
wallmart better have a shelf full..
Gids_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:51 PM  
Yearling Member

We have been battling the eggs on our yearling colt. Since we first noted them on his front legs, we've been removing them with a grooming block every 3 days or so. THey keep coming back....it is very frustrating.

He seems to be the only one with the eggs...We've found a few on Turtle. None on the young fillies.

We'll keep at them and make sure that they are all wormed after our first big frost.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:07 AM  
Started

I have dealt with bot fly eggs for years. Just scrape them off and continue to do so until the season is over. Never have heard of not letting them drop to the ground or humans getting it and I wipe my horses legs down with my hands while scraping the little bu........ers off.

I have found that here in B.C. (on the Island) people don't seem to be as familiar with the bot flies as I am. Jack is still getting them while on the Island and some of the other horses are too. I am having to educate my co riders!!!!!

I also found that they appear to be giving their horses the Ivermectin wormer now. I don't give Jack this until November time. I give the wormer without the bot preventative, now.

Anne
annem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:11 AM  
Pasture Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by seerfarm View Post
I have also been using a mix of baby oil, apple cider vinegar and listerine 1/3 mix each in a bug spray and believe it or not it does help!
I need to try this.. they are bad here this year.. Hmmmmmmmm - something new - I like it..

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:13 AM  
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascy View Post
For some reason they are SWARMING poor jake... He can't stand them, I can't stand them... They are coloring his legs in yellow spots!

I know the last worming we used was ivermectin which is supposed to take care of bots right?

But I looked them up and it says to cut them off with a razor, but not to let them touch the ground or you.. .If they hit the ground they still grow, and if they get to you.. they can infect you

Any ideas?!? I'm lost and he's gonna go crazy with these stupid bots pesterin him all the time!
Chickens and guineas.... lots of them.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:16 AM  
Bombproof Member

Jake gets a hard enough time around here from everyone... I can just see it now if he started to hang out with chickens all the time
Old 09-22-2008, 11:16 AM  
Seasoned

I was trying to figure out this weekend which dewormer works best for bots once they are ingested..so in reading boxes at the local store..I think the zimecterin gold is the only one that actually states on the box that they get rid of them once ingested.
The others deal w/ strongles, pinworms and such.
We too have lots of bots..I've been scraping them off, but suspect I need to deworm them for it, since this year they seem to have WAY more then usual, I want to make sure the dewormer I buy will take care of any inside them.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:26 AM  
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippy View Post
I was trying to figure out this weekend which dewormer works best for bots once they are ingested..so in reading boxes at the local store..I think the zimecterin gold is the only one that actually states on the box that they get rid of them once ingested.
The others deal w/ strongles, pinworms and such.
We too have lots of bots..I've been scraping them off, but suspect I need to deworm them for it, since this year they seem to have WAY more then usual, I want to make sure the dewormer I buy will take care of any inside them.
I'm pretty sure Ivermectin-based wormers (as well as moxidectin-based ones) take care of internal bots. So plain Zimectrin will work -- you don't need the "gold" part for bots -- that's for tapeworms.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:35 AM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishing_trex View Post
I'm pretty sure Ivermectin-based wormers (as well as moxidectin-based ones) take care of internal bots. So plain Zimectrin will work -- you don't need the "gold" part for bots -- that's for tapeworms.

You are correct.

Also, you are not going to be infected by the bot flies attacking your horse, cascy. There are bot flies that infest people but they are in central and south America, not Arkansas. At least not yet.

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:40 AM  
Pasture Pet

Yup, fishing trex is right..

I looked at that link you posted Jules.. now I am going to be afraid of every little bug bite.. Eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwww...

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:22 PM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbarmranch View Post
I need to try this.. they are bad here this year.. Hmmmmmmmm - something new - I like it..

I am not going to lie, they will collect dirt ( the oil) and oh yea this is the really important part stay away from there nose while and directly after spraying...the apple cider makes them blow hard!

However, I have never seen a richer color to my guys coats...I think it is acting as a sun protectant as well.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition