Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2008, 03:14 PM  
Yearling Member

Flakey dry skin on a horse

We rescued a mare about a month ago, and she has the grossest dry skin and hair. She is losing alot of her hair because it was dead and unhealthy do to poor nutrition. This mare is about 250+ lbs underweight when we got her but gaining slowly. My question is does anyone have good results with bathing with anything that helps with dry skin? My husband is a small animal vet and I have medicated shampoo for a dog. I tried it on one of our goats about 6 months ago and had great results. Would you try that? Any suggestions? She is a bit itchy and very sensative on the dry skin areas which is mostly on her very boney back.
ARSPSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:01 PM  
Yearling Member

I like mane and tail medicated shampoo. I don't think the dog shampoo would hurt the horse at all though!
RebaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:24 AM  
Coming two

It wont hurt to bath her but the most important thing will be feeding her up and getting her healthy from the inside out. Also horses with large parasite loads will get bad coats and skin. But de worm very slowly as you dont want to purge her all at once or she could colic etc.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:43 PM  
Bombproof Member

Use a gentler dewormer, one that's safe for colts. Don't be surprised if the mare looks worse after she's done but then after about 7 days she should start to improve. You can do her again in 30 days. Fenbendazole is not broad spectrum but it will help considerably.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:08 PM  
Yearling Member

You are so right Slim....I'm dealing with a rescue (picked up 2.5 weeks ago) who scored about a 1 maybe a low, low 2 on the Henneke scale. After consulting with my vet, we used a 1/2 dose of wormer, with the other 1/2 scheduled in 1 month from the first. Then, in one more month, she will go onto the normal worming schedule with my other horses. She continued to look pretty rotten for just about a week after worming and now is beginning to pick up considerably.

I have heard stories of horses reacting very poorly to shampoos designed for other animals. You might try just a small area first to make sure you don't get an adverse reaction. But, something medicated for horses sure might be the way to go. I've seen some really thin, thin horses that haven't lost hair. I would be worried she might be packing a fungus or some type of crud like rain rot. Could your husband run a culture on it?? She'll certainly feel better after a bath and lots of loving. Bless you for saving her!!!
Tobiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:06 PM  
Coming two

I wonder if she has lice or mites? I would check for bugs, then give her a medicated shampoo. Maybe a vitamin shot to boost her immune system?
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:13 PM  
Yearling Member

>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
I wonder if she has lice or mites? I would check for bugs, then give her a medicated shampoo. Maybe a vitamin shot to boost her immune system?

Doesnt appear to be any kind of bug... and she has already had a vitamin boost shot. But thanks for the suggestion
ARSPSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition