Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2008, 06:44 PM  
Long Yearling

Send a message via AIM to equine.trailrider Send a message via Yahoo to equine.trailrider
Metamucil vs. Sand Clear

Since Psyllium Husk is the active ingredient in Sand Clear and Metamucil, can Metamucil be used in place of Sand Clear for horses. The cost is so much less for the Metamucil!
equine.trailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:50 PM  
Long Yearling

According to the Equine nutritionist at a seminar I had. It is not cost efficient. Takes a lot more than Sand Clear. I just read an article (I think it might be in America's Horse, I will have to look!) this month about it. Psyllium is the only proven thing that works. Metamucil is the same but takes a lot more since made for a human. That was the condensed version.
www.wfquarterhorses.com
Training horses is a constant learning experience. We will never know it all!

Last edited by Wendy F : 08-14-2008 at 07:42 PM.
Wendy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:21 PM  
Bombproof Member

I have always used Sand Clear on my horses. Its made for Equines unlike Metamucil.

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:23 PM  
Bombproof Member

I've heard the same thing. It would take so much Metamucil to do what the reccommended amount of Sand Clear does.
PS. Different equine companies make an equivilent product, and oft times it's less expensive than Sand Clear..., For example, United Vet Equine has their own version.
I have a 10 lb container out in the barn, b/c my guy WON"T touch the stuff.
You can't even trick him by mixing it with his grain, he'll eat AROUND every little pellet, and leave the psyllum in his feed tub. He's TOO SMART for his own good !!
Redboy
redboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:36 PM  
Pasture Pet

My horses did that with the Metamucil, which I thought was odd. You would think it would be sweeter! I definitely found Sand Clear to be more cost effective, considering how my Metamucil was needed.

Also, I really don't like the thought of giving my horses Aspertame (in Metamucil). It gives me headaches, it might them too, and it causes cancer (as does virtually everything else, I know...)
Carri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:42 PM  
Weanling Member

We feed Horseshine and it says that it takes the place of psyllium
walkerfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:50 PM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redboy View Post

I have a 10 lb container out in the barn, b/c my guy WON"T touch the stuff.

My mini will eat around it, so I crunch up granola bars and put it in his grain along w/ the sand clear. He eats it fine that way. My other gelding eats it with no problem.

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:11 PM  
Long Yearling

Neighbor called me the other day. His horse was eating the Sand clear but not the grain! Too funny!
www.wfquarterhorses.com
Training horses is a constant learning experience. We will never know it all!
Wendy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:22 PM  
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerfarms View Post
We feed Horseshine and it says that it takes the place of psyllium

Yep, and it lasts a heck of alot longer and has more benefits than sand clear. I dont use bran mash unless its a treat and dont use sand clear either. No colic in almost 22 yrs of horse ownership and self care. My first two horses (a POA he died of old age and a BLM Mustang who is 25 and a therapy horse) got colic. The POA had a strongle colic and when he was kept on continues wormer, he never had a problem after that. The other got it once as he flipped his feed out of the bucket all the time no matter what I tried. After that, never had it again even with the cribber who Ive had for over 4 years. High fiber grain, free choice quality hay and no problems. I check their poop for sand and its free and clear. Also, my vet told me bran just upsets their stomach and gives them the runs. It also is too high in magnesium

Last edited by PaintsQH : 08-14-2008 at 08:26 PM.
PaintsQH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:46 AM  
Weanling Member

My vet recommends Metamucil. He has a program that he hands out that says to give x amount for x days. (I don't remember the amounts, it's at home in the barn. I'll try to remember to look at it tonight and post it here.)
I buy the Target or WalMart brand, in the biggest container it comes in, and it does seem more cost-effective to me.

jkponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:39 PM  
Halter broke

i use sand clear evey fall on my horses,,, should i use it more often then that? (We do live in a sandy area) Would that be a problem for a horse not to gain weigh too? hhhhmmmmmm,,,,,,,,,
Old 08-15-2008, 12:53 PM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnBum View Post
My mini will eat around it, so I crunch up granola bars and put it in his grain along w/ the sand clear. He eats it fine that way. My other gelding eats it with no problem.
Sometimes I can pour molasses over it, but Red's no fool, he may eat it for a day or 2, but no more, especially not 7 days in a row, after he figures out what tastes funny. I think it's the texture of the pellet. He immediately acts like it feels strange in his mouth, and he's having NONE of that.
Then he gets suspicious, and double checks everything I give him for a few days.
Yep, TOO smart for his own good!! RB

Last edited by redboy : 08-15-2008 at 12:56 PM.
redboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:16 PM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4me View Post
i use sand clear evey fall on my horses,,, should i use it more often then that? (We do live in a sandy area) Would that be a problem for a horse not to gain weigh too? hhhhmmmmmm,,,,,,,,,
My TBs were having a bit of trouble with their weight and their coats weren't that shiny. They were on free choice GOOD grass hay and some grain. They just would not gain and hold the weight. We don't live in a sandy area, but my trainer suggested sand. So I had a vet look at them at a show I was at (our vets out here weren't sure how to diagnose) and she said they had sand.

I put them on a bucket of Sand Clear (3 horses...it lasted I think 10 days) and just a few days after getting started on it, their coats started shedding off the bad stuff and they started holding weight. Now almost 2 weeks later, they're healthy, shiny and holding weight.

So YES,,,,it can effect weight

I'm not so good at the advice...
Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
kellidahorsegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 11:43 PM  
Weanling Member

Just wanted to pop back in, this is my vet's "prescription" for sand removal:
Treatment: Feed 3/4 cup psyllium (Metamucil or Natural Fiber Laxative) twice per day (am & pm) for 2 weeks, then once per day for 7 more days. In 30 days, a mainttenance feeding may be started.
Maintenance: Feed 3/4 cup psyllium once per day for 7 days in a row. Repeat monthly.
According to him, sand can give a horse that ribby, big belly look similar to when they have worms (which was the situation with my mare).

jkponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:08 AM  
Halter broke

Send a message via AIM to RedHotTamale17
Metamucil

I have used both but if you only have 1-2 horses metamucil works just fine. I have too many horses now so it is easier to use the psyllium pellets because it does kind of trick them into thinking its grain, but i have used metamucil for years and it works also.
My vet recommends it, she has said to give 1 cup of metamucil for 7 days 1 once a month. I just dump it in their feed dry. it is best to feed it in a sweet feed since it sticks to that feed better. Sometimes horses don like the orange flavor....so feed the natural flavor. I always feed them in the same spot and if they done eat their grain they dont get anymore until they do! Sounds harsh but it works!
Hope this helps!
RedHotTamale17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition