Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2008, 05:30 PM  
Greenbroke Member
 
BabyMay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,621
Question Swollen Udder - Why?

My new mare, Monet, has a swollen udder. She is not bred. What could cause this? She has had it for a week now. She is in heat. I don't know if that matters or not. She has had one foal, he is now 3. It is swollen enough, that it hangs down some. I will try and take a picture tomarrow.
BabyMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:31 PM  
Pasture Pet
 
Carri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Alpharetta, Georgia
Posts: 14,311
Being in heat can definitely cause that! If it is hot, though, there may be an infection going on, and would need a vet visit. How many days has it been swollen?
Carri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:37 PM  
Greenbroke Member
 
BabyMay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carri View Post
Being in heat can definitely cause that! If it is hot, though, there may be an infection going on, and would need a vet visit. How many days has it been swollen?
I got her a week ago and my daughter said it was swollen than, but I noticed it today. She was still out with her 3 yr old. Do you think she was still letting him nurse? She wouldn't have done that, would she?
BabyMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:40 PM  
Started
 
Sassy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,591
Send a message via MSN to Sassy
How are your flies?? Right now the sand flies and little black flies are bad and they seem to really get at the utters and make them swollen. I put bug spray with vasiline on the teats and utters to prevent some of those nasty bitters from getting at her! Helps some! If no bugs maybe a quick call to your vet would be wise!!
__________________
A horse which stops dead just before a jump and thus propels its rider into a graceful arc provides a splendid excuse for general merriment.
~ DUKE OF ENDINBURGH ~
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:42 PM  
Greenbroke Member
 
BabyMay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
How are your flies?? Right now the sand flies and little black flies are bad and they seem to really get at the utters and make them swollen. I put bug spray with vasiline on the teats and utters to prevent some of those nasty bitters from getting at her! Helps some! If no bugs maybe a quick call to your vet would be wise!!
We have had an awful lot of rain. The mosquitos are really bad. I do fly spray her, just not there. It does seem to be tender, because she doesn't seem to like being touched there. Nothing bad, just stomps foot.
BabyMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:59 PM  
Started
 
knpaints's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,237
If she is in heat thats probably whats causing it.
My 3yr old does this with just about every heat cycle..she gets very swollen around her udders and infront..
once she is out of heat it goes away and my sweet girl comes back lol
__________________
Kris~
knpaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:28 PM  
Greenbroke Member
 
BabyMay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by knpaints View Post
If she is in heat thats probably whats causing it.
My 3yr old does this with just about every heat cycle..she gets very swollen around her udders and infront..
once she is out of heat it goes away and my sweet girl comes back lol
Thanks. I just didn't know if horses could get breast cancer.
BabyMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:08 PM  
Weanling Member
 
TikiGator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 470
JUST went thru this with one of my boarder's mares. she had a swollen udder as well and it was mastitis. very quickly escalated into an infection. I would get the vet out ASAP and get her on some antibiotics.

don't wait, the sooner you can get her started on them the better off she'll be.
__________________
Laura at Tikigator Farm
Naples, FL
www.tikigatorfarm.com
TikiGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:12 PM  
Greenbroke Member
 
BabyMay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by TikiGator View Post
JUST went thru this with one of my boarder's mares. she had a swollen udder as well and it was mastitis. very quickly escalated into an infection. I would get the vet out ASAP and get her on some antibiotics.

don't wait, the sooner you can get her started on them the better off she'll be.
Ok, calling the vet in the morning. Thanks
BabyMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:18 PM  
Seasoned
 
cook1745's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 4,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyMay View Post
I got her a week ago and my daughter said it was swollen than, but I noticed it today. She was still out with her 3 yr old. Do you think she was still letting him nurse? She wouldn't have done that, would she?

Yes she would let him nurse if they were never seperated she would let him nurse forever. My mare has a yearling she will still nurse. We are currently tring to wean now that things are settled. It has been two days and with a little adjustment I think we finally have it worked out and she is dring up.

So YES the mare will nurse a foal forever if aloud.
__________________

Izzy my walking dream!!!
cook1745 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

  Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swollen udder-one side only appynana Health & Nutrition 8 11-19-2006 11:17 PM
Udder Kaious(sp?) Kelly4NC Health & Nutrition 1 08-14-2006 01:46 PM
Washing Udder? Kelly4NC Health & Nutrition 20 07-29-2006 06:43 AM
Udder question QuarterCowGirl Breeding & Genetics 3 04-24-2006 03:38 PM
Advice on this Udder??? Burnttimber General Horse Advice 13 03-24-2006 07:38 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:14 PM.


Board Powered by vBuletin ® Copyright © 2000 - 2007 Jel Soft

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0