Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2008, 03:34 AM  
Greenbroke Member

How is your boy doing? What did the vet say?
BabyMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:05 AM  
Weanling Member

So the vet was out yesterday to examine Apollo and he has an infection, which I think we all kind of figured. He had a temperature of 40.6, which is really high for him, as his normal temp is 36.6. She sedated him, cleaned the entire sheath area and original incision area, which has completely closed up and healed, so we don’t know where the infection is coming from… She put him on antibiotics for 7 days and bute for 3 – 5 days depending on the swelling and cold hosing as much as he will let me. If the swelling doesn’t go away, she will come back in a week and reopen him up depending on how bad it still is. She administer the anti-inflammatory directly into his blood vein last night and after 30 minutes the swelling was already starting to come down a bit. So now I provide him with the best TLC over the next week and hopefully this will all go away!! Thank you everyone for your support!!!
Old 06-18-2008, 10:08 AM  
Bombproof Member

Glad to hear you got an answer and is on the mending trail !! Extra carrots for them special patients

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:09 AM  
Bombproof Member

Sending my healing thoughts and prayers he is back to normal and feeling better in no time.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:34 AM  
Pasture Pet

Lets hope the antibotics and bute do the trick! I have my fingers crossed for you!

Night Fire Ranch
Gotta Love Duns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:21 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Hope all goes well with your boy. Things like this can get scarey. Glad the Vet came out to see him and gave you antibiotecs for him. I am sure you will give him extra hugs and apples to help ease his pain.
BabyMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:28 PM  

Hope the antibiotics work real fast and get him back to normal.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:30 PM  
Pasture Pet

Hopefully all of that medication and TLC will cure him quickly - prayers still headed that way to help..

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:33 PM  
Halter broke

not normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyGirl View Post
My yearly, Apollo, was gelded on June 2nd. The whole procedure went very smoothly, no problems. Only a little swelling, kept him moving around every day twice a day and after a week, everything was looking great. Last night, he was absolutely fine, no swelling, nothing!!!

Well this morning, I went out to feed the horses and open the gate to let them into the grazing field and Apollo was laying down and wouldn't get up, so I walked over to him, pressure him to get up and he does, but doesn't really want to move and had a real sad face, so I was immediately freaking out trying to see what was wrong with him, as I was examining him, I looked underneath him and OMG, the whole area is Extremely swollen!!! He can barely walk!! Is this normal to happen after a full two weeks of normal recovery? I called my vet and she is coming out to the farm at 3:30 this afternoon to examine him, as I am afraid he is infected, but how could he get infected 2 weeks later?

Any ideas?
no it is not normal. the vet should have told you to cold hose him 2x daily, to keep the incisions open and draining. and you should have been told to give him SMZs daily to prevfent infection.
call the vet immedately. he can die. if you had been cold hosing him 2x daily, you would have noticed if there was any swelling right away. and the SMZs are also to prevent infection.
call the vet now. not tomorrow.
cloudyandcallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:35 PM  
Halter broke

oops

didn't read the whole thread.
are you cold hosing? 2x a day. will keep the incisions draining.
good luck.
vets here give SMZs for 2 weeks or 10 days after the gelding.
cloudyandcallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:52 AM  
Pasture Pet

Some vets also excise the extra scrotal tissue so the drain field is opened up and I have had MUCH less issues since going that route. Hosing and handwalking are the ticket-I agree.
They also do not heal with that unsightly "coin purse" effect twist their legs.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:09 PM  
Bombproof Member

A neighbors colt's incision had sealed with pus and the poor beggar was swollen to his ankles. The vet washed the sack with warm saline water to open the incision and permit drainage. The vet told her to put the horse on pasture as walking would help with drainage, not stand in a standing stall. That did the trick, it cleared up nicely.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:38 PM  
Halter broke

My guy swelled up pretty bad about a week and a half or so after he was gelded. It was a rough gelding and the vet had a very hard time getting him gelded. It took a very long time and 3 rounds of sedative to finally get it done. We were expecting infection just due to the circumstances. Anyway, We had the vet out and he had to re-open him up to drain the infection. We cold hosed him twice a day and lunged him atleast once a day until he sweated. We also had him on tablets (not sure of the name) for 14 days.

I hope that your guy is alright.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:00 PM  
Weanling Member

Glad to hear the vet thinks things will go well. Good luck to you and to Faceman and keep us posted!
ScootinAlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:21 AM  
Started

When JC was gelded, the vet told me NOT to spray the incision site but I could spray his legs and around the site. He said that he did not want the blood clot to be dislodged or it could set up for infection and more bleeding. He said to keep him up until the anethesia effect was gone then turn him out so that he could move around. After 3 days he could go out with the herd. He also put a dissolving stitch in each inginual band to make sure it held. He also followed up with a tetanus booster and one long acting PCN shot.

Good luck with your boy.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Ferronsgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:30 AM  
Pasture Pet

OK NOT arguing with your Vet or you FG..the prevailing theory is GEBNERALLY not to spray but hose to keep the site open to allow for drainage.
The problems with the gelds is generally from the area closing up too fast.
I have not had a Vet throw sutures in unless there was an unforeseen bleed-except on donks.
I do not know why but they are tougher to geld it seems.
The Vet I worked for hated gelding them-had more issues with them.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:27 PM  
Started

My vet had just come from a inservice about new gelding treatments when he told me that. He is one of many Texans vet. I was living in Arlington, Texas at that time. That was over a year ago. Now when he did Rookie, two years earlier he had a special drill that was the newest and greatest treatment. Yes I did assist with both procedures.

Rookie I could hose(spray) down but not JC. He said if I felt like I needed to clean him to use hibacleans(sp) and water and gently wipe the area down. So there was big changes in just two years.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Ferronsgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:52 PM  
Seasoned

This sounds similar to what happened to one of mine after gelding.
He was looking well for the first 7 days afterwards and then it seemed as if was getting more swelling instead of less, and I suspected he had an infection-I had worried that something was wrong w/ mine because he became a little off in his eating and was more mellow then usual, and finally, had an odd smell to him. I took him in, and sure enough, as I suspected he had an infection. Guess it was pretty bad to, if I would of waited any longer, the vet said I could of lost him, as it was fast growing. In any case, she said for a small percentage of horses, the flesh heals faster then it should, so then it can't drain and infection sets in. Mine stayed at the vet's for a 10 days so that she could lance it each day to let it drain in addition to giving him antibiotics. She said I could of done it myself, but I didn't think I was up for it.

Good Luck w/ yours!
Old 06-21-2008, 08:25 PM  
Pasture Pet

A drill for a castration?
Well we just do it the old fashioned way around here no drills-so no drilling. Just those crunching emasculators.
Interesting do you have a link to the new procedure?
Old 06-21-2008, 11:12 PM  
Started

Hope your guy gets better soon. Our vet does like TMom said, he cuts the piece of skin that is in the middle inbetween the incisions. That allows it to drain and there is very little swelling. We have gelded several and had absolutely no problems with any that this vet has done. He does it the old fashioned way and has been for many, many years. I don't know who I will have do it when this vet retires....I hate to think about it. I have had two nearly bleed to death that another vet did (both at different times).
lopintoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition