Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2008, 10:45 AM  
Halter broke

Feeding a draft horse

I may be getting a draft horse and I was curious about their nutritional needs. The horse in question is a ten year old Belgian X gelding in good health and good body condition. He would be on approximately five acres with one other horse with daily hay and grain rations. How much of both would he need to keep him in good shape in addition to forage?

I know you're all thinking, "Why doesn't she just ask his owner?" Well, the lady that is currently keeping him doesn't know a lick about him. She saved him and a mare from a killpen and isn't especially horse savvy, her husband has been in charge of feeding and from what I gather they're on a little land with two round bales. Now, I can't fault her because they're both doing well but it'll be a whole different setup if he comes here.

Answers, please, my dearest HT friends.

"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." - Oscar Wilde
OhBaby,Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:08 AM  
Kid Safe

Most drafts will do great with just pasture or hay unless they are at hard work.

If you do find concentrated feed a necessity, the higher fat feeds are better than the sweet stuff.

taelesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:10 AM  
Coming two

When I had drafts they ate less pellets (feed) than our horses. Keep in mind that we did paper chases with them so they were ridden. They did, however, go through hay like no tomorrow!
Old 06-08-2008, 11:28 AM  
Halter broke

As far as work is concerned, I am purchasing him as a trail horse, so he would probably be ridding between ten and fifteen hours a week. Not anything heavy duty :]

Thanks, guys!

"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." - Oscar Wilde
OhBaby,Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:12 PM  
Long Yearling

Send a message via AIM to equine.trailrider Send a message via Yahoo to equine.trailrider
You will want to read up on EPSM in draft horses. You need to educate yourself on the way drafts metabolize differently than saddle horses. My Belgian, as most drafts, is an easy keeper. You feed hay based on their body weight. My Belgian is prone to getting too fat! Be careful.
equine.trailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:27 PM  
Yearling Member

With Moon he is on free choice hay 24/7/365 because my pasture is essentially a big dry lot. He also gets a few lbs of safe&Sound each day and 1 cup of plain cleaned oats in the PM. If he is in a state of gain I cut the feed according to his needs at the time.

If you can, stay away from molasses feeds. They really have too much sugar for most 'normal' horses but draft horses too. Drafts do best on a high fat low carb diet. Safe & Sound has no molasses and is a bit higher than fat then some regular feeds around here so I've found it to work perfectly for it and I haven't met a horse who turns their nose to it.

Most drafts have slow metabolisms and giving them as much time to move around works for them best. Keep them cooped up in a stall too much and at times you are asking for digestive problems as well as stocking up in the legs.

also as a heads up, the thicker bodies and thicker muscle mass makes it hard for them to cool off in hot weather. Moon stands in the shade this time of year and is covered head to toe in sweat or dry white crusty salt from sweating so much. There have been days he will literally have a puddle under him. the only time I can work him is early day or late evening.

Last edited by Rudy : 06-08-2008 at 06:45 PM.
Rudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:37 PM  
Long Yearling

Send a message via AIM to equine.trailrider Send a message via Yahoo to equine.trailrider
Ditto on the low starch/sugar feeds! Also, stay away from corn at all costs! Not good for any horse but especially drafts! There are plenty of choices out there.
I really like the Tribute feeds from Kalmbach feeds. There's also Nutrena Safe Choice, Buckeye Safe 'N Easy, Triple Crown Low Starch. I give Sunshine a small handful of Tribute Kalm Ultra, just enough to flavor her supplements.
equine.trailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:04 PM  
Pasture Pet

Oh I agree about the no molasis feeds. I just recently aquired a draft horse and it is a complete no go on that. He is now on hay, low starch pellet and a safe starch forage. He is underweight because of injuries to his tendons, but coming up nicely now.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition