Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2008, 04:37 AM  
Yearling Member

Just a sidenote...Believe it or not, I once had a TB that was a really HARD keeper. We tried everything, he was only five yrs old, and healthy otherwise. I finally figured out that when he had PLENTY of COLD water he did better. Of course he always had water in front of him, but he would only drink it when it was cold I installed one of those automatic waterers, and he put on weight very quickly. I guess every horse has their own quirk!
Jadelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:27 AM  
Kid Safe

Send a message via AIM to ThorArb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gids_mama View Post
anyone ever use DUMOR PLEASURE 12% SWEET FEED!?!?!

ANYONE OFFER ANY COMMENT ABOUT DUMOR FEED AT ALL??!
WELL THANKS
LOVE TO HEAR WHAT YOU GOT TO SAY ABOUT IT..
I used to use this feed. I was not very happy with it. I had to feed a ton of it just to keep my horses looking good and healthy. It may work for some but did not for my purposes. So I've switched my horses to Legends Grow & Perform. I barely have to feed them as much and they all are fat with shiny coats!

Brittany
Old 06-05-2008, 01:23 PM  
Yearling Member

I don't like the Dumor feeds either. There are a lot of by-products (fillers) in it, so you have to feed more of it and add supplements, so you kill any cost savings. Purina Sr. works GREAT on my hard keeping picky-eating 18 yr old QH. I use the Purina Horsemen's Edge Pellet on my easy keeping Pasos - 1/2 lb twice a day and they're pig fat and shiney.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:36 PM  
SoCo

I get my guy the DuMore cookies and he'll stand on his head for them.
I tried their weight builder and he lost weight on it. (maybe I should try it)
So I was hesitate to try the feed.
He gets the Purina now and has filled out nicely and is getting a shine on him too.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:39 PM  
Newborn Member

Dumor Feed

I feed Dumor Stable Energy. It has no molasses and lower concentration of complex fibers. It reduces the risk of founder and colic plus the horses look great on it. A friend has a mare on the Dumor Pleasure feed and she seems to like it but I am not a fan of sweet feeds. I have found Dumor in every Tractor Supply from WV to OK. Anyway, there you have it.
badguybuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:45 PM  
Weanling Member

Dumor feed is great if you don't need anything high in fat. It's only about 3%. We've used it in the past but for a pelleted feed it's awful sweet with molasses. The only complete Equine Senior feed out there (that you don't have to feed any type of hay) with is Dynasty Equine Senior feed - it's pelleted though and some horses don't like pelleted feed. We've had GREAT luck with it. If we have a horse that comes in that doesn't like the pelleted we mix it with a texturized feed, add bran and omegatin as needed - soy oil works great also and is cheap and easy to find. Coca soy oil also works wonderful as it's 98% fat it's more per gallon than the soy oil but you feed alot less. Good Luck
Old 01-27-2009, 08:39 AM  
Newborn Member

Here's a link to everything you need to know. If I were you and you are having a good response to what you are feeding I would continue feeding it. The fat level in this feed is too low for a hard keeper. They call this Senior Feed?

Good Luck,

Janet

http://www.frontroyalcoop.com/extras/ssctsc.pdf Page 6 is Senior Feed.
jashbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:06 PM  
Newborn Member

I tried Dumor Sweet Performance which is a 14% sweet feed for my miniature halter horses that are on moderate work in the roundpen, hot walker ext...did NOT like how they looked. Lost muscle tone...dull coat, this was all just after about a month.

I have never really cared for any of the feeds at TSC really, platform or dumor.
LeeanaHack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:12 PM  
Newborn Member

DUMOR Equine Sr

I have a 30 year old QH who is a hard keeper. She does extremely well on DUMOR Equine Sr. Everyone is surprised at how she looks, her weight is very good and during the summer her black coat sparkels. I supplement this with a good vitamin and probiotics with enzymes as she tends to scour during the winter months. She has free choice hay during the winter months and is on good pasture the rest of the year. I don't have any complaints with this feed.
EQ Spirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:34 AM  
Newborn Member

Exclamation Response to Gids_mamma;123991

Dear Gids_mama;1239911,

At the horse farm where I used to work, we had a 35 (now 36) year old Arabian gelding. His owner fed him tripple crown senior feed. He got around 5 lbs a day and has kept weight on. He has no molars anymore, they all fell out too. The feed disolves in the horses mouth so you can be sure your horse will get all the required nutrients. Give it a shot and see what happens.
RevelationArabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:47 PM  
Newborn Member

Thumbs up Dumor Feeds

Personally, I prefer feeds from FRM, which is only in the southeast four states of Florida, Georgia, Alabama and South Carolina. It's cheaper than Dumor and also better quality. It's formulated by Kentucky Equine Research, checking into what's what for horses. The one I feed is Cool Balance which is kind of similar to Dumor's Equistages. With Cool Balance, you feed according to what the horse does. Light, Moderate, Heavy work, Broodmare, Weanlings, Yearlings, Stallions or simple maintenance of horses. If you are in one of those four states and wish to check out FRM, or even check it out of curiosity, the website is www.frmfeeds.com I preffer FRM, but that's me. Dumor is fifty cents more and has less of certain vitamins/fats/fibers/what have you than FRM. Or at least, that's in my area.
Komala is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition