Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2008, 08:50 PM  
Seasoned

Power pack wormer question

Okay everyone, I'm sure this has probably been asked before but...
I have 5 horses. I worm them every 2 months as that's what we were advised to do by my vet. I did the last round in April so they are due again in 2 weeks. After being wormed in April, 4 of the 5 horses started to lose their winter coats and slick out. I have 1 that still is a bit scruffy looking and he has dandruff (or something like that). A gal that we know (who used to train and groom at a barn) was out tonight and told me that she thinks Rocket has worms and/or parasites and that I should do a power pack on him. I've never had to do this. Advice? Input? Anything??? Would any of you recommend this? I had the vet out last year to look at him and she did his teeth. When she was there, she said he was healthy but is it possible that the last round of wormer just did not work on him?
Old 05-21-2008, 10:05 PM  
Yearling Member

1. Are you using the same type of wormer everytime? NOT name brand, but type, i.e. ivermectin? If you are, you need to be alternating, worms grow an immunity to some types of wormers, specifically ivermectins.

2. The type of power pack I hope was suggested to you was a Panacur Powerpack? I have experience in using this type of method. I had a filly last year that just wasn't shedding out, and was found very wormy. Although didn't appear that much.

a. You need to consult your vet when doing this type of method. As, you are going to be using a tube of Panacur a day for 5 days. When doing this, if your horse is wormy, possibly very wormy, you could cause an impaction because of how many worms he will be passing at one time.

b. IMO, this sounds like something you should think about doing. If your horse isn't shedding out, and there might possibly be a chance that he is wormy, then go for it. It isn't going to cause an adverse effect if you do this process and he isn't reaaaaalllllllyyyy wormy. But, in this same effect, you could also do a fecal float on him first, and let your vet determine if you should. Hopefully you have a way to collect a sample from him, knowing its his.

c. If your horse isn't shedding, this is something I would look into. If he is shedding, he could just be late or slow. We still have a few horses at our barn that are suffering from a thicker hair...they aren't on regular turnout, etc, and so aren't shedding as quickly as the rest of the herd.

Hope my information helped.
Amjzimm19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:17 PM  
Seasoned

Amjzimm19, your info does help! Thank you. Now to answer your questions.

Yes, I do rotate the wormers and it is by the active ingredient not by name.

The power pack that was suggested was Panacur. I was planning on talking to my vet. I just know there is a wealth of knowledge on HT and figured I'd turn here first. If people on here said No, don't do it - I would leave it at that.

I'm not rushing into this. It is something I will think about. I can get a fecal from him and be certain it is his. He gets let loose every night for his grain and to roam around the yard so...give him about 30 mins and I have my sample.

It's not so much his lack of shedding/slicking out like the others that concerns me as it is the dandruff that he seems to have. Could it just be dry skin or is it a sign of something more? He's also not as peppy as normal. He has energy but not as much as normal.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:25 PM  
Yearling Member

IMO, I would do the fecal examine, and talk to your vet about the Panacur. It sounds a lot like Itsey, I had been assured she had been wormed very regular before I bought her, and I'm sure that it was the same wormer every time. (Great people, just, not always knowledgeable.) She had NO energy, would lay in her stall and sleep all day long, which, don't get me wrong, she doesn't always have energy now, BUT, to be in a stall every day, except for an hour for class, I don't expect my 2 year old to be sleeping. She was dandruffy, icky, hairy, just not pretty. Not pretty in the don't look good sense, and the young sense. (lol).

I would get him tested, and go from there. Sounds to me, that you would be right in doing the Pancur powerpack. I only had to spend right around 35 bucks to do it, and it turned out wonderfully. Although, we had to be very careful about the colic, as she was extremely wormy. But, I doubt this is something you are going to have to be particularly worried about.

Once you do the powerpack, you will see a big change, very soon. It won't be something you'll have to wait around for. Itsey started looking better, filling out right, and shedding in a few weeks.
Amjzimm19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:19 AM  
Coming two

A fecal exam won't show if there are encysted worms-they don't shed eggs. The PowerPac is a double dose of Panacur (or Safeguard) once a day for 5 days. You can use 2 of the regular tubes or the double dose tubes that come with the name brand PowerPac. It sounds like a good idea for your horse.
gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:42 AM  
Seasoned

Send a message via Yahoo to Diamond_Y
I would only recommend doing this under vet supervision.

We bought two weanlings that just did not grow like the rest of our's and they had a cough, so we had the vet come look at them. She recommended the following and it was completely successful:

Day 1: 1.87% ivermectin
Day 2: Anthylecide
Day 3: Zimectrin Gold
Day 4: Safeguard
Day 5: Exodus
Day 12: Quest

I would have never tried this without her supervision.
Diamond_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:32 PM  
Seasoned

Don't worry DiamondY, I'd never dream of doing this powerpac without the vet saying it was okay. I was looking for input about it and to see what others experiences have been. For now, I'm going to go and get him some Quest Plus or Strongid and try that. The last wormer I did was an invermectin base. I'll see if that helps him out at all. If not, the vet will have to see him. He's not in horrible shape. Just has the dry coat and he has lost a few pounds.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I am taking it all in!
Old 05-22-2008, 01:38 PM  
Kid Safe

For me, if he is sluggish , has dry skin, and is not shedding out, but is wormed regularly, and good weight, then I would not suspect worms, but would pull blood and check his thyroid gland. Then on the other hand, he couldbe just late shedding and have dry skin from the coat plus the weather.

"Animals are such agreeable friends--they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms..." --George Eliot

In Loving Memory of Spikey...My Best Friend...I Miss You RIP 1988-2009
kanoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:42 PM  
Seasoned

See, that's just it...it could be so many different things. It hasn't been very warm here yet so part of me thinks he could just be holding on to that coat. This all started because someone accused me of not taking proper care of him...so I turned here for advice. I got a bit defensive with the girl and then figured I'd come here and see what others said when I explained about the dry coat and slight loss of weight.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:02 PM  
Kid Safe

For her to assume it is worms is a bit presumptive. I wish I had that kind of crystal ball. Talk to your vet and see what he recommends. The Power Pack won't hurt but why give it and go to the expense if it's not necessary.

"Animals are such agreeable friends--they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms..." --George Eliot

Old 05-22-2008, 07:32 PM  
Seasoned

I thought the same thing. He was due to be wormed again the first week of June...I gave him a dose of Strongid today. We'll give that a few days and see where we're at. I snapped a few pictures of him tonight too...I'll upload them in a bit and post.

I guess the part that got me is the girl that accused me of not taking proper care of my horses had 2 taken away from her. I do agree that Rocket is a bit underweight but I have 4 other horses in the pasture that look fine. Wouldn't a normal person assume that they were being taken care of? It just flustered me. I also picked up some Calf Manna today. We'll see if that helps him pick up some weight.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:59 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
Have you used a wormer to deworm for Tapeworms?

Otherwise if it isn't worms, he might just need a good fat supplement.

This was a rough winter on horses in this area. Poor quality hay, grain and a long rough winter.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:14 PM  
Seasoned

Yes, I did use a wormer for tapeworms. And it was a rough winter. We had hay but the quality was not great.

Here's some pictures from today.

Last edited by thumpersgirl : 05-04-2009 at 02:32 PM.
thumpersgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 05:18 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
He doesn't really "look" wormy to me.

If he were my horse I'd get his teeth checked, and then put him on a higher fat grain/supplement, maybe even some senior feed with a top dressing of something like Empower or another rice bran type pellet.

We were lucky enough (thanks to great friends) to find a source of some great alfalfa hay at a really cheap price this winter so our horses have the opposite problem.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 05:20 PM  
Kid Safe

My first thought would not be worms or lack of care. He has a coat but it is relatively shiny. His topline is lacking. Is he getting a probiotic? Does he get grain? Or just hay. Maybe increase his grain, add a good probiotic, maybe try Senior feed and see if that helps, it sounds like you have covered your bases worming wise.

You should not take it so seriously when people make comments like that, just let it go in one ear and out the other, you know whether or not you take care of your horses.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:52 PM  
Seasoned

Beth, I had his teeth done last fall. They have been looked at since then also and are okay. Right now, he's on a supplement called Cal Pak 40 which is mainly fat and he's also getting Calf Manna. I just started the Calf Manna a couple days ago.

Kanoo, no probios at the moment. I was giving them to him up until a couple weeks ago. He gets grained every day. They also have free choice hay and whatever grass they can find in the pasture. He's always had the top line issue (since I got him anyway). Believe it or not, I've put weight on him since I got him.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition