Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2008, 07:51 AM  
Started
 
horseloverinVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Central, Virginia
Posts: 2,654
How many times a day do you feed?

I'm curious how many times a day people feed. I feed twice daily. I was speaking with a trainer about my OTTB, she acted as though I was a complete criminal for not feeding him 3 meals a day. He had a weight issue but has gained and maintained very well. I've never had a problem with my horses but she really made me feel like I wasn't doing something right. In the summer I used to only feed once a day and never had weight/health issues then either. I work and it's just not feasible for me to feed 3 times a day...does anyone else think thats wrong?
__________________
You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
horseloverinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:59 AM  
Greenbroke Member
 
calicocalgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lewistown, Pa
Posts: 3,592
I feed 2x. If I have a horse with a weight problem , I do TRY to feed 3x.
calicocalgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:00 AM  
Halter broke
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Edwardsville, Kansas
Posts: 195
I have several horses here, and it just depends on the horse. Some of them get NO feed right now, since they are entirely too heavy. Some get fed once a day, some twice a day, and I have a new one here (a rescue) that is getting fed 3x a day.

What works for one horse, may be too much for another, so you have to figure out a good balance according to that individual horses needs.
LovesEveryHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:01 AM  
Started
 
horseloverinVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Central, Virginia
Posts: 2,654
The thing is, he doesn't have a weight issue. He did at one time but is now great. She wasn't even just referring to him, she was just saying horses in general need 3 meals a day, and she was completely awstruck that I didn't feed mine 3 times.
__________________
You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
horseloverinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:03 AM  
Duckie0370
 
Posts: n/a
Nakai gets a small handful of grain in the morning and evening. He also has access to lush pasture all day, so I'm actually watching him to make sure he doesn't get too much of the fresh grass so he doesn't inflate like a blimp!

When I had my OTTB, I fed her 2-3x daily with weight gain supplement and free choice hay. The pasture's were hardly a source of any nutrition. She had a bout of internal bleeding in may 2006 from an unknown source that was so bad she was in mid atlantic equine facility for 10 days and subsequently ended up with stress-induced laminitis. She lost about 100-120lbs, and after than during her stall rest and the months after I fed her 3-4x a day with hay being given every time someone or myself walked past her stall or small paddock. She gained weight back at a nice rate when doing this.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:08 AM  
Halter broke
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Edwardsville, Kansas
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseloverinVA View Post
The thing is, he doesn't have a weight issue. He did at one time but is now great. She wasn't even just referring to him, she was just saying horses in general need 3 meals a day, and she was completely awstruck that I didn't feed mine 3 times.
You might also take into consideration how much the horse was/is being worked. The more a horse works, the more nutrition they need to maintain a healthy weight.
LovesEveryHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:08 AM  
Started
 
horseloverinVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Central, Virginia
Posts: 2,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckie0370 View Post
Nakai gets a small handful of grain in the morning and evening. He also has access to lush pasture all day, so I'm actually watching him to make sure he doesn't get too much of the fresh grass so he doesn't inflate like a blimp!

When I had my OTTB, I fed her 2-3x daily with weight gain supplement and free choice hay. The pasture's were hardly a source of any nutrition. She had a bout of internal bleeding in may 2006 from an unknown source that was so bad she was in mid atlantic equine facility for 10 days and subsequently ended up with stress-induced laminitis. She lost about 100-120lbs, and after than during her stall rest and the months after I fed her 3-4x a day with hay being given every time someone or myself walked past her stall or small paddock. She gained weight back at a nice rate when doing this.
My horses are on lush pasture all day. They get hay if/when needed in the summer. Weight isn't an issue with any of them, except my appy is a porker. I've never fed 3 times except for special cases. She just made me feel like I was wrong for not feeding 3 meals a day.
__________________
You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
horseloverinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:09 AM  
Long Yearling
 
carmor07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: tn.
Posts: 1,223
I dont feed my older horses anything unless bred.They all have plenty of grass in the summer and get way to fat.Babies get 2 scoops of mare and foal feed a day till a yr.Mommas get 1 big scoop of mare and foal till weaning the babies.All the grass they can stuff down their throat
carmor07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:12 AM  
Weanling Member
 
Whitehorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 432
I feed grain twice per day and hay 3 times per day... feeding more hay in the morning and at night than I do in the middle of the day. It works out for my gang...
__________________
"If your horse says "no", you either asked the wrong question, or asked the question wrong."
Pat Parelli
Whitehorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:12 AM  
Yearling Member
 
Burnttimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Strathmore, AB
Posts: 618
I feed our hard keeping TB Stallion 4 x daily and free choice hay. Mares that are lactating - get free choice hay/pasture and grain 2x daily. Everything changes come winter, but that is how spring & summer go here on our farm!
__________________

Burnt Timber Paint Horse Co.
http://www.burnttimber.com
\"Breeding the best to create better!\"
Burnttimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:18 AM  
Started
 
FLQuarterhorse39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: MacClenny, Florida
Posts: 2,107
OUr horses get 6lbs of grain per day, but it's in one feeding. They are on bermuda grass 24/7. In the winter we give them round bales of hay under our shade thing.
__________________

Rest In Peace My Sweet Angel:
Zoey: April 10, 2009-July 19, 2012
Proud United States Navy wife
FLQuarterhorse39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:20 AM  
Pasture Pet
 
cameo05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: In my own world
Posts: 12,404
I feed 2x day. I work a full time job and work 20 miles from my home. There is no way except on weekends I could feed 3 plus times a day. Mine are on pasture all day and after feeding times.
__________________
Life is a bed of roses, until you meet up with thorns.
cameo05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:21 AM  
Started
 
horseloverinVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Central, Virginia
Posts: 2,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameo05 View Post
I feed 2x day. I work a full time job and work 20 miles from my home. There is no way except on weekends I could feed 3 plus times a day. Mine are on pasture all day and after feeding times.
Thats almost me exactly....well I feel better then.

Like I said I don't have any problems with my routine, neither do my horses, she just made me second guess myself so badly.
__________________
You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
horseloverinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:21 AM  
Kid Safe
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ontario
Posts: 5,114
Are you talking grain or hay?

Free range hay winter. If squares, 3 X a day, more if it is cold. When working kids feed when they get home from school. Pellets twice a day. Not much though, Riley doesn't need a couple of cups.
dreamcleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:27 AM  
Pasture Pet
 
cameo05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: In my own world
Posts: 12,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseloverinVA View Post
Thats almost me exactly....well I feel better then.

Like I said I don't have any problems with my routine, neither do my horses, she just made me second guess myself so badly.

There is nothing wrong with feeding 2x day as long as they are getting their recommended poundage per day. Most everyone I know feed 2x day.
__________________
Life is a bed of roses, until you meet up with thorns.
cameo05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:27 AM  
Started
 
horseloverinVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Central, Virginia
Posts: 2,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcleaner View Post
Are you talking grain or hay?

Free range hay winter. If squares, 3 X a day, more if it is cold. When working kids feed when they get home from school. Pellets twice a day. Not much though, Riley doesn't need a couple of cups.

She was talking grain. Her horses have hay in stall all day.
__________________
You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
horseloverinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:32 AM  
Newborn Member
 
Mirockinstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Texas
Posts: 43
You guys will think I'm terrible. My horses have free choice hay, and get fed once a day.

They stay fat and happy, so there's no need to do it more often than that.
__________________
There is no secret so close as that between a rider and his horse. ~ Robert Smith Surtees
Mirockinstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:36 AM  
Pasture Pet
 
cameo05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: In my own world
Posts: 12,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirockinstar View Post
You guys will think I'm terrible. My horses have free choice hay, and get fed once a day.

They stay fat and happy, so there's no need to do it more often than that.
If your horses are in a great weight and getting that much hay a day then what you are doing is what is best for your horses. Nothing wrong with it.
__________________
Life is a bed of roses, until you meet up with thorns.
cameo05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:38 AM  
Greenbroke Member
 
short_kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: michigan
Posts: 3,314
In the winter I feed 2x daily. When they have free pasture, I feed once. I should mention that I have miniature horses.
short_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:44 AM  
Bombproof Member
 
Orchid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 11,148
My horses have either hay or grass or both available 24/7, and those who need it get grained twice a day. I could do three times, if I had to, but it would be a crunch with working all day 16 miles from home.
__________________


Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

  Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone feed complete feed? Feed link added! horseloverinVA Health & Nutrition 33 02-22-2008 08:37 PM
Ethanl by-products as feed? (7th Day at the Barn) OSUJillyBean Health & Nutrition 2 02-08-2007 10:50 AM
Feed Schedule (Times) LBJ Health & Nutrition 14 09-11-2006 05:37 PM
How Many Flakes of Hay do you feed a day? Sylvia1 Health & Nutrition 23 02-17-2006 03:39 PM
How many times? reba4 Breeding & Genetics 3 08-05-2005 08:06 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:57 AM.


Board Powered by vBuletin ® Copyright © 2000 - 2007 Jel Soft

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0