Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2008, 07:51 AM  
Started

How many times a day do you feed?

I'm curious how many times a day people feed. I feed twice daily. I was speaking with a trainer about my OTTB, she acted as though I was a complete criminal for not feeding him 3 meals a day. He had a weight issue but has gained and maintained very well. I've never had a problem with my horses but she really made me feel like I wasn't doing something right. In the summer I used to only feed once a day and never had weight/health issues then either. I work and it's just not feasible for me to feed 3 times a day...does anyone else think thats wrong?
Old 05-12-2008, 07:59 AM  
Greenbroke Member

I feed 2x. If I have a horse with a weight problem , I do TRY to feed 3x.
calicocalgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:00 AM  
Halter broke

I have several horses here, and it just depends on the horse. Some of them get NO feed right now, since they are entirely too heavy. Some get fed once a day, some twice a day, and I have a new one here (a rescue) that is getting fed 3x a day.

What works for one horse, may be too much for another, so you have to figure out a good balance according to that individual horses needs.
LovesEveryHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:01 AM  
Started

The thing is, he doesn't have a weight issue. He did at one time but is now great. She wasn't even just referring to him, she was just saying horses in general need 3 meals a day, and she was completely awstruck that I didn't feed mine 3 times.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:03 AM  
Duckie0370

Nakai gets a small handful of grain in the morning and evening. He also has access to lush pasture all day, so I'm actually watching him to make sure he doesn't get too much of the fresh grass so he doesn't inflate like a blimp!

When I had my OTTB, I fed her 2-3x daily with weight gain supplement and free choice hay. The pasture's were hardly a source of any nutrition. She had a bout of internal bleeding in may 2006 from an unknown source that was so bad she was in mid atlantic equine facility for 10 days and subsequently ended up with stress-induced laminitis. She lost about 100-120lbs, and after than during her stall rest and the months after I fed her 3-4x a day with hay being given every time someone or myself walked past her stall or small paddock. She gained weight back at a nice rate when doing this.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:08 AM  
Halter broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseloverinVA View Post
The thing is, he doesn't have a weight issue. He did at one time but is now great. She wasn't even just referring to him, she was just saying horses in general need 3 meals a day, and she was completely awstruck that I didn't feed mine 3 times.
You might also take into consideration how much the horse was/is being worked. The more a horse works, the more nutrition they need to maintain a healthy weight.
LovesEveryHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:08 AM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckie0370 View Post
Nakai gets a small handful of grain in the morning and evening. He also has access to lush pasture all day, so I'm actually watching him to make sure he doesn't get too much of the fresh grass so he doesn't inflate like a blimp!

When I had my OTTB, I fed her 2-3x daily with weight gain supplement and free choice hay. The pasture's were hardly a source of any nutrition. She had a bout of internal bleeding in may 2006 from an unknown source that was so bad she was in mid atlantic equine facility for 10 days and subsequently ended up with stress-induced laminitis. She lost about 100-120lbs, and after than during her stall rest and the months after I fed her 3-4x a day with hay being given every time someone or myself walked past her stall or small paddock. She gained weight back at a nice rate when doing this.
My horses are on lush pasture all day. They get hay if/when needed in the summer. Weight isn't an issue with any of them, except my appy is a porker. I've never fed 3 times except for special cases. She just made me feel like I was wrong for not feeding 3 meals a day.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:09 AM  
Long Yearling

I dont feed my older horses anything unless bred.They all have plenty of grass in the summer and get way to fat.Babies get 2 scoops of mare and foal feed a day till a yr.Mommas get 1 big scoop of mare and foal till weaning the babies.All the grass they can stuff down their throat
carmor07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:12 AM  
Weanling Member

I feed grain twice per day and hay 3 times per day... feeding more hay in the morning and at night than I do in the middle of the day. It works out for my gang...
Old 05-12-2008, 08:12 AM  
Yearling Member

I feed our hard keeping TB Stallion 4 x daily and free choice hay. Mares that are lactating - get free choice hay/pasture and grain 2x daily. Everything changes come winter, but that is how spring & summer go here on our farm!

Burnt Timber Paint Horse Co.
http://www.burnttimber.com
\"Breeding the best to create better!\"
Burnttimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:18 AM  
Started

OUr horses get 6lbs of grain per day, but it's in one feeding. They are on bermuda grass 24/7. In the winter we give them round bales of hay under our shade thing.

Rest In Peace My Sweet Angel:
Zoey: April 10, 2009-July 19, 2012
Proud United States Navy wife
FLQuarterhorse39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:20 AM  
Pasture Pet

I feed 2x day. I work a full time job and work 20 miles from my home. There is no way except on weekends I could feed 3 plus times a day. Mine are on pasture all day and after feeding times.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:21 AM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameo05 View Post
I feed 2x day. I work a full time job and work 20 miles from my home. There is no way except on weekends I could feed 3 plus times a day. Mine are on pasture all day and after feeding times.
Thats almost me exactly....well I feel better then.

Like I said I don't have any problems with my routine, neither do my horses, she just made me second guess myself so badly.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:21 AM  
Kid Safe

Are you talking grain or hay?

Free range hay winter. If squares, 3 X a day, more if it is cold. When working kids feed when they get home from school. Pellets twice a day. Not much though, Riley doesn't need a couple of cups.
dreamcleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:27 AM  
Pasture Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseloverinVA View Post
Thats almost me exactly....well I feel better then.

Like I said I don't have any problems with my routine, neither do my horses, she just made me second guess myself so badly.

There is nothing wrong with feeding 2x day as long as they are getting their recommended poundage per day. Most everyone I know feed 2x day.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:27 AM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcleaner View Post
Are you talking grain or hay?

Free range hay winter. If squares, 3 X a day, more if it is cold. When working kids feed when they get home from school. Pellets twice a day. Not much though, Riley doesn't need a couple of cups.

She was talking grain. Her horses have hay in stall all day.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:32 AM  
Newborn Member

You guys will think I'm terrible. My horses have free choice hay, and get fed once a day.

They stay fat and happy, so there's no need to do it more often than that.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:36 AM  
Pasture Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirockinstar View Post
You guys will think I'm terrible. My horses have free choice hay, and get fed once a day.

They stay fat and happy, so there's no need to do it more often than that.
If your horses are in a great weight and getting that much hay a day then what you are doing is what is best for your horses. Nothing wrong with it.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:38 AM  
Greenbroke Member

In the winter I feed 2x daily. When they have free pasture, I feed once. I should mention that I have miniature horses.
short_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:44 AM  
Bombproof Member

My horses have either hay or grass or both available 24/7, and those who need it get grained twice a day. I could do three times, if I had to, but it would be a crunch with working all day 16 miles from home.

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition