Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2008, 07:11 PM  
Newborn Member

scab like skin around mouth and nose

I am looking at purchasing a horse but I noticed some scablike "things" around the mouth and on the rim of the nose of this horse and I have never seen anything like it. It is only noticeable up close and it feels like scabs as well. Has anyone ever seen this type of skin condition and what is it, is there a cure or is this "normal" this horse is an Apaloosa/Paint cross. Thank you for your help
tails416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:13 PM  
Halter broke

Sunburn? Sorry not much help!
QHLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:20 PM  
Coming two

Send a message via AIM to DanielleS
my guess would also be sunburn. Did you ask the owner about it?
Old 03-22-2008, 08:18 PM  
Yearling Member

I have a horse that is allergic to clover and he gets these scaby things around his muzzle to... so it's very likely clover is the cause.
HotxtoxTrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:29 PM  
Long Yearling

My guess is sunburn if it is pink skin?
Wendy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:34 AM  
Newborn Member

No I did not ask the owner, I was surrounded by horses just thinking "OHHHHHHHH HORSEY"S" :luvmy horse: Kind of like a kid in a candy store after hours with no adult supervision then as I was driving home and thinking about the horses then like a light bulb I remembered"Duh, I wonder what those scabs were around the horses mouth". The horse does have light skin around the face. Thank you for your help.
tails416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:17 AM  
Started

Sounds like warts that they can get from dew poisoning....if it's those, they will eventually go away

SACREDWINDWALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:29 AM  
Greenbroke Member

My guess is a scarcoid.
"Generally being dry scaly masses that may ulcerate bleed, the main problems with a true sarcoid are those of secondary infection physical interference e.g. with tack. The key difference between sarcoids lymphomas is that sarcoids are benign, lymphomas are malignant. Sarcoids exist in several forms"
"Lesions commonly seen on head (periorbital, lips and muzzle), ventral abdomen and thorax (especially paragenital area) and limbs. Lesions may worsen following iatrogenic or other trauma (e.g. biopsy). Lesions may interfere with wound healing. Biopsy may lead to progression of lesion to more aggressive form! Do not biopsy unless you can treat the lesion as soon as results are available."

There is no cure for them and for the most part they don't hurt the horse--I had a stud with one in his ear--we had it removed but it grew back(his was a type that grew more like a ball--some are flat
Do you have a picture??
Old 03-23-2008, 08:57 AM  
Long Yearling

Cowboy gets those every summer when I start him on pasture. They always go away on their own. My guess has always been they are either from the moisture or some type of weed.

"To many, the words love, hope, and dreams are synonymous with horses" - Anonymous
ilovepaints1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:06 AM  
Started

Send a message via Yahoo to GreyDot
If they are actually raised little surfaces, a little crusty, then it sounds like sarcoids or warts. If the skin is peeling, could be sunburn. Do you have a picture, or can you find a picture that looks like it? Does the horse have a pink nose where the scabs are?
Old 03-23-2008, 08:56 PM  
Halter broke

Dew poisoning

I noticed you are from Michigan and I assume the horse you are looking at is in Michigan (or that area OH, IL) so this time of year dew poisoning is common as they are grazing on the new grass that is coming up with the moisture of the spring thaw. I was in MI until 4 years ago and we always had an "outbreak" this time of year. If you are really concerned about it, have the vet take a look when/if you do a PPE.
ttldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:34 AM  
Kid Safe

My first thought was warts

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but becase of the people who do nothing about it.~Albert Einstein
paso_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:36 PM  
Started

My paints that sunburn look like that. Avon skin so soft works great. High SPF and they all love it. Avon products are good for critters as they don't have all the perfumes in them. Avon skin so soft products. Don't know about the other stuff.

Going through this with sweet Lily right now.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:48 PM  
Long Yearling

Sounds like sunburn. I have a paint horse that I had to put sunscreen on everyday especially in the Summer.
jtfer1968 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition