Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2008, 02:08 PM  
Started

Capped Hock

I have a mare that normally wears kick chains in her stall as she hates any horse in the stall next to her so she insists on kicking. She has already cut her pastern by doing this. Well stupid me has not had her kick chains on the past two days that they have been inside and now her hock is swelled at the back of the bone, capped hock. Anyone got any suggestions on the best treatment for this? I have a call into my vet.
Texas Paints N Arabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:41 PM  
Bombproof Member

Getting out and moving would be beneficial. Cold hosing, Bute or anti-inflammatory meds, and I like to use Epsom Salt Poultice, or you could use clay poultice. Cover the poultice with Saran Wrap then standing wraps, or supportive track bandages.

Please keep us posted on what the vet says and how she is doing.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:45 PM  
Started

So the epsom salt poultice works like a sweat? I have heard of furazone with cotton then saran wrap and a polo wrap over that as a sweat. He should be calling me back shortly, I just spoke to his secretary that said she had talked to him and he would call me as soon as he had a moment to give me a treatment option. Looks like the kick chains will be going back on this evening.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:47 PM  
Kid Safe

What are kick chains? You don't even want to know the mental picture I just got. I hope she has a fast recovery
DoBeSassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:02 PM  
Yearling Member

Definetely some outside time or longeing/handwalking. Personally, I would paint it with DMSO gel, wrap with plastic wrap, cover with vetwrap for the night. Take off in the morning and most all of the swelling should be down by then. Rinse completely with cool water and continue with cool hosings and you can repeat the DMSO treatments at night.

You may want to invest in a pair of neoprene hock sweats. These are specifically made to wrap around hocks and you can put them over any type of poultice which has been covered. They will also help protect her hocks.

Any way you can let her out full time? I would think if she hates the stall that much that you'd do everything possible to keep her in the pasture and happy.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:06 PM  
Started

Kick chains are basically a dog collar with a 6-8" piece of chain attached. It is put between the pastern and then coronet band and each time they strike out the chain pops them back.
She actually loves her stall, loves her blanket. She just hates when another horse is next to her. She is an alpha mare and thinks she has to be one in her stall as well. When she was out 24/7 before her coat was dull, bad attitude towards people, overall not a happy camper. She enjoys coming into her stall and getting her blanket on.
She only has one horse on one side and an empty stall on the other.
What if I block that view of the other horse, will they still kick if they sense they are there?
Old 03-07-2008, 03:07 PM  
Started

pasopony....any cotton between the skin and the saran wrap?
Old 03-07-2008, 03:08 PM  
Seasoned

Send a message via Yahoo to Horses&Soccer
I'm with DBS, I get a strange visual too.

Some days I just want to be a missing person
Horses&Soccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:09 PM  
Started

I will see if I can get a pic of her with them on so you guys won't have anymore strange visuals! Don't want to be corrputing anyone on here!!
Old 03-07-2008, 03:13 PM  
Kid Safe

I know what your talking about now, I just didn't think of that when I heard the name. I had a visual of a mare in black leather and a crop in one hoof with some chains attached to her shoes.

Then I had a visual of a horse with a surcingle around their girth and 2 chains going down and attaching to the rear pasterns.

Then I figured I had better ask
DoBeSassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:14 PM  
Started

Now that is a funny picture!
Old 03-07-2008, 03:20 PM  
Yearling Member

Nope, no cotton. You'll be surprised out how much the swelling will go down! Can Ms Large and In Charge go in an end stall with no one next to her? Mares are so funny about what they like (or don't like) sometimes.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:26 PM  
Kid Safe

I would just cold water hose the hock for 20 minutes or so, dry it off, paint it with DMSO and give her some bute. I would repeat this for a few days. A lot of horses don't take too kindly to wrapping stuff around their hocks, especially if they are prone to kicking in the first place. Plus, because it is a joint, the wrapping can get tight and cause some rubs or actually more swelling. Hock boots would be ok. But, I would be inclined to leave it open.
kanoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:31 AM  
Bombproof Member

How is your mares Hock doing today?

Any improvement, and or what did the vet have to say?
Old 03-08-2008, 09:18 AM  
Started

Still a little swollen today but she is out in the pasture today so I am hoping that the moving around helps as well.
My vet never called me back, I assume he got busy with this weather going up and down around here. I should hear from him today.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:46 AM  
Coming two

Send a message via AIM to DanielleS
I would definitely board up the open space between stalls if she is kicking at the horse next to her. My mare does this as well, but not to the point of kicking the wall, she just lunges occasionally at her neighbor and scares him. (I have bars on the top half between stalls) Blocking her view might make a difference, I think its worth a shot.
Also in my experience Hock wrapping is a HUGE PAIN! it never stays where you put it, almost always falls...and I had hock boots on my horse when he punctured his hock and they either fell down or he ripped them. pretty much a waste in my mind. I did find that vet wrap first, then surgical tape (yes for people) and then duck tape helped keep everything in place. My vet had never seen surgical tape work, but it stuck to his hair enough to hold it in place but not enough to hurt when I pulled it off. the duck tape over top just helped keep the vet wrap from stretching.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition