Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2008, 09:12 PM  
Yearling Member

Swollen Legs Help

I was finally able to go out to my horses today. My son was feeding up this morning. I went out to say high to all my guys. I was looking them over and my daughters horses legs are all swollen all four of them. The mussel's along his ribcage looked a little tight. He ate all his grain and has had a normal apatite. Several of my herd have had a bad cold he was one of them. I put them on penicillin for a week like my Vet. told me to do. They are always on a mineral, vit. supplement. My son purchased some electrolytes supplements to add to there water trying to boost them up. This said he left the lean too, and urinated but it wasn't normal the first time it was like my 4 yr,old son going. Than he tried again a minute later a little better, but not normal. I called the Vet. he said to walk him to make sure he was not trying to colic or have a blockage. He walked just a few minutes and pooped normal. We kept walking and the swelling in the legs went down, but still not normal. He urinated again but still not great, real yellow. He is drinking water well I maid him hang out with me all afternoon. We kept giving him water and would walk him to increase his thirst. He is eating great but I am still worried. The Vet. did not seemed concerned about the urinating problem or the leg swelling problem. I am wondering could he have gotten to much sodium, like a pregnant women, this making the legs swell, what else can I do. I feed him only beet pulp this afternoon soaked in water advice from Vet. Should I take him to a Vet tomorrow or just watch him and see how he does? Please help I am at a loss. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:05 PM  
Started

Send a message via MSN to sugarsgal
Antibiotics can be hard on the Kidneys causing issues as you are stating. The swelling of the legs is part of it, also known as "Stocking Up" in the limbs.

We used Red Hemo Kidney powder for our mare that did this. It helps flush the Kidneys and get things moving better.

For the life of me I can't remember the proper term of the Kidney problem.

There is no such thing as an Ignorant horse, there are only Ignorant people!
sugarsgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:19 PM  
Yearling Member

Sugarsgal, were can I buy this from. I knew there was more going on and the Vet. just didn't seemed to concerned. My son tried to give him a beer To see if it would help move his kidneys. He would not drink it, he was better tonight, but I want to give the kidney stuff to make sure everything is moving proper. Thanks a bunch.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:05 PM  
Started

Send a message via MSN to sugarsgal
You should be able to get it in any tack store. I believe TSC carries it too. My daughter has my laptop so I do not have any of my American sites on hand.

A beer, that's cute

There is no such thing as an Ignorant horse, there are only Ignorant people!
sugarsgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:30 AM  
Coming two

i would do a good sheath cleaning as sometimes the bean can get so big it interferes with urinating

the swollen legs would worry me especially if he has been sick. there is a form of strangles that can do that and it is especially bad. or like said he could just be stocked up from standing too much?
Old 02-11-2008, 05:34 AM  
Started

Try hosing his legs every couple of hours.
That and the walking should help improve it.

Like kaykay I would be concerned because he is getting over being ill and would wonder if there was not an underlying problem.

Have you checked his temperature?

Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. W.C.Fields
Touche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:46 AM  
Yearling Member

The "bean" would be in the Urethra, not the Sheath though and if your horse is not comfortable with you "cleaning" him I wouldn't try it, you could get your head kicked off. Some Geldings have to be sedated to clean them and a good vet will tell you if you are not going to do it several times a year then don't do it at all because it just builds up again. If your horse doesn't mind being cleaned then when he drops down and relaxes you have to fold the skin around the tip back and check for the beans, most horses that have this problem will expose themselves more than usual and let you know there is discomfort. If he is not "hanging out" more than he usually does I would say this isn't the problem. However this would not explain the swelling in the legs unless he is retaining water because of the pain when he urinates.
I hope this helps but it may just make it even more complicated. If you want him to drink more you can always try putting apple flavored Jello in his water too.
jade65 & Hannah04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:34 PM  
Yearling Member

I asked the Vet. about putting something in the water to help him drink he said not to. My daughter is getting the kidney medicine now I am going to try this and watch him close. His legs were better this morning but still a little swollen. He already has stifle problems. He was dropping a good bit yesterday but I don't know if this is more than usual for him. I will check for a stone today if he keeps dropping a lot. He is a real gentle gelding so hopefully this want make him mad. I might try to flavored water I don't see were it could hurt. Thanks a lot for all the great help.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:58 PM  
Coming two

Just FYI this could be a totally different situation but I had a mare who was real blown up in her legs. Turns out she had an allergic reaction to something. I gave her an antihistamine and it went down and she was fine. The only think I had done different was given her some electrolytes, apple flavored. I doubt that's what caused the reaction but it was the only think different. So it might not have anything to do with electrolytes but you might want to give him an antihistamine in cause he is having some kind of reaction. Also check for a fever.
lbequ4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:41 PM  
Started

The swelling could be stocking up or as lbequ4002 said, it could be an allergic reaction. The one time I saw an allergic reaction though it appeared as if the skin would pop they were that large. If they're just puffy, it's probably stocking up. You can hot wrap them with furizone or I've even used alcohol. Don't use alcohol if your horse has a cut or it'll sting. I use my white pillow wraps on top of the alcohol and a standing bandage.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:48 PM  
Yearling Member

Have you changed fly spray at all? I did know of a horse that did that because of oil based fly spray one time.
jade65 & Hannah04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:05 PM  
Yearling Member

I have not used any fly spray. His legs were puffy you could tell that felt like there was fluid on them. I have not had a chance to get outside to day with him like yesterday but I am hoping to get out there in a little while. I will update than.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:46 PM  
Yearling Member

Update Swollen Legs Help

We took Diego to the Vet. he done a kidney test,pulled a cog-gins, than sedated him. The kidney test was negative so there working fine. He checked him for beans and he had 2 lg ones. We think this was his problem, so he also gave him some lasix to flush him out. They sure did work he went to the bath room 5 times from the time we unloaded him until we were through feeding up last night. This morning all his legs are fine no swelling, thank God. He even evaluated him for me because I know he has bad stifles and he is peglegged in the front. He said to trim him up real short to make him stand on his toes more that this would relieve some muscle pressure. He done all this and only charged me 82.00 dollars I sure like this Vet. Diego is the unsoundest horse I have ever owned, so I asked the Vet. was he in good enough shape to ride. My children ride him, and my 19yr.old daughter rides him actually he is hers. She weighs around 115lbs. soak and wet and we only trail ride. The Vet. said that he is fine for this he just want ever make an event horse. I thought about selling him and we just can't. He is the sweetest horse and anyone can ride him totally bomb proof. The Vet. also said to exercise him more for the stifle problem, were going to start this on the weekend. I want to give him time to recover. Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:36 PM  
Pasture Pet

Tango, I am glad that he is going to be ok. I know with everything else you have been through you sure didn't need to worry about this. He sounds like he is a tuff ol cuss and that is a good thing. Good luck with him and praying for a complete recovery.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:42 PM  
Newborn Member

That's great news, glad your boy's feeling better, but wow Tango, less than $100 ?? I'm calling your vet from now on...how far will he travel?
Our mobile fee is $35 just to get her here then it's $ after $ after $. But She's awesome and it's the going rate...what can you do???
Enjoy that nice guy, trails are where I love to ride most and where I think the wise and reliable horses really shine!
jacksclassydoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:21 PM  
Yearling Member

Another Update Still Swollen

Diego's legs are still swollen, I talked to the Vet. on Sat. he said to walk him for 30min. a day. We have done that but there still swollen he is urinating fine and eating well . I can't figure out whats going on, I am taken him back to the Vet. tomorrow. Does anyone have any more ideas?

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition