Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2008, 07:38 PM  
Yearling Member

Send a message via AIM to PaintMeCrazy
Oil and Supplements for horses?

I want to add a little oil or some sort of supplement to my horses diet.
The reasons: I wanted to give him a nicer coat and a little fat wouldn't hurt him either as he is a hard working youngster.

He is already on Fast Track, a probiotic; he came on this- its makes sence to me with what it does and it seems to work well IMO

This horse in question is a 3 year old Quarter Horse Gelding; he is still really growing but also working pretty well.

->He already has a nice coat, but I figured I can always try to improve it!
->He gets 12% pelleted feed, and some Sweet feed.
Pretty much free choice timothy hay right now!
I do not really want to increase his grain, becuase of the odd winter weather and if it snows hard he could be getting 'stuck inside' except when he is working.
Has 24/7 access to salt block
->He is lunged walk-jog-lope on a long rope and on a big circle so its easier for his joints and growing limbs, I do not over due the lunging but he gets a work out.
->We are starting to work on him a little more, and I'm sitting on him but not quite riding him around yet at anything other than a walk.
But I think I will be walking and Jogging with him in no time.
No rush to ride him from me though, lol, I like what we are working on for now its plenty.
->We also are working on showmanship and want to get him to some halter and showmanship shows in the spring.
But I don't want him TOO overly bulked up as he is more importantly going to be a Western Pleasure horse in the future! And I perfer a sleeker model to the real beefy suckers I see a lot!
->We go on daily walks too
->He gets turnout time all day but brought in at night.

I wanted to know what type of Oil (corn, wheat germ...ect) would be best to give him?

I know he doesnt really need a joint supplement (to me), but I know very little about supplements so any opinions from those with more experience about what else I should be concerned with at this point?

I'll do anything to improve him and make him more comfortable and happy

Thanks!
PaintMeCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 07:44 PM  
Long Yearling

We use canola oil or ground flax. Makes their coats nice and shiny!
mlh619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 07:51 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
I don't like oil just because it can be so messy to deal with and hard to use in the winter.

I've used Rice Bran (Empower or Max-E-Glo) and BOSS seeds.

But the ground flax if you can get it is great also!

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 07:57 PM  
Kid Safe

I've been using corn oil for my son's senior mare for the past couple months, and it seems to be helping her! Even in Canadian winters, it's been very easy to use, I just keep it in the house, pour a certain amount in a measuring cup, and bring it out to the barn, and feed it to her on grain. I did spill it on myself once, but I was trying to carry several things . I've used ground flax as well, and it worked well, but was expensive, and the corn oil is easy to get at any grocery store, so I use that.

I also give mine a vitamin/mineral suppliment that they have free choice access to. It comes in a 25kg bag.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:04 PM  
Long Yearling

We buy normal flax and grind the amount we need in a coffee grinder. It works well for horses that have heaves too(at least that is what my sister says)
mlh619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:48 PM  
Kid Safe

It sounds like he's doing quite fine with what he's getting, you're doing a fine job taking care of him.

If you want to add a little shine to his coat, how about one of the supplements designed for that? Most are oil based liquids and will add some calories to his diet, without making him hot like adding carbohydrates.

Since you are concerned about his happiness, and you want to add a little weight on him, how about introducing a small amount of various other horsey edibles for variety? Mellons (honeydew, muskmellons, watermellons and even pumpkin or squash - but not zuchini or cucumbers) and fruit (apples, pears, peaches, avacodos) are welcomed by most horses. Alfalfa cubes are good, there are freeze-dried grasses available as well (kinda costly, but we're not talking about a huge amount at a time) Think of it as gourmet food for your horse, more than a treat, but not a whole diet either.

As with any new food, introduce new feeds one at a time and start with very small amounts to allow his body to become accustomed to them. By widening his pallet, too, you will be lesening the chances of colic caused by him eating strange things he may find in the pasture, or that are offered to him by passing strangers - his stomach will already be used to a wider variety of feedstuffs.

taelesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:09 AM  
Long Yearling

Send a message via AIM to equine.trailrider Send a message via Yahoo to equine.trailrider
I use soy oil. I buy it at the grocery store for $5.69 a gallon. It is labeled as vegetable oil but make sure you look on the back. It should say 100% soy oil. I don't use corn products at all. It makes horses hyper from too much starch. I feed my horses a low starch, high fat diet which includes shredded beet pulp (without molasses), which is what I add the oil to. Then I add hot water and let it soak. I then add this mixture to their grain. They love it.
equine.trailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:33 AM  
Long Yearling

I have been using corn oil for 2 of my horses for the last few months and I am happy with the results. The corn oil put a few pounds on and I love the look of their coat. I have just been putting about 3 tbls 2x a day. I was also that the corn oil was helping keeping everything moving on the inside along with the metamucil.
jtfer1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 12:27 PM  
Started

PMC, check the bag of pelleted feed.
It has oil added to the formula.

I would have no qualms about adding more grain than what he was getting here since he is being worked.

Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. W.C.Fields
Touche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:01 PM  
Long Yearling

Knowing the pony of which you speak........Stay away from oils unless you want the runs!

Source has been a staple in his diet from birth and Fast track for the last three years. He may just be missing the "Source."
Old 02-01-2008, 08:34 AM  
Newborn Member

It's a good idea to feed some sort of oil in your horses diet. I have a friend who has a friend (if that makes any sense ) who's horse ended up having colic surgery. She doesn't feed any oil. It was a $7100 learning experience on Christmas day.

My friends and I had our horses on the dac oil (www.feeddac.com) until it got really pricy then we switched to cocosoya oil from uckele (www.uckele.com). Both work really well on putting a shine on your horse along with a bit of fat. We feed supplements from dac. Between 6 horses we feed 3 1/2 bales of hay a day and they are not lacking. The supplements allow the horse to get every bit of nutrition from the hay.

Just my .02
Old 02-01-2008, 08:44 AM  
Kid Safe

I am a huge advocate of Source and Fastrack and a mineral supplement. I too stay away from oils. I do use Rice bran oil on occasion. I will also use Max E Glow if a horse has dry skin. But in general every horse on my farm gets Source and Fastrack and they all look beautiful, even my mares in the field that never have a brush put on them. Also they grow very good hoof on these supplements. Good luck!
kanoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:42 PM  
Bombproof Member

I'm a great fan of Senior's for all ages. It puts a beautiful bloom in the coat. I have a horse that doesn't know where to go first on grain but is fine on Senior and he has dapples in his winter coat which is glossy. Only 2 lbs per day and one will see a difference in about 3 weeks.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:59 AM  
Yearling Member

Thumbs up Omga Horseshine by Omega Fields

I am a HUGE fan of Omega Horseshine! It's great for the coat and overall health. Here in Florida, we do a lot of sand colic prevention and the flax in it is great for that, as well. It is a little pricey but it's a big bag and lasts FOREVER! Anyway, I cannot say enough positive things about this product.

http://www.omegafields.com
palomino_grl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:08 AM  
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomino_grl View Post
I am a HUGE fan of Omega Horseshine! It's great for the coat and overall health. Here in Florida, we do a lot of sand colic prevention and the flax in it is great for that, as well. It is a little pricey but it's a big bag and lasts FOREVER! Anyway, I cannot say enough positive things about this product.

http://www.omegafields.com
Love it, but actually I find it much cheaper than most other supplements. I buy it direct from Omega and I got 100# for $135 delivered. It has lasted my 7 horses 4 months. Three get 1 cup a day the rest get 1/2.

It is more money if you buy it from tractor supply. I got a bag when I ran short and it's like 29.95 for 20#.

Their winter coats shine like crazy, great skin, it helps the feet, and clears the intestines of sand. It is stablilized flax with tons of omega 3 & 6. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about it.
recklesshoundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:37 AM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadmare View Post
Source has been a staple in his diet from birth and Fast track for the last three years. He may just be missing the "Source."

Source has been in my horses diet since he was born. I bought him from the breeder and have had him ever since, keeping him on it and he has a great coat, keeps good weight and its also great mineral supplement on top of your mineral/salt blocks. Its $30 (Fla) and a 5# tub last my gelding 5 months. Great supplement for about $6 month. I would definatly consider it or just even look it up and see for yourself all the positives to this supplement.

Last edited by BarnBum : 02-03-2008 at 05:39 AM.
BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition