Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2008, 07:34 AM  
Kid Safe

pros & cons of glucosamine

My dear fellow HTians I come seeking advise on behalf of a boarder.

My little Cushings mare seems to be aging beyond her 14 years. She is slowly gaining her weight and now it seems we have hit another hurddle. She creaks A LOT and with our weather having been so mild she looks to have achieness (is that a word ) in her joints and some sweeling. Vet has said she could have arthritis.

I have suggested putting her on it as both another boarder and my dog have had good results with it. K on the other hand is somewhat on the fence as she has been doing some reading and sees some bad things it could do. She's not yet convinced and would like your views on the stuff.

Thanks in advance.

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but becase of the people who do nothing about it.~Albert Einstein
paso_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 07:44 AM  
Kid Safe

I have never ever had a problem with glucosamine supplementation. To my knowledge there are no risks associated with its use.
kanoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:04 AM  
Seasoned

Send a message via Yahoo to Horses&Soccer
What are the alleged side effects? I have never heard of side effects associated with glucosamine or chondroitin supplements?

Some days I just want to be a missing person
Horses&Soccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:57 AM  
Kid Safe

The pros are inconsistent and debatable - sometimes it helps, sometimes not.

There are no cons...
Faceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:02 AM  
Yearling Member

I haven't heard of any cons either... but if there are please tell me as I take a LOT of it myself!

We use a combo of Devils Claw/Yucca and gluco on our creaky guys ( and myself! ) with no problem.

I would recommend SmartPak. I've never had anything but positive results from them... their customer service reps are very knowledgable and can help create the perfect supplement for your horse.

Be Something You Love and Understand~ Lynard Skynard
NHIceGSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:45 PM  
Kid Safe

I've had absolutely fantastic results from feeding glucosamine suppliments, in a couple of horses, and my senior Lab! I suppose there are some cases where it doesn't make a difference, but I'd say it is definetely worth a try.

For my son's old mare, I feed her rolled oats with a little bit of corn oil in it, and then a scoop of Renewal (which has glucosamine, MSM, DSG, Vitamin C, and Magnesium) every day. I also sprinkle a little sugar water on it to cover the taste a bit, and also so the powder will all stick to the grain and get eaten.

There are a lot of different brands out there, just ask which they reccomend at the feed store, but Renewal is manufactured in Canada, so you might be able to get it in Ontario. I pay $44.50 + tax for a 1kg tub of it, and it's worth every penny, and lasts quite a while

Last edited by AlbertaGirl : 01-12-2008 at 12:47 PM.
AlbertaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:19 PM  
Yearling Member

I've read that there are some problems feeding glucosamine to true cushings horses for metabolic reasons. There is a yahoo group for equine cushings that has discussed this. You should check this out and consult your vet for the latest information regarding cushings disease and glucosamine. My vet felt glucosamine was ok for my cushings horse.
pennyrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:20 PM  
Long Yearling

I've never heard of any side affects to it, from what my vet's, both equine and canine have told me it is extremely safe, can't overdose on it at all.

I've never needed to give any to horses, as I've always had younger ones, but I do give it to my old dog, and it has done WONDERS for her. I recommend it to everyone. She's old and arthritic and for a long time couldn't get up without a lot of discomfort. After a month or two on the glucosamine, she seemed 8 years younger. I LOVE the stuff personally. She's been on a fairly high dose now for two years, no ill effects, just great benefits. I did cut her down once to see what happened, and some of the pain and stiffness returned until I increased the dosage again. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT.
KitKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:24 PM  
Kid Safe

I use AniFlex GL, it contains glucosamine, vit. C, hesperidin, MSM, creatine, yucca, vit. E, HA, vit. B 1,2,6 and 12. It is the only one I have found that contains the MSM, yucca and HA. Those 3 are my favorites. I have been using it for about 7 years on a mare diagnosed with arthritis and bone spurs in her hocks at 16. She is now 29 and runs around just fine, there have been no problems, only good.

You don't have to be crazy to be my friend,
but it helps!!!
sundancer maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:41 PM  
Started

Last edited by oveywon : 02-06-2008 at 07:52 PM.
oveywon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:55 PM  
Started

It works wonders for this human...but it gives me a splitting headache, but it works so well I take it anyway, just not everyday. I have no idea how a horse could tell you if his head hurt
k

“Preach the gospel at all times, if necessary use words.”
St Francis
beezwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:16 PM  
Kid Safe

In a horse with a normal metabolism, I would say there were no dangers or drawbacks to Glucosamine, but there may be dificulties with it in a horse with Cushings. Glucosamine may raise his blood sugar levals and cause an insulin reaction, which in turn could lead to laminitis (one of the reasons Cushings horses are prone to laminitis/founder)

You probably can still give him the glucosamine, but his diet will have to be changed to compesate for the sugar reaction - more fat and fiber, less carbohydrates. I'd consult a vet for the details. If possible, a vet with lots of experience with Cushings horses and/or equine nutrition.

taelesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:30 PM  
Greenbroke Member

I read something a while back that glucosamine did something to cholesterol in some people. I made a mental note, but don't use it for myself---so don't remember exactly what it said. I think I read it in the newspaper "People's Pharmacy" column. On the horsey side---I used senior flex with my old horse and it worked pretty well.

Peace!! I wish the people of the world could get along as well as the animals in my backyard.
crittermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:31 PM  
Halter broke

There are no side effects from Glucosamine, Chondroitin Sulfate nor MSM. They are all proven safe. A few that works real well are made by Farnam companies; Max Flex (Chondroitin & Glucosamine), Joint Combo Classic, Next Level, or just strait MSM.
buckarette1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition