Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2008, 04:51 PM  
Yearling Member

Broken Tooth!!! FREAKING OUT!!!

Hi folks,

Had one of my expensive prospect horses act like a fool today...well, she broke her left 2nd incisor completely in half. It bled for a little bit, but then seemed to clot up.

I searched around and found the other half of the tooth.

What do I do? Should I call the vet immediately??!!!

Can they save a horse tooth like a human tooth as long as you have the broken half?

It did not seem to bother her much as she was still eating away at hay and grass the rest of the day, and it didn't seem to be swelling at all.

She is 3.5 yrs, and I am not sure if this is a permanent tooth or not, but my guess is that it is.

Please any advice!!!
SEsporthorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:54 PM  
Bombproof Member

I really don't think the tooth is salvagable. I would just keep her mouth rinsed/clean as much as possible and call your vet or equine dentisit. My guess would be they would pull the tooth and put her on antibiotics. If she can't eat due to pain or whatever, consider bran mashes.
BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:39 PM  
Coming two

Send a message via AIM to DanielleS
Poor thing! I agree, call the dentist.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:49 PM  
Coming two

Check the mouth for a foul smell to make sure it doesn't get infected. Then it should be fine you just need to make sure and get her teeth floated on a regular basis because the opposite tooth won't get ground down at all.
lbequ4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:10 PM  
Bombproof Member

Depending on how she has been cutting her teeth, it may not be her permanent. If it is her second incisor they get there permanent one between 3.5 yrs.old and 4 years old. So, the question would be is it her new permanent one, or not?

I would at the least have an equine dentist look to see what could be done. In the mean time, as everyone has eluded too, is making sure that no infection develops. BIOTENE found at Wal-Mart in the mouth and tooth section(recommended for use after oral surgery) is a great flush and wash to help prevent infection and aids in healing.
I had a young horse fall on and cut his bottom jaw from between his front two teeth to the bars all the way down to the bone. With in 3 days of flushing via syringe after each feeding x 2 daily with a 50/50 mixture of Biotene and Water, healing had begun and never had a bit of problems with infection or teeth. My medicine cabinet will never be without it.

Hoping it is a baby tooth, and all is well. Keep us posted on how things progress.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:17 PM  
Yearling Member

Ok, so after some extensive internet research with my broken half of the tooth...

I think it's the baby tooth that came off of the permanent tooth. The break is pretty clean and the tooth is rounded and white.

I thought they fell out just like human teeth...but apparently the permanent one just pushes the baby tooth out with it attached and then the baby tooth dissolves?

Good to know about the tooth wash, I will get that tomorrow, thanks!

Going to call the vet...she needs a dental exam anyways, but in the mean time I will give her some penicillin if I see any inflammation and flush.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:15 AM  
Yearling Member

Yes, the primary incisors are pushed out by the permanent ones. It results in a "cap". You often find them in the bottom of the feed buckets. I have a collection of them from my horses Nothing to worry about.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:03 PM  
Yearling Member

Is it normal for them to bleed when the cap falls off? I am just worried she is going to lose that permanent tooth from trauma!
Old 01-11-2008, 12:08 PM  
Bombproof Member

I have had, and seen them bleed a little bit resulting from the tooth given away from the tissue on the gum.

The colt I referred too that cut his mouth, had to pull his bottom babies to allow for the permanent ones to come in...they are pretty tough.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:06 PM  
Yearling Member

Great to hear. Thanks so much!
Old 01-11-2008, 11:30 PM  
Started

Send a message via MSN to sugarsgal
Sugar broke a tooth at the age of 4 by bitting on the stall door handle. It looked worse then what it was. Hers bled a bit and was swollen around the tooth. My vet said to just leave it be and it would be fine. I left it but checked it and it was fine. Ended up being a cap pulled and the new tooth emerged shortly after.

There is no such thing as an Ignorant horse, there are only Ignorant people!
sugarsgal is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition