Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2008, 12:13 PM  
Weanling Member

Do you use any Sand Colic Prevention ?

Our Florida soil is SAND......there is NO top soil here.

I have been giving SandClear ( the apple flavor) or WalMarts brand of Metamucil ( the orange flavored psyllium ) as sand clear prevention -

I give 1 cup to the big (1000 lb)horses and 1/4 cup for the (250 lb) Minis- weekly on Mondays as topdressing to their AM grain

They seem to prefer the Orange flavor.........BOY they LICK their lips, mouth & teeth ALOT! You want a horse to make funny faces just feed them the orange stuff!

What do you all use?How much & how often do you give it?
CatFromFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:15 PM  
Greenbroke Member

we sell alot of Sandclear to our customers.
calicocalgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:17 PM  
Bombproof Member

HECK YEAH !!!!!!!!!!! Fla is the sand colic capital of the world !!!! I am not over protective of my horses, but .......

1. They eat off of stall mats, not off the ground
2. Their hay is up in racks so the sand from the hay falls out.
3. Bran mash with mineral oil 1x week
4. Give *Sand Clear* religously every 3rd week of the month for 7 days - top dressed in their breakfast.
5. Daily wormer- Strongid C 2x. (colic prevenative). My horses are enrolled in the Strongid program by Pfizer.

Knock on wood......no colics here !!

I don't think giving Sand Clear or Metamucil only one time is effective. You have give the Sand Clear over a 7 day period for it to be effective. I give my 1200# gelding one full cup and my 300# mini about 1/3 cup.

Last edited by BarnBum : 01-10-2008 at 12:31 PM.
BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:25 PM  
Pasture Pet

We use generic metamusil once a month for five days on their grain - even in AZ - same ingredients as sand clear and a whole lot cheaper..

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:28 PM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocalgirl View Post
we sell alot of Sandclear to our customers.
Sand? In PA?
Old 01-10-2008, 12:31 PM  
Yearling Member

I'm a Florida Cracker - born and raised. Have had horses all my life in this sandy state. The single most important factor in your horse not colicking is that they have plenty of roughage - either pasture or supplemented with hay. Good roughage will push the sand out and keep the gut moving at all times. Plenty of clear fresh water must be available to avoid impactions.

I recently read a controlled study where they actually fed horses a certain amount of sand per day and measured all that came out naturally. Then they tried the same horses on psyllium and with bran mash. There was no statistical data to show that the psyllim or bran mash pushed more sand out.

Since I don't have a colic problem and I free feed hay and my horses get a quality feed, I don't use any of the psyllium products. Although on a cold night my guys do like a hot bran mash
Old 01-10-2008, 01:17 PM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasopony View Post
I'm a Florida Cracker - born and raised. Have had horses all my life in this sandy state. The single most important factor in your horse not colicking is that they have plenty of roughage - either pasture or supplemented with hay. Good roughage will push the sand out and keep the gut moving at all times. Plenty of clear fresh water must be available to avoid impactions.

I recently read a controlled study where they actually fed horses a certain amount of sand per day and measured all that came out naturally. Then they tried the same horses on psyllium and with bran mash. There was no statistical data to show that the psyllim or bran mash pushed more sand out.

Since I don't have a colic problem and I free feed hay and my horses get a quality feed, I don't use any of the psyllium products. Although on a cold night my guys do like a hot bran mash

My horses free feed on orchard grass/mix hay. Its avail to them 24 hrs a day in their stall along with water, added minerals and electrolytes. Their grain is Nutreena. Its a piece of mind that I feed the bran mash and sand clear. Its worth more to me than a colic or emergency surgery.......I too have been in Fla all my life ( w/ horses )
BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:26 PM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasopony View Post
This is what our vet told us as well. Actually, we have two vets we use often (you know, make sure you have a back-up in case one's busy in an emergency) and neither suggested for us to put our horses on the sand clear. We even had a horse colic from impaction... but they said it was a waste of money to use the stuff and that extra hay and adding a white salt block along with their mineral block will help encourage them to drink more water.

That was when my dad refused to feed our minis free choice hay. They chewed right through quite a few fence boards then, too. Now that they get all the hay they want, they've stopped chewing fences and we haven't had colic issues (*knocks on wood).

And yes, we have sand, too!

I'll never forget you, Clyde! 3/18/02-12/30/06.
You left me too soon, Peppy. It will never be the same without you 4/18/91 - 5/1/09.
BarrelGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:32 PM  
Kid Safe

I too have had horses in south Florida for my whole life. I do not us Sand Clear or any other product. I feed free choice hay, and have never had a sand colic, knock on wood, I do bran mash weekly but not for that reason, it is something different and they like it. If you think the Sand clear works for you though, great!
kanoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:48 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hideaway View Post
Sand? In PA?
I think it's more from just feeding their horses off the ground. I had alot of requests for it and sell a good bit... for all the more sand we have in PA..
calicocalgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:01 PM  
Started

I used to give it to my horses but then I went to this seminar with a Purina spokesman and he also told me it was really just a waste of my money. And since I already spend enough on my horses I stopped using it. But I also give my horses free choice hay and have a salt and a mineral block next to their water. (hay is costing me about $80. a week right now for 2 horses and a mini ---who only gets a little) I have never had a colic experience yet except about a month ago my little mini was going down and rolling alot one night and I thought he might have had a slight case of colic.
Stormy's Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:09 PM  
Newborn Member

On my vet's recommendation, I use 1 cup of EquiAid, SandClear or Metamucil (generic) per horse, one day each week, am and pm feedings. I figured since I didn't have a strong opinion, I'd go with the opinion of the one who'll have to come help should we have a colic!

I recently switched from EquiAid to Metamucil, as my donkey didn't really like EquiAid (or Sandclear).........but I bought the sugar-free by mistake. Anyone know if that's ok? The donkey ate it anyway . The horses aren't too sure about it.......but ate it anyway.
lunacyacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:16 PM  
Weanling Member

Our horses are hay only fed (no pasture grazing) and grain.
I feed the hay in a hay cradle with a bin below that catches stragglers with floor mats below in the big horse barn. The filly gets bucket fed grain and hay in a tub.

I feed the hay off of a hay shelf with a floor mat in the mini barn so most of their hay is NOT on the ground.

They are not on any grass but there is grass around the paddock edges that they promptly remove sandy roots and all. I swear the minis have lizard tongues called edgers.

I did have one mini get a mild case of sand colic after havng him a few months. he was off of his feed ( and he NEVER missed a meal) and he had some "rolling".

He always had bowel sounds and was treated with banamine and mineral oil/bran mash. ............... the next day he POOPED SAND CASTLES ! ( I wish I took a picture) I am talking..................BIG SAND CASTLES!
CatFromFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:31 PM  
Started

Thumbs up

Edgers - ha ha - isn't that the truth Cat?
Stormy's Human is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition